Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Politcal Rants by MINI

Go down 
+7
ivegotfleas1
rottnmom
Boston
Mousey
BigBrownEyes29
yorkiemom
Mini
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 19 Aug 2010, 11:02 am

Boston wrote:
I think my comments have been misconstrued. Maybe I was not articulate enough with my responses. I'm not supporting children to be forced to sit down and read the Qu'ran, Bible, Torah, etc. That is not the case at all. I'm not advocating teaching religion to students in that sense. I'm trying to get the point across that if we can decorate a door for Christmas why can't we decorate it for Chinese New Year? Who is it hurting?

I think that would be cool for schools to do this. I know my youngest son when the Christmas holidays came around (this was a couple years ago) learned about the Chinese New Year, Hanukkah, and how other cultures celebrated Christmas. He had lots of fun learning and participating in the class activities. I don't think it hurts anyone, except maybe close minded parents (lol). I believe it teaches children to be open minded and have tolerance to those who may not have the same traditions as them.

Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 19 Aug 2010, 11:04 am

Boston wrote:
I think my comments have been misconstrued. Maybe I was not articulate enough with my responses. I'm not supporting children being forced to sit down and read the Qu'ran, Bible, Torah, etc. That is not the case at all. I'm not advocating teaching religion to students in that sense. I'm trying to get the point across that if we can decorate a door for Christmas why can't we decorate it for Chinese New Year? Who is it hurting?

Boston I agree,

BUt this is what is happening. Christmas concerts and decorations in some schools out here is not allowed. NOt in our school which I am thankful for. But instead of christian views we are celebrating other holidays. ( which is okay.) But if you celebrate one- then Equal rights refer to celebrating all Holidays for each culture that has students in it. So to be fair to all cultures, then none of this should be in the school system.

Equal Rights is for everyone. I don't think it should be christian only. But it is for everyone. Not just what the majority of the student body represents. Tolerance and acceptance goes for all. Not just the views minority ( at this point)

Hence one of my comments about the Straight white parade. I have nothing against Black pride. Gay/lesbian pride. I am all for be proud of who you are. But I should be proud of who I am. Think about it for a minute. If I wore or started anything with white pride. What would the assumptions be made and accusation. I am a racist. Which is not the case.

The other thing I was talking to a friend about. I wasn't going to post.

But when Canadian Citizens in other countries want help getting out of a situation. Let me explain so it is not taken out of context. In some areas like Haiti and somalia. We have Canadian Citizens or people who have duel citizenship decide to move from Canada to live in these countries. Nothing wrong with that. They may have lived there for 20 or so more years. But when things get heated. They use their citizenship and call on Canada to help get them out of these situations. But why should Canada run to help them. Think about it. They made the choice to leave this country for whatever personal reasons. I am not talking tourists here to clarrify. Now they want the Canadian Government to come and get them out of these places on the tax payers dollar. Just to give you an example. A herc.. average cost s 10 k an hour. They want our soldiers to risk their lifes. We have lost people in the past providing this service.

In my mind, They haven't paid taxes, haven't contributed to our own growth and economy. Why should we fork over a mitt load to pull them out of a situation that is their own personal choice to be there.

Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 19 Aug 2010, 11:28 am

I have no problem with that Boston,where my problem lies is with the idea that it is no longer approiate to say Merry Christmas,which reflects my religious beliefs
and we are told not that it is not fair to other religions,

We have had Jehova witness around forever and they are great people,but when Christmas came around their children just declined to celebrate it

we no longer have christmas concerts but winter concerts,to me that is taking away my rights and my religion
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 19 Aug 2010, 11:38 am

sorry Mini, I just quoted over you post and fucked it up by mistake ... :!: I'll fix it.

Ok , fixed it
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 19 Aug 2010, 11:44 am

My comments in blue highlight.

Mini wrote:
Boston I agree,

BUt this is what is happening. Christmas concerts and decorations in some schools out here is not allowed. NOt in our school which I am thankful for. But instead of christian views we are celebrating other holidays. ( which is okay.) But if you celebrate one- then Equal rights refer to celebrating all Holidays for each culture that has students in it. So to be fair to all cultures, then none of this should be in the school system.

Equal Rights is for everyone. I don't think it should be christian only. But it is for everyone. Not just what the majority of the student body represents. Tolerance and acceptance goes for all. Not just the views minority ( at this point)

Mini, I would think it would depend on the area where you live in Canada. I would think that Windsor, Ontario is more racially diverse than Edmonton, Alberta. But I could be wrong, never been to or lived in Edmonton. In my kids school (not so much my oldest as he is in high school), having a Christmas celebration at school has never been an issue, singing the national anthem has never been an issue, learning about other cultures - their traditions and how they celebrate certain holidays has never been an issue. This is a school that has quite a mix of students who are from various ethnic backgrounds. I don't think it's fair to say that it's happening in all schools. If something is unfair in a school such as what you are mentioning, then it needs to be brought to the principal's attention that all celebrations for each culture (even Christmas and Christmas decorations) need to be celebrated or none at all to be fair. Sometimes some principals of some schools are totally clueless and it needs to be something brought to their attention.

Hence one of my comments about the Straight white parade. I have nothing against Black pride. Gay/lesbian pride. I am all for be proud of who you are. But I should be proud of who I am. Think about it for a minute. If I wore or started anything with white pride. What would the assumptions be made and accusation. I am a racist. Which is not the case.

This is not going to be popular amongst some maybe, but I don't think there should be any pride parade of any race or race pride of anything, doesn't matter the race. Unless it's a human race pride parade or a gay/lesbian pride. My view may sound close minded, and there is nothing wrong with a person being proud of their race, but IMO no matter what you're race, you can be proud of it but don't have to parade up and down a street about it.

The other thing I was talking to a friend about. I wasn't going to post.

But when Canadian Citizens in other countries want help getting out of a situation. Let me explain so it is not taken out of context. In some areas like Haiti and somalia. We have Canadian Citizens or people who have duel citizenship decide to move from Canada to live in these countries. Nothing wrong with that. They may have lived there for 20 or so more years. But when things get heated. They use their citizenship and call on Canada to help get them out of these situations. But why should Canada run to help them. Think about it. They made the choice to leave this country for whatever personal reasons. I am not talking tourists here to clarrify. Now they want the Canadian Government to come and get them out of these places on the tax payers dollar. Just to give you an example. A herc.. average cost s 10 k an hour. They want our soldiers to risk their lifes. We have lost people in the past providing this service.

In my mind, They haven't paid taxes, haven't contributed to our own growth and economy. Why should we fork over a mitt load to pull them out of a situation that is their own personal choice to be there.

This I agree with. This was a big topic of debate during the 2006 civil war in Lebanon. If you chose to move there and a civil war broke out, don't expect the Canadian government to send in troops to get you out. Ie. You can't choose to be Lebanese when it suits you, then Canadian when the shit hits the fan in your country. Maybe Canada should start doing like the U.S. does, and if a person wants dual citizenship, they have put in military service in Canada. I know of a few co-workers who have Canadian and U.S. citizenship status (born in Canada but have a parent that is born in the U.S.), they have had to sign a document that should there ever be a draft process in the U.S. and they are chosen to be drafted, they have to go.
Back to top Go down
ivegotfleas1
Admin
Admin
ivegotfleas1

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 19 Aug 2010, 1:26 pm

We don't have a Christmas theme at our schools either. It's frowned upon.
Back to top Go down
http://wgaf.smfforfree3.com/index.php
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 19 Aug 2010, 1:38 pm

today in the news

Disney land says muslim woman MAY NOT wear her punjab to work in the public eye

They insist she must wear a costume to preform on the stage.they have also offered her a job behind the scenes which she declined

She did not wear this head dress when she firs started working there apparantly but when she became a US citizen she decided she should be able
to wear it
Back to top Go down
ivegotfleas1
Admin
Admin
ivegotfleas1

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 19 Aug 2010, 2:25 pm

Imane Boudlal filed a discrimination complaint after being sent home without pay for refusing to take off her headscarf. The company says it offered to let her wear the hijab "in a backstage role."

A Muslim woman who works as a hostess at a Disney-owned restaurant filed a discrimination complaint against the entertainment giant Wednesday, saying they have repeatedly sent her home without pay for refusing to remove her headscarf at work.

Imane Boudlal said she has worked as a hostess at Storyteller's Café in Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa for two years and began wearing her hijab Sunday but was told she would have to remove it or take a job working out of public view.

On Wednesday, shortly after filing a complaint with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Boudlal made her fourth attempt of the week — the first with videographers, photographers and reporters in tow — to begin her afternoon shift at the resort-district restaurant, which features a Chip 'n' Dale theme.

Boudlal said she was again told to take off her hijab, the headscarf some Muslim women wear. Boudlal refused and walked out of the hotel, flanked by chanting supporters.

"I've been sent home," she said. "I thought maybe today is my lucky day because I have my friends, my supporters."

Disney officials said Boudlal has never been denied the opportunity to work.

"She's been allowed to work," said Disneyland spokeswoman Suzi Brown. "We've given her the opportunity to work in a backstage role the last several shifts that she's come in."

One backstage role the company offered was a room service cashier, an interim solution until a permanent one could be found, Brown said.

"Don't put me in the back," Boudlal retorted Wednesday, dressed in her workuniform of camp-style green slacks, orange vest and long-sleeved white shirt in addition to her white hijab.

Boudlal, who is from Morocco and recently became a U.S. citizen, said she approached her employer in June about wanting to wear the hijab on the job. She was told the request would have to be approved by the corporate office. When she followed up, she said, she was told the request was still under review.

Last week she was taken to the costume department to look for possible alternatives — a hat was suggested — and she was told she could not wear her own hijab, said Ameena Qazi, staff attorney for the Council on American-Islamic Relations, which is representing Boudlal.

"We knew Disney is very sensitive to their public image so we said, 'Go public,' " said Leigh Shelton, a spokeswoman with Unite Here Local 11, the union that represents Boudlal.

Brown said the hijab would be a departure from the costume policy for Boudlal's role as hostess.

"It has to do with the costume, every role at Disneyland Resort has a specific costume," Brown said, adding that a number of employees wear religious clothing and work behind the scenes. She could not recall whether there were any who worked directly with guests.

Disneyland is working diligently to accommodate her request, Brown said.

The news conference, held on a street corner in front of the hotel where voices were occasionally drowned out by passing traffic as little girls in princess dresses walked by, was not without its references to the "Happiest Place on Earth."

"My advice to Disney company … take a ride on one of your own rides, a little thing called 'It's a Small World,' which celebrates human diversity," Qazi said. "Imane is just celebrating that same diversity."
Back to top Go down
http://wgaf.smfforfree3.com/index.php
K-Flash
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
K-Flash

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 20 Aug 2010, 10:49 am

People coming to our country from other countries should be able to practice their right to religion/belief system/traditions etc (I mean thanks to Mr. Trudeau...everyone's entitled to this). HOWEVER....people/refugees/non-citizens of Canada SHOULD NOT have the right to circumvent our sovereignty to gain access to our borders without due process (namely the boat load from Sri Lanka). Frigg!!!!....if we want to talk needy and marginalized people, we can talk about those within our own borders, who struggle to provide the basics for themselves and their families. We can talk about those from other countries (Darfur, Ethiopia, Pakistan, Afghanistan) who perhaps are waiting patiently to come here, and yet a boat load (of predominantly males mind you...like really....anyone else see a problem with the mix of men:women & children here???) dictate OUR immigration process for us. This is a hunk of bologny!!! This should absolutely NOT happen!!! Nope...I'm not a racist. I enjoy and embrace other cultures, but I don't enjoy or embrace queue jumpers, and those that can muscle (figurately) their way into Canada. There is a reason why other countries are turning these boats away. AND Canadian officials are determining that this boat was retro-fitted to carry....oh wait...let's name it for what it really is....smuggle/traffick humans. Just wait...there'll be more to come. Canada's started a precedence here....unless of course Mr. Harper gets off his hinney, and recalls parliament to invoke a not-withstanding clause to deal with our lacks/open policy on immigration.
Back to top Go down
Amomma
Settling in
Settling in
Amomma

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 04 Sep 2010, 1:21 am

a different perspective

Is that the problem, then: are the Tamils, as it is said, “jumping the queue”? But there is no queue for refugee claimants. Of the 40,000-odd refugee claims Canada receives every year, about a quarter are made from Canada (as opposed to being made at embassies or refugee camps overseas). You show up with a valid claim, you’re in: doesn’t matter how many people arrive ahead of or behind you. The Prime Minister complains that the Tamils did not go through “normal channels,” but in fact it’s a completely normal channel: the only difference is they arrived by boat, rather than by plane.

Back to top Go down
Amomma
Settling in
Settling in
Amomma

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 04 Sep 2010, 1:29 am

ivegotfleas1 wrote:

A Muslim woman who works as a hostess at a Disney-owned restaurant filed a discrimination complaint against the entertainment giant Wednesday, saying they have repeatedly sent her home without pay for refusing to remove her headscarf at work.

Disney sucks. That is terrible that they would tell a woman wearing a hijab to work in the back where nobody will have to see her. Terrible.

If my daughter chooses to wear a hijab when she is older, I will take her to the store and help her select them. It hurts me that there will be people who will want my sweet girl out of sight. What is wrong with a woman wearing a headscarf? Ukranian grandmas do it, Catholic nuns do it, why can't Muslim women do it?

We live in a world gone mad. People are so in fear of what they do not understand, it just creates madness the world over.
Back to top Go down
Amomma
Settling in
Settling in
Amomma

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 04 Sep 2010, 1:39 am

Mini wrote:
If turbans are allowed ( and they are) then Christians should be able to not work on Sundays.

I do not see how the two are connected. The "day of worship" that each religion requires their observers to follow does not seem to equate with religious "symbols" such as wearing a hijab, a turban, a cross, a kippah, a kirpan, or a nun's veil.

By your logic Mini - if a Muslim woman can wear a hijab to the office, Jews should get Saturdays off... do you see how it is not comparable?

An argument that you might make that would be more logical could be - If a Sikh man can wear a turban as a religious symbol, then a Christian man could wear a cross on a necklace as a religious symbol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Politcal Rants by MINI
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4