Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Politcal Rants by MINI

Go down 
+7
ivegotfleas1
rottnmom
Boston
Mousey
BigBrownEyes29
yorkiemom
Mini
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Mini
Admin
Admin

Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 9:12 pm

kbullet wrote:
I was under the impression that people were hired for their skills, perhaps I'm naive but I have yet to have a problem being hired because I'm too white. I've had the fleeting thought about the NAACP and their scholarships for only "African Americans" (in quotations because not all black people are African) and how if white people set up a scholarship program like that it would be deemed racist... and I never thought that was fair, but then again, I am a majority. I have been given opportunities that others feel they haven't gotten. Racism is far too prevalent even now in days and it hurts.. why can't we all just be people instead of needing labels like white, black, brown, purple... We are all the Human race... now lets hold hands and sing, "We are the world".

They aren't hired based on skills

Every corporate even the military needs certain percentages.
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
Snitty
Warmed up
Warmed up
Snitty

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 9:17 pm

kbullet wrote:
I was under the impression that people were hired for their skills, perhaps I'm naive but I have yet to have a problem being hired because I'm too white. I've had the fleeting thought about the NAACP and their scholarships for only "African Americans" (in quotations because not all black people are African) and how if white people set up a scholarship program like that it would be deemed racist... and I never thought that was fair, but then again, I am a majority. I have been given opportunities that others feel they haven't gotten. Racism is far too prevalent even now in days and it hurts.. why can't we all just be people instead of needing labels like white, black, brown, purple... We are all the Human race... now lets hold hands and sing, "We are the world".

We are the world
We are the children
We are the ones who make a brighter day
So let's start giving
There's a choice we're making
We're saving our own lives
It's true we'll make a better day
Just you and me

:!: <-- me singing... Badly
Back to top Go down
Boston
Warmed up
Warmed up
Boston

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 9:19 pm

ivegotfleas1 wrote:
Boston wrote:

I'm trying to decide if it's even worth replying to this or if I'm just going to be brow beaten until I either give in or go away.

When I talk about teaching religion in school, I'm not talking about teaching 5 years olds about the five pillars of Islam. I'm talking about teaching inclusivity and tolerance about religion in the school setting. People are afraid of what they don't understand. I'm supporting children bringing items from their faith to school. Having their classmates ask questions and being open with the answers. When a child across the table is fasting during Ramadan, should the child asking why be told they can't talk about that here?

I'm not sure what you are talking about with regards to Christmas.

Different school boards make different decisions. Oh Canada is still played here. It is played in English, French as well as a mixture of both. Children are often taught the Sign Language to it as well. I don't see anything wrong with that. If the majority of children in a classroom are Japanese then why wouldn't you accommodate them? Exposing children to other languages can only help them in the future.

If the majority of the kids in the class are Japanese, then you must be in Japan! Would you go to Iraq and tell them how to run their show? That's what is happening here.

Anyway, most children that are curious about something will ask themselves, they don't need it taught in school. If you're talking about in high school and beyond, I don't think it's unreasonable to make it something that is available, but not forced.

Take a walk around an inner city school and I can almost guarantee you that the majority of students will be from a variety of cultures. It's quite lovely.

Iraq and Canada are not even the slightest bit comparable.
Back to top Go down
ivegotfleas1
Admin
Admin
ivegotfleas1

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 9:21 pm

Snitty wrote:
Mini wrote:

We always talk equality. We always talk Human rights. I agree with this.

Before people take offense. I am not racist. And everyone has the same rights. But I wanted to point out.. that it should be equal across the board.

I'm sorry But what?

Really how can one say they agree with equality and human rights and say everyone has the same rights yet at the same time make long posts clearly showing the opposite?

Why shouldn't they have the rights to their faiths and beliefs just because they come to Canada ?
Most people who are "Canadians" have parents or grandparents who came to Canada to give their families a better life, why shouldnt others be able to do the same?
Sure they shouldn't be given a free ride, But what about those who come here for a better life and end up having to drive a cab for shit pay even thou they held professional positions in their home country but left it behind hoping their children can be raised in a better country? Not everyone who comes to Canada are looking for a handout most come here willing to work their asses off to have a better life.

Does it really effect your life if someone has some doda on their head? Or if a kid in school learns to sing O'Canada in something besides french or English?

I'd be very impressed to see one child that knows our National Anthem in anything other than English or French. Hell, half of them don't know it in any language these days.

If the doda on their head isn't part of the work uniform, you don't wear it. It's that simple. If it's an issue, look for a different job.

***note to self, stfu***
Back to top Go down
http://wgaf.smfforfree3.com/index.php
ivegotfleas1
Admin
Admin
ivegotfleas1

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 9:24 pm

Boston wrote:
ivegotfleas1 wrote:
Boston wrote:

I'm trying to decide if it's even worth replying to this or if I'm just going to be brow beaten until I either give in or go away.

When I talk about teaching religion in school, I'm not talking about teaching 5 years olds about the five pillars of Islam. I'm talking about teaching inclusivity and tolerance about religion in the school setting. People are afraid of what they don't understand. I'm supporting children bringing items from their faith to school. Having their classmates ask questions and being open with the answers. When a child across the table is fasting during Ramadan, should the child asking why be told they can't talk about that here?

Different school boards make different decisions. Oh Canada is still played here. It is played in English, French as well as a mixture of both. Children are often taught the Sign Language to it as well. I don't see anything wrong with that. If the majority of children in a classroom are Japanese then why wouldn't you accommodate them? Exposing children to other languages can only help them in the future.

If the majority of the kids in the class are Japanese, then you must be in Japan! Would you go to Iraq and tell them how to run their show? That's what is happening here.

Anyway, most children that are curious about something will ask themselves, they don't need it taught in school. If you're talking about in high school and beyond, I don't think it's unreasonable to make it something that is available, but not forced.

Take a walk around an inner city school and I can almost guarantee you that the majority of students will be from a variety of cultures. It's quite lovely.

I have no issue with diversity. I have issue with others trying to change the way things are because they aren't from here. You're here now, join in!
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 9:25 pm

ivegotfleas1 wrote:
Boston wrote:
ivegotfleas1 wrote:
Boston wrote:

I have no issue with diversity. I have issue with others trying to change the way things are because they aren't from here. You're here now, join in!

:woot:
Back to top Go down
Boston
Warmed up
Warmed up
Boston

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 9:26 pm

Sometimes change is good.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 9:29 pm

Snitty wrote:
Mini wrote:

Before people take offense. I am not racist. And everyone has the same rights. But I wanted to point out.. that it should be equal across the board.

I'm sorry But what?

Really how can one say they agree with equality and human rights and say everyone has the same rights yet at the same time make long posts clearly showing the opposite?

Why shouldn't they have the rights to their faiths and beliefs just because they come to Canada ?
Most people who are "Canadians" have parents or grandparents who came to Canada to give their families a better life, why shouldnt others be able to do the same?
Sure they shouldn't be given a free ride, But what about those who come here for a better life and end up having to drive a cab for shit pay even thou they held professional positions in their home country but left it behind hoping their children can be raised in a better country? Not everyone who comes to Canada are looking for a handout most come here willing to work their asses off to have a better life.

Does it really effect your life if someone has some doda on their head? Or if a kid in school learns to sing O'Canada in something besides french or English?

I don't care if they learn it in 10 different languages. BUt do not force my children to learn it in their language.

As for the turban on their HEAD in the MILITARY.. YOUR DAMN RIGHT IT affects My life or my husbands life.

Equality MEANS.. that I can celebrate christmas and easter in our schools as I am christian. That my beliefs are recognized but not put on the back burner in order to celebrate other religious holidays. But christian holidays are not celebrated.

That is why religion shouldn't be in schools. Plain and simple.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 9:29 pm

Mousey wrote:
ivegotfleas1 wrote:
Boston wrote:
ivegotfleas1 wrote:
Boston wrote:

:woot:

I agree as well.. Very well put FLEAS
Back to top Go down
ivegotfleas1
Admin
Admin
ivegotfleas1

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 9:31 pm

Boston wrote:
Sometimes change is good.

My wife says that about my underwear. She's not so bright, it's only Wednesday Very Happy .

Sorry, I needed to go back to being me.
Back to top Go down
Snitty
Warmed up
Warmed up
Snitty

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 9:36 pm

Mini wrote:
Snitty wrote:
Mini wrote:

I'm sorry But what?

I don't care if they learn it in 10 different languages. BUt do not force my children to learn it in their language.

As for the turban on their HEAD in the MILITARY.. YOUR DAMN RIGHT IT affects My life or my husbands life.

Equality MEANS.. that I can celebrate christmas and easter in our schools as I am christian. That my beliefs are recognized but not put on the back burner in order to celebrate other religious holidays. But christian holidays are not celebrated.

That is why religion shouldn't be in schools. Plain and simple.

Sweetie, Nobody can "force" a child to learn anything, and if you have issues with anything being taught at a school you dont agree with a simple visit to the school saying you dont want you child taking part in whatever it is will slove that.

And how does it effect your life? Seriously its fucking head gear, Now if they were fighting over there and wearing then yeah I agree that shouldnt be allowed as it could cause safety issues but when just home on the base why try and take something away that makes a person who they are just because its not something you believe in?

I'm not Christian or well anything so to please me I'd like everyone to stop celebrating everything except Drunk Weds.

Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 9:38 pm

Woooo Drunk Wednesdays!

think I can get paid leave for it?
Back to top Go down
ivegotfleas1
Admin
Admin
ivegotfleas1

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 9:40 pm

kbullet wrote:
Woooo Drunk Wednesdays!

think I can get paid leave for it?

I can't argue this! 8)
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 9:41 pm

Head gear.. is personal

Religion is personal

Military oath

Country before self

Plain and simple..

Back to top Go down
ivegotfleas1
Admin
Admin
ivegotfleas1

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 9:41 pm

Oh chit! There is a rumour the under 19 crowd will be protesting "Drunk Wednesday" in the near future....drink up my friends!
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 9:45 pm

I think some change is good and some of the immigrants should change if they want to live here

I stand by if they are going to join the military they should wear the same clothes our men and women wear

I also don;t think they should be allowed to wear their sabres in a school setting

and they should learn our language as we are NOT planning to move to their country
Back to top Go down
Snitty
Warmed up
Warmed up
Snitty

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 9:46 pm

Mini wrote:
Head gear.. is personal

Religion is personal

Military oath

Country before self

Plain and simple..

So does that also mean wedding rings must be taken off before heading to work even if its just on the base?

Seeing marriage is a religious belief to most people which would make it a personal belief which if its country before self wedding rings have no place even on the base right?
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 9:49 pm

Snitty wrote:
Mini wrote:
Head gear.. is personal

Religion is personal

Military oath

Country before self

Plain and simple..

So does that also mean wedding rings must be taken off before heading to work even if its just on the base?

Seeing marriage is a religious belief to most people which would make it a personal belief which if its country before self wedding rings have no place even on the base right?

Do you think turbans only exist on base.. They are in kandahar.. IN THE FIELD.. SO it is not only on base.
Back to top Go down
Snitty
Warmed up
Warmed up
Snitty

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 9:52 pm

Mini wrote:
Snitty wrote:
Mini wrote:
Head gear.. is personal

Religion is personal

Military oath

Country before self

Plain and simple..

Do you think turbans only exist on base.. They are in kandahar.. IN THE FIELD.. SO it is not only on base.

Do you not read? I wrote -

Quote :
Now if they were fighting over there and wearing then yeah I agree that shouldnt be allowed as it could cause safety issues
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 9:58 pm

yorkiemom wrote:
I think some change is good and some of the immigrants should change if they want to live here

I stand by if they are going to join the military they should wear the same clothes our men and women wear

I also don;t think they should be allowed to wear their sabres in a school setting

and they should learn our language as we are NOT planning to move to their country

well said I agree

Why can other people have the same opinions as me.. hmmmmm
Back to top Go down
Snitty
Warmed up
Warmed up
Snitty

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 10:04 pm

yorkiemom wrote:

Maybe we should,.. At this rate they will all be empty :lol:
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 10:14 pm

I probably won;t be real popular here,but honest to god it you are moving to my country to better yourself then get on with it and learn the language and take off the damn turban
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 19 Aug 2010, 12:33 am

Interesting topic, wasn't expecting it to get to this many pages this fast.

Just my thoughts on this and it's not intended to offend anyone.

With Canada being a melting pot, and so many different religions people practice, I don't think religion should be taught in schools. I don't think there should be a Catholic school board, Muslim school board or a Public school board, just one school board that is not religion focused. I feel that school should be a place where children learn the necessary skills to become successful in whatever job / career they persue. A company cannot hire and fire someone based on their religion, so it should not have a place in school. Religion is something I feel should be taught at home by a child's parents or in church. I do however feel children should learn about some of the different religions people practice when they are learning about different cultures.

I have no issues with religions where the men are required to wear turbans. People should be able to practice whatever religion, though I do have major issues with certain cultures wanting to practice Sharia law in Canada.

Turbans in the military. I don't know much about or anything to be honest about military life. I can kind of see wear wearing one in the army could cause issues. I've heard some military state that when over in Afghanistan it's very difficult to distinguish al Qaeda from the regulary Afghanistans, and the lines can become blurred as one minute that person wearing the turban is fighting with you then the next minute against you. This is with those Afghans being trained to fight al Qaeda. A person wearing a turban and fighting with you, could easily be mistaken as fighting against you and this is the big risk they are taking. It's just one more thing for our military to have to add into the equation of an already extremely stressful and dangerous job. When you're in the military your duty is to your country comes first. Your family, religion and anything else takes a back seat. A person joining the military knows this before joining, but with so many casualties , can the country really afford to not allow someone to join over a religious piece of garment. IDK, it sounds like a catch 22 situation.

When it comes to languages, it's nice for schools to offer more than just French. But I don't think it should be forced on a child. I would love for my kids schools to offer Japanese and Madarin languages, seeing as how all business dealings now a days are with Chinese and Japanese companies.

kbullet wrote:

I've had this big debate with a group of U.S. African Americans on another forum myself, and this coming from someone who is black. I don't think there should be scholarships based on the colour of someone's skin or certain job positions put aside so that a company can meet a quota of diverse associates within their company based on a person's race. Job positions should be go to the most qualified person, no matter their race. Scholarships should go to the student who has worked the hardest and has the highest grades. But then I don't live in the U.S. or the South, so I'm not sure what life living down that way is like and what people of colour go through down there.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 19 Aug 2010, 1:16 am

Thank you BBE

When a soldier wears a beret. It means something. It is something earned. From the cap badge on the beret

When you see a Red Beret. It means that Soldier is an MP ( military police)

When you see a green Beret- It means that soldier is ( army)

Black Beret- Strat

Blue Beret - airforce.

and so on...

The beret stands for things. Each hat stands for a unit. From Airborne to horse and so on...

Berets were adapted since 1937.This is apart of the Canadian History.

When soldiers go out to the field. They are not unique. They train for each discipline. I am trying to explain this so please don't rip this apart. They train hard and train long.

YOu can't do one thing on base.. and practice another thing off base.

Here is some examples..

All based on religion. If turbans are allowed ( and they are) then Christians should be able to not work on Sundays. This can not happen. If you are in the field or a war zone. The field can refer to training. Fighting forest fires, ice storms and floods in our own country.

The 2nd one Fasting because of Religion. I can't imagine in a war zone.. where these men and woman battle for 60 plus hours in severe heat humping well over 100 lbs of gear and ammo on their back fasting. If they do, they are not only puting themselve at Risk. They are putting their whole section at risk.

This goes for prayer. You can't stop in the middle of a gun fight.. battling a blaze to say. Wait a minute.

I can only speak army and infantry. My hubby can't say if he gets bugged out ( called apon to drop everything and be prepared to fly out if he is on quick reaction force). Sorry it is Sunday. I don't work on Sundays. He would be up on awol charges so fast and face prison time.

My whole point to all of this. If we allow one.. we allow ALL. This is Equal Rights. But this doesn't happen.

Edit to add...

Wearing a turban under a helmet-Not sure if this is the case. This is an guess.. hubby is in bed. Protective helmets have to fit securely as a matter of safety. If the helmet doesn't fit properly.. then Yes they can get hurt.
Back to top Go down
Boston
Warmed up
Warmed up
Boston

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 19 Aug 2010, 10:51 am

I think my comments have been misconstrued. Maybe I was not articulate enough with my responses. I'm not supporting children being forced to sit down and read the Qu'ran, Bible, Torah, etc. That is not the case at all. I'm not advocating teaching religion to students in that sense. I'm trying to get the point across that if we can decorate a door for Christmas why can't we decorate it for Chinese New Year? Who is it hurting?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Politcal Rants by MINI
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next