Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Country not for Animals

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mini
Admin
Admin

Country not for Animals Empty
PostSubject: Country not for Animals   Country not for Animals Icon_minitimeFri 30 Jul 2010, 3:44 pm

http://www.globalwinnipeg.com/Revealed+Country+Animals/3336734/story.html

I just finished watching this video. It was on kijiji. It is a good documentary but I don't think the word usage in some ways covers ALL farmers as it indicates.

But the part I like and it is the truth.

Canadians want their animals to live good lifes. But are they willing to pay the price difference at the market. This is something that I can't see happening.

It is easier for me to say. Because all of my meat this year. Has been raised by me. Besides the chickens and the pigs. But they are raised on neighboring farms. My costs are alot cheaper as I don't buy from the market.

But this is such an important part...... I do believe laws need to be changed. But at what cost....

Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

PostSubject: Re: Country not for Animals   Country not for Animals Icon_minitimeFri 30 Jul 2010, 9:19 pm

Sorry but if you live in the city and you don't want to support factory farms then you need to eat organic meat, its really the only solution for populated areas that cannot raise there own.

It is more expensive but I have been buying it for years now.

There are many organic butchers and you can also buy lots of organic at the lablaws or superstores.

Its about double the price of regular meat/dairy/eggs but for me its worth it.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Country not for Animals   Country not for Animals Icon_minitimeFri 30 Jul 2010, 10:35 pm

If come across the documentary Food Inc., I highly recommend watching it.

Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Country not for Animals   Country not for Animals Icon_minitimeFri 30 Jul 2010, 10:49 pm

I hate in this documentary how they say ALL farmers..

I am not in agreement with some factory processes.

However, I do understand certain things with the hog industry. Their farrowing pens. Have to be like that. Only when they give birth and small like that till the little piglets are of size.. Mom aint going to roll on them. Most people that see a farrowing pen. Have no idea. They don't understand and call it cruel. I have lost `1/2 of litters without one. Due to the little pigs are born running. I don't think they should live in them 24/7. But during the birthing process.

ALso alot of people do not think cattle prods and stuff should be used on hogs or cattle. For cruelty purposes. Just like trainning tools for dogs. These are tools that if used properly do work. If used wrong is abuse.

Now organic, please don't get me started. you need to fully research organic and Know what farm your food is coming from. I don't want to go into a whole organic conversation. But sometimes when you purchase things that our organic aren't truly what you expect them to be.

Now, all of our meat is organic. I know how they are raised what they are fed. Yes, there is a huge difference in what is store bought.

If you know the cattle market, when prices go up.. it aint the farmers that make the money.. it is always the middle guy.

Now, truely think about the cost of food. I pay roughly 400 every 2 or 2 and 1/2 weeks. That is with NO MEAT. As we have our own. People can barley keep their roofs over their head. Never mind adding more dollars to their grocery bill.

I am trying to play devils advocate. Yes, their needs to be changes made. But as I will always say becareful what kind of changes you want. It has a landslide effect.

For the pictures of the cows at the auction. Is misbelieving. They are penned prior to sale. You can't have auctions with the cows grazing in the field. Depending on the auction house rules. I think that some rules could be better. But the video didn't acknowledge certain things. I have so many issues ( other with auction) You need to understand the whole process of slaughter and what it means when the vet euthinized that steer. I am in agreement with it. But you need to think of disposal of the body. Everything.

I am all for the treatment and fair of animals. Even the cow I hate so much that will be butchered in the fall.. Is living in the lap of luxury. But if you knew the process from start to finish. You will have the next stage banning all butchering of meat.

Just playing devils advocate here

Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Country not for Animals   Country not for Animals Icon_minitimeSat 31 Jul 2010, 12:25 am

Very true Mini...tis hard to explain. I have a certified organic market garden right next door to me yet I know for a fact when the crop duster flies over their fields and ours also get over spray. The grain fields are sprayed with roundup pre harvest and that's a common practise. As far as animal husbandry goes documentaries tend to show the worst scenarios.

What often comes to my mind when it involves animals and the treatment of them of farms some people whom are vegetarians make waves and want laws put in place, not disagreeing with that but some also have meat eating animals. The feeding raw trend which didn't work for me are farm produced animals who's meat they are buying.

NOTE...Mcpug (just a general comment and not personal) I truly believe everyone has the right to do as they choose what works for them.

I have heard some dog owners who berate kibble and feel raw is the way to go. On the farm things are far less sanitary if raw feeders are emulating wild dog menus...dogs can stomach a lot of garbage foods. My Border Collie has always supplemented his diet with "found raw" and grossed my dad out just yesterday when he ate a fly covered rotten mouse corpse, that's as natural for that dog as rolling in coyote and fox poop. He's done this his entire life and is almost 13.

Gah...I had stated before I really should quote and I didn't so I may be way off topic. twitch

Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Country not for Animals   Country not for Animals Icon_minitimeSat 31 Jul 2010, 1:09 am

pooper you are so right

There is a girl at work, her family farms all organic. They tittle their farm organic. She states that they don't use pesticides. They raise pigs and chickens. Now here is something alot of people don't know.

They are free range. But I asked Great.. so in the summer they route.. the birds eat bugs.. ect.. I said what do they do in the winter.Now in the summer time. They are supplemented with garden veggies ect..

In the winter they feed them chicken feed and pig feed. Because Organically speaking in our climates they can't have them free range due to the harsh winter.

Now lets pick apart Pig feed. Which is bought from champion feeds. It is not organic. Even more so when you have to feed the medicated stuff. Same goes for chicken feed. Because the gardens ( organically speaking cannot sustain the amount of animals throughout our winter months. Makes sense but a farmer can't butcher his whole crop ( speaking animals here) He needs animals to replenish in the spring time . In order to put the hogs/ chickens back to market.

So are they truly organic? Now lets dig a little deeper. lets say the chicken farmer Slaughters all of his chickens. He then needs to purchase chickens in the spring time. In order to keep his farming operation going. If he wants to remain in business. ( lets just talk meat chickens.. LMAO) so He needs to purchase chicks. He goes to the local hatchery to purchase his chicks. The cheapest place around. How do you think those chickens come from.

I am all for the ethic treatment of animals. I also agree their needs to be some different laws. But this documentary did nothing but display some odd things.

Like take cattle for example. Lets first talk Beef cattle. They showed Beef cattle in a pen at the auction mart. And went on about cruelty facing the cows. How are cows being treated unfairly. In order to get more money per pound. Those cows need to be fat. In order to keep contracts with buyers you need healthy cattle. Even more so in the wake of issues that have been taking down the cattle market. Droughts. Bse.. just to name a few. Cattle need grazing land and lots of it. In order to gain good Fatty weight. Now, in order to make money on your cattle. You need to have cows that have a good weight and not alot of fat on the cuts. HOnest to frick this is a science. My neighbor holds several of degrees in the agriculture field. And he is just barely scrapping by. I have learned so much. Based on cattle diet going to market. These cattle are not treated like poop.. as the video would like you to believe. Because if they are.... The farmer makes NO MONEY. there is no reason.. He needs his herd to be in good shape. He needs his cows to be reproductive in order to make money.

sjall we talk dairy cattle

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Country not for Animals   Country not for Animals Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Country not for Animals
Page 1 of 1