Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Home Depot bans all animals

Go down 
AuthorMessage
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Home Depot bans all animals   Thu 21 Apr 2011, 6:52 pm

While I get that there is a need to protect your employees and I really don't think its a good idea to have your pet in stores. I really wonder what happened in this case, did the employee bend over the animal causing it to get scared? Was the dog just ill-trained? I get that little dogs seem less likely to maim, but thats what gets people into this mess.

What does everyone else think? To me, it seems that the employee was at fault for petting a strange dog... although the owner has a responsibility to advise the stranger of any possible issues should she had known. I'm torn it seems.

http://www.windsorstar.com/life/Home+Depot+bans+pets+after+bite+incident+Ottawa+store/4656847/story.html

Kewl Chick

PostSubject: Re: Home Depot bans all animals   Thu 21 Apr 2011, 7:02 pm

I'm guessing the dog is not a social dog and it should not have been brought there in the first place. If this was me I wouldn't be bringing my dog into any store especially if it had stranger issues. I don't think there is anything wrong with bringing a well behaved dog but then most people seem to think their dogs are well behaved even though they are hellions

Don't compromise yourself. It's all you got
 Janis Joplin
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Home Depot bans all animals   Thu 21 Apr 2011, 7:08 pm

A few months back we were taking Tank for a walk and a stranger bent over Tank to pet him. Tank lunged at the guy, didn't get him, but it sure scared the shit outta me and the guy. I had no idea that the dog was going to react this way because when Tank saw the guy he didn't bark, growl, in fact his tail was wagging so I had no reason to warn the guy. This is my only reason for defending the girl who owns the dog. If she had no clue the dog would react like that, I really feel for her. If she did know, then absolutely she should be responsible.

Now, when I take Tank out for walks, I make sure he is beside me if people go by and I won't let strangers pet him. He loves people once he knows who they are, hell, I can't keep him off Boston, Trinnity, Twisted and Hoodie.

Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

PostSubject: Re: Home Depot bans all animals   Thu 21 Apr 2011, 7:37 pm

I really enjoy taking poodle boy out with me.
My "little" dog is spoiled but NOT in the way so many people make little dogs out to be.
My dog is treated the way I treat the big dogs but he is only 6 pounds and we make allowances for that.(furniture placement and things like that)
In no way though is he to behave any differently in public than the big boys are.
I personally do not think a little dog needs to be trained any differently than a big dog.
He is still a dog-lol

I seriously have no clue why anyone would get into any dogs personal space.
I see dogs out in public but I am not going to go pet them.
I just like my own I guess.
If I want to pet a dog...I'll pet my own.

If I was shopping and someone got to close into my personal space, I'd react too.
I really don't care if the dog is 6 pounds or 60 pounds, I'm not going to get in his personal space if I don't know the dog and the owner.

Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Home Depot bans all animals   Thu 21 Apr 2011, 10:32 pm

I wasn't aware that people could bring their dog into Home Depot. When I was doing training exercises with my dog and the dog trainer gave the assignment to bring our dog out to stores were dogs were permitted, my dog trainer was mentioning to the class that dogs could go into Home Hardware. But not Home Depot as they serve food just outside the store before you enter. Plus I don't feel it's fair to bring a dog into a store that's not pet related. Not everyone likes dogs and some people have a severe allergic reaction to them. I will admit that I do have issues with people bringing dogs into stores that aren't seeing eye dogs or service dogs that help their owner who happen to have a physical disability (ie. owner has cerebral palsy).

It doesn't matter if the employee was being dopey and put her face into the dog's face. It was the dog owner's responsibility to watch her dog's body language for stress signals and step in between the dog and the employee and make it very clear to her, not to touch the dog. Knowing her dog's limitations and taking action could have prevented that lady from getting injured.

"The dog's owner faces a fine of $610 for permitting the animal to bite or attack. She was also issued an order to keep the dog muzzled outside her home."

I think the $610 fine was fair, but how in the heck to you muzzle a Shih Tzu?

Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: Home Depot bans all animals   Thu 21 Apr 2011, 11:00 pm

I watched the interview with the woman who was bitten. Apparently she was helping put a parcel in an 'older' woman's cart. The dog was in the cart as well.......it was not one of those high sided, grocery cards but the larger, shallower type that sit high. After she placed the parcel she spoke to and petted the dog.......she thought she may have leaned over too close, but store video was reviewed and showed she barely leaned forward, let alone over the dog.

She had two pieces literally ripped out of her nose......one from each nostril. One piece was still attached by merely a thread of skin. She has no idea where the piece from the other side went. She is facing several more surgeries and her nose/face will never be the same.

It is a sad situation as it should never had happened, but my question would be if the dog would do this to what sounded to be a none threatening adult what would the potential be for it to do even more damage to a small child who might approach it in what could appear to the dog to be more threatening?

Lesson to all dog owners.......be alert to and aware of not only your surroundings, but also your dog's responses. Dogs who are known to have reacted aggressively or defensively to strangers should be either kept out of such situations or at the least be constantly monitored.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Home Depot bans all animals   Thu 21 Apr 2011, 11:20 pm

I am totally against taking my dogs into any store,I have no idea if the other animals who might have been or are in the store have had their shots,what kind of temprement they may have.

I just never thought it was a good idea,I know some pet stores allow it,but still why would I want to subject my dogs to other unknown dogs?

PostSubject: Re: Home Depot bans all animals   Fri 22 Apr 2011, 8:00 am

I saw her on the news last night, I could not believe the damage Shocked
Back to top Go down
Unhingedmom
Warmed up
Warmed up

PostSubject: Re: Home Depot bans all animals   Fri 22 Apr 2011, 9:30 am

My thoughts are that the store has a sign stating no dogs, so she must have asked somebody before bringing her unconfined dog into the store. Wouldn't one of the requirements be that she have full control over the dog, and that the dog wouldn't bite? While I understand that the owner is a senior and do feel badly for her, come on, the dog half took the worker's nose off. Sure, sometimes dogs can be unpredictable and do things we don't expect, but that doesn't make it any less our responsibility to understand our pets and to ensure they don't harm the general public.

I have three dogs and wouldn't take any of them into Home Depot. If we need to go shopping, they're more comfortable at home. I know my dogs and how they'd react. That's not to say they're unfriendly and bite, quite the opposite. They're friendly and view people coming up an aisle as their new best friends. Have you ever seen what a happy, friendly greyhound does? Some of them lower their heads, "smile" and chatter their teeth - it looks creepy as hell. I have one like that, I love it but she scares some people.

I don't think it's fair to take a dog into a store that's posted as "No Dogs". Not only is it unnecessary, but there are quite a few people in the world who just don't like dogs. They don't go into Petsmart, we don't go into Home Depot. In our lives we do a lot of things to ensure the comfort and safety of others, this is just one of them. I don't wear perfume if I'm going to visit somebody in the hospital, when I smoked I didn't light up anywhere where non-smokers would be bothered, my daughter doesn't eat peanut butter before going to her co-op at the local public school. I don't take my dogs to Home Depot.

Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

PostSubject: Re: Home Depot bans all animals   Fri 22 Apr 2011, 10:09 am

I guess I'm odd gal out on this one.
I have no problem with people bringing well behaved dogs into stores that allow them.
I don't put Chandler on the floor though or in a cart.
I carry him or put him in his "sling."
Most times I don't think anyone even sees him in the sling.

I take him to Liquidation World and the Dollar Store.
They know him by name at both stores and at Liquidators last week they gave him a squeaky toy free-lol
I have taken him into HD but I obviously won't be doing that anymore.

I live with seven dogs and my world does revolve around the furry beasts. I guess I am just used to having dogs around so it seems "normal" to me to see them everywhere I go.

Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

PostSubject: Re: Home Depot bans all animals   Fri 22 Apr 2011, 10:13 am

My mom and I were talking about it this morning and she says what I think is "normal" is not-lol
Back to top Go down
Unhingedmom
Warmed up
Warmed up

PostSubject: Re: Home Depot bans all animals   Fri 22 Apr 2011, 10:29 am

Don't worry Jersey, you're normal. I'm thinking from my own perspective and that's that none of my dogs is small enough to carry. If your dog's in a sling people have to get into your personal space to pet him. I just don't feel it's fair to have a dog getting into other people's space in a store where they aren't expecting it.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Home Depot bans all animals   Fri 22 Apr 2011, 12:00 pm

Yorkie - I understand your opinion about bringing your dogs into pets stores. But as long as your dogs are up to date on their vaccinations and are over 14 weeks old, brining your dog to a pet supply store can be a good training experience for them.

I bring my dog to pet supply stores (ie. Petsmart, Pet Value), not to be mistaken with pet stores quite a lot. It's been a good tool to help me in my training with her. Just a couple weeks ago while at the dog groomer's, a lady with a Yorkie on a flexi lead, let the lead extend as far it could go. The the little dog ran over to my big girl. If I didn't have the opportunities to take my dog into pet supply stores and pet charity events, she wouldn't have been comfortable with the dog running up to her wanting to play.

Unhinged - Even with a sign outside the store that states no pets allowed, due to the laws in Canada, an employee cannot question a customer about bringing a dog into the store. Not even the manager. I posted a thread a few months back about a woman who was bit in the face by her very aggressive Shih Tzu. This same woman had another small dog who she claimed was her service dog, but the dog was not wearing a service dog vest. The laws in the U.S. and Canada don't require a service dog to wear a vest. When the lady was kicked out of the store for bringing the dog, she threatened to sue the grocery store and if she did, she could have won. The laws should be changed so that some type of proof can be asked for when a person brings their dog into a store without the store being sued. Otherwise everyone could have a field day bringing their dogs into stores.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

PostSubject: Re: Home Depot bans all animals   Fri 22 Apr 2011, 12:02 pm

I go off into my own little world when I am shopping.
People have always been very nice to me and Chandler when we are in those stores.
If some were upset by me having a dog...I missed it.
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Home Depot bans all animals   Fri 22 Apr 2011, 12:09 pm

I do not bring Tank into any stores. I do not feel he is trained well enough to behave the way I want him to. When I go into a store I cannot stand the yappy dogs and I know that if Tank came with me and saw an animal, he'd be one of those dogs, so I just avoid it. He has a temperature controlled home that he is perfectly content staying at while I get him presents.

I absolutely agree that as owners we must be alert to our animals and their warnings.

PostSubject: Re: Home Depot bans all animals   

Back to top Go down

Home Depot bans all animals
Page 1 of 1