Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Windsor and Essex County pets snatched by coyotes

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Windsor and Essex County pets snatched by coyotes Empty
PostSubject: Windsor and Essex County pets snatched by coyotes   Windsor and Essex County pets snatched by coyotes Icon_minitimeThu 22 Jul 2010, 12:37 am

The coyote population is getting pretty bad out my way. The other morning, while outside with my dog, I heard a litter of coyote puppies across the field, along the edge of the woods. It really caught my dog's attention.

This will be a wake up call to a lot in the area, even in the city as they are starting to hang out there in broad daylight, in high traffic areas that you have to watch your small pets when they are outside.

By Trevor Wilhelm, The Windsor Star July 21, 2010

WINDSOR, Ont. — Packs of coyotes are roaming into urban zones around the Windsor area in increasing numbers, venturing into yards and even hunting family pets.

The latest victim might have been a three-year-old Pomeranian named Brandy. The eight-pound dog wandered into the darkness beyond her family’s home on Malden Road Sunday night, yelped twice in pain and disappeared without a trace.

“Throughout the county, out in the most open agriculture areas, the densest woods, the marshes, downtown urban areas. They are ubiquitous,” said Paul Pratt, a naturalist at the Ojibway Nature Centre. “They even come into quite crowded urban subdivisions. And they love to hunt pets.”

He said coyotes have only been in southern Ontario about 100 years, but the ones found here are much bigger than their western counterparts. Pratt said it’s hard to know for sure how many coyotes are lurking around the county, but added the population has been steadily increasing over the last couple decades. He regularly gets calls about coyotes, which can readily reproduce in metropolitan areas.

“Often, people see them right in town,” said Pratt. “They’ve become a lot more common.”

Nancy McCabe, field operations manager with the Windsor-Essex County Humane Society, said she’s received repeated calls about coyotes as well as foxes in Little River, LaSalle and River Canard.

“Really there’s nothing we can do,” she said. “They’re highly intelligent. Their smell is so developed. I’ve never had any success trapping one. Any type of human smell, they totally stay away.”

She said she tried to do some research online about how to set traps, but it wasn’t much help.

“You have to wear gloves and boots and there shouldn’t be any human smell around,” said McCabe. “Well, that’s next to impossible. For our large dog trap, you have to actually crawl right inside the thing to bait it.”

Pratt said the coyote’s penchant for pets is well documented. He said he recently read a study out of Phoenix, Ariz., that stated 40 per cent of the average coyote’s diet there is cat.

“The eastern coyotes are a lot bigger than the western coyotes, and they’ll take bigger prey,” said Pratt. “So they’ll go after small dogs and cats.”

Debbie Meloche thinks her little dog Brandy is among the casualties.

She said her family was out on the back deck Sunday night while Brandy and her other dog, a golden lab named Whiskey, were running around about 150 feet away on their stretch of property in River Canard.

They heard Brandy yelp. Meloche called out to her. She yelped again.

“Well, the second time I was off the deck heading toward the field, telling my son go get the flashlights,” said Meloche. “We’ve got the flashlights out, looking all over the place. We can’t see her at all. That fast. I’m going, ‘What the hell?’”

They got out the tractor with its big light and started searching.

“One’s going this way, one’s going that way, we’re going into the back bush, we’re looking everywhere,” said Meloche. “Not one peep. Not one hair. Nothing. It sounded like she got hurt. Then just gone. She’s nowhere.”

If Brandy were still alive, Meloche said, she would have come home by now.

“You couldn’t go pee without the dog coming with you,” she said. “She was right at your side all the time. If you were on the couch, she was up on the couch. She wanted to be petted and hugged.”

Meloche said she rarely sees a coyote, but hears them all the time.

“You’ll get woken up by the sound of them howling,” she said. “They sound like they’re right at your back window. It’s scary. It sounds like they’re right at our back patio door where our bedroom is. It’s not cool. What if we had a bonfire that night and the kids are out back and they happen to go a little too far?”

While there are “a few records” of people being bitten by coyotes, Pratt said humans typically don’t need to worry about being attacked. He did add that you should still treat them like wild animals and keep your distance.

“The only time anybody runs into trouble with coyotes is generally if they’ve been fed,” he said. “You should never feed them, because then they lose their fear of people.”

Meloche isn’t convinced.

She was sitting on the deck again Monday night. There’s a creek that runs beside her house, overrun with trees and weeds.

“You can hear the pups, the coyote pups over their crying,” said Meloche.

“Whiskey will not be outside anymore. I won’t even let him out at dark. Forget it. You’re going on a leash.”

© Copyright (c) The Windsor Star

Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Windsor and Essex County pets snatched by coyotes   Windsor and Essex County pets snatched by coyotes Icon_minitimeThu 22 Jul 2010, 1:21 pm

I seriously wish People would wake up...

On both sides of the fence.

I have said this before and I will say this again. I LIVE where coyotes are plentiful.

Yes, we have the dogs.. But we also take lots of other coyote measures.

Example. Joey is outside in his summer pen. He gets locked in the barn at night. When trixie was born. For the first few months. We locked her in the barn. These measures are on top of the dogs.

They are smart. They have adapted to us moving in on their territory and they survive and multiply.

Here they have no predator except man. They are opportunists. They are not scared of humans like people say.

They will CALL OUT your dogs too....
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Windsor and Essex County pets snatched by coyotes   Windsor and Essex County pets snatched by coyotes Icon_minitimeThu 22 Jul 2010, 1:29 pm

Mini wrote:

Here they have no predator except man. They are opportunists. They are not scared of humans like people say.

They're like that here too Mini, they have no fear of humans. i don't believe for one second they are human shy. Heck, they feel really comfortable roaming around the city in broad daylight in heavy traffic without a care in the world.

A couple years ago, I watched as I'm going to guess and say a female coyote in heat tried to lure my neighbour's GSD into the wooded area.

Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Windsor and Essex County pets snatched by coyotes   Windsor and Essex County pets snatched by coyotes Icon_minitimeThu 22 Jul 2010, 1:34 pm

BigBrownEyes29 wrote:
Mini wrote:

They're like that here too Mini, they have no fear of humans. i don't believe for one second they are human shy. Heck, they feel really comfortable roaming around the city in broad daylight in heavy traffic without a care in the world.

A couple years ago, I watched as I'm going to guess and say a female coyote in heat tried to lure my neighbour's GSD into the wooded area.

In this situation.. this is what occurs.

Not because she was in heat.

It is because once the dog is leared out. They go to the female. and then they attack and kill the dog. Coyotes are very territorial. The neighbors GSD was in their territory.

THe sound that coyote makes ... you will never forget it
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Windsor and Essex County pets snatched by coyotes   Windsor and Essex County pets snatched by coyotes Icon_minitimeThu 22 Jul 2010, 1:48 pm

I hate to harp on this subject.. but it combines a couple of things.

My kids go outside unsupervised. If you guys every come out and visit. We set up this place this way.. for lots of reasons.

On the left side of my house.. It looks kind of jammed.

We have the kids Play pen on the left side.. Trampoline.. swimming pools.. all of their toys. Because I have huge bay windows. I can do things in the kitchen and always have an eye on them.

When we were deciding where to put Boscos pen. We attached his Pen to the kids play pen. They are not ever outside unless Drake is running loose. If by chance Drake is not there. Bosco is. I have no doubt in my mind. That if something is coming. He will push his pen and jump it.

When we built the horse barn. We built it directly behind my back entrace. This is where their dry pasture is. If I hear a commotion. I usually open the back door and take a peek. Every pen. Every BARN.. or shelter has been carefully thought out and placed for the herds protection.

If they are in the back pastures with no view. Then they have a herd guard always with them. Whether it is honkey or the alpacas. The goats pasture I can see through my front. My pyrs are there.

It is hard to explain you have to see the set up. These are the precautions we take because we do have a mcdonalds drive through for predators.

It is so important..

Even my kids are educated. What to do if they see a strange animal.. Whether Cat. We practice and practice this. To the point. " they say.. MOM.. we know.. we know"

1. Never RUN
2. Never turn your back
3. Call the dogs.
4. Back away
5. When the dogs come. DO NOT interfer. Do not yell or scream. Let the dogs handle it.
6. If the dogs are not their. Back into the donkey or alpaca PEN. if you are close. Our donkey runs the perimeter if something is not supposed to be in the yard. Depending on where they are when they encounter it.

But you need to understand. Nothing gets in or close to our yard. Without the dogs going crazy.. even a stray cat.

But I keep teaching and practicing.. because you never know.
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1