Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Coyotes.. who is laughing now

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mini
Admin
Admin

Coyotes.. who is laughing now Empty
PostSubject: Coyotes.. who is laughing now   Coyotes.. who is laughing now Icon_minitimeWed 04 Nov 2009, 12:10 pm

Well the same neighbor, I vented with ( if you read)

This person used to laugh at me. Because of the precausions I take out here with coyotes. She used to say.. that they wouldn't hurt your livestock or your kids. She thought I was loonie the measures our family uses for coyotes.

Even more so, when we bring out the gun, when drake barks. Just as some inside info. Drake my old yard dog. Does not bark. The only time he barks.. if their are predators on our property or too close to the herd. He has different barks. When he has his low bark/growl. YOu grab the gun and the quad because something is not right. He is an amazing yard dog. My neighbor always laughed and laughed.. She kept saying mini, they will not eat your goats. HA

Guess what happened. They lost a 4 month old calf to coyotes. they also had friends who lost some lambs to coyotes. Now she is absolultley terrified of them. I feel like saying I told you so. Oh last winter.. I had coyotes stalking my dexter calfs.. She laughed when I threw honkey out in their pasture. She said they wouldn't take down my cows.... After I put honkey in their pasture no more coyotes...

She also laughed because how I trainned my children....I tell my children, they are not allowed outside unless they have a dog with them. If they see a strange animal. Back away raise their arms.. growl.. DO NOT RUN. Call the dogs. For if by chance ( which will never happen) the dogs do not come and they are not near the house. They are supposed to go into honkeys pen. ( our donkey) he loves those kids and would stomp anything that came near them. She laughed and laughed at me.. Guess who wants me now to breed a litter of my pyrs.. Yup.. she desperatly wants a pyr because she is scared. I so want to tell her. I have never lost an animal to coyotes. We take extra measures and we have excellent dogs. I have lost some cats. but who knows what happened. Heck I have my outside cats trainned.. by me shaking a bag of their treats on the deck.. They litterally come running when they hear that bag. Gosh people just annoy me.......
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Coyotes.. who is laughing now   Coyotes.. who is laughing now Icon_minitimeFri 14 May 2010, 1:39 pm

I just saw this post. It's funny how some people don't take precautions until something bad happens. My youngest son is not allowed outside unless he lets me know he's going outside to play. Some of my neighbours (mostly the city folk ones that moved out of the city), used to say "oh, they're shy they won't come up to humans". My ass these ones won't. They're not the ones with the yard the coyotes like to lounge in, in broad daylight yet. Just a few nights ago one was outside sitting at my side door growling (probably growling because my dog was on the other side of the door). I was in the laundry room and my dog was hanging out with me, even she (my dog) had this startled look on her face as if to say WTF. I've stopped taking late night walks, because they are getting just too brazen. At the obedience school a couple blocks from where I live, a lady was taking her little dog out to potty and made a quick 360 back into the school as a coyote was out in the parking lot growling at her.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Coyotes.. who is laughing now   Coyotes.. who is laughing now Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 12:21 pm

I really should be doing school work..

But just so people understand why I have the big old dogs..

I was doing school work last night. ANd holy shit the dogs went crazy. Drake was in the house.. barking and growling at the door. Not like him. Took the flash light out.. There in my yard were 6 coyotes. Now you may be asking where the hell our my dogs. A couple of more days they are being penned for. Sadie will be recovered and then they will work again.

Shit.. I can't let drake out.. cause well as you know he is getting older.. and really he wouldn't be able to fight them off. But they are way too close for comfort. Horses were in the back pasture. Gunner and the goat pen are on the other side. I didn't even think to load the shot gun... I said well here is Bosco's test. He is right outside my door. Pulled the pin on his pen. And My 230 pound puppy. Did his job. He floored out of his pen at a speed like a train.. Barking and growling. His hair standing up.

He chased them off the property. I don't think the coyotes knew what the hell he was as he is alot bigger then them He stood at the end of our driving in his protective stance barking and growling away. When I called for him. He came. So he passed this test with flying colors at 15 months of age.

ANd this is why, I have the big old dogs.. cause ya the pugs would think that they were the " big dogs" but they would be snack food. So would my baby goats and my duck. They would take them all down. However, I am not yet lost an animal. Besides a couple of cats. To any predators.
Back to top Go down
RedyreRotties
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
RedyreRotties

PostSubject: Re: Coyotes.. who is laughing now   Coyotes.. who is laughing now Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 12:37 pm

Good boy, Bosco!

I live in city limits, in a pretty highly developed area, and I have heard them several times.

I have 6 foot chain link, but I don't trust that they could not get inside it. If I hear them, my dogs come inside.
Back to top Go down
http://www.redyre.com
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Coyotes.. who is laughing now   Coyotes.. who is laughing now Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 12:52 pm

RedyreRotties wrote:
Good boy, Bosco!

I live in city limits, in a pretty highly developed area, and I have heard them several times.

I have 6 foot chain link, but I don't trust that they could not get inside it. If I hear them, my dogs come inside.

Actually Red,

I have seen coyotes clear my 5 ft and my 6 ft fencing like Deer. I live in an area that we are overrun with them. They are taking down 4 and 5 month old calves. they are packing in our area. They are not scared of anything. Which is why, I have the big old dogs. Another reason, I decided to fix my female pyr.. She would draw them in.. and I was so lucky that she would come into heat 3 times a year for the most part. Having to pen her.. Left my other pyr defending the herd by himself. Making him vulernable. As they work better in teams for predators. But yeah besides a couple of alpha roll issues between bosco and drake. Bosco is proving himself. Pretty soon, he may graduate to roaming the yard at night and not being penned up. I take precausions with him as he still is a puppy.
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: Coyotes.. who is laughing now   Coyotes.. who is laughing now Icon_minitimeTue 10 Aug 2010, 3:02 am

Another coyote attack in Cape Breton.....

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/9017495.html

"The source said that coyotes in the park have been “extremely aggressive” recently and at least four times in the past month. "

Considering ours are about the size of a small German Shepherd this is becoming more and more disturbing. I hate the idea of bounty hunting....too many yahoos out just for kicks, but on the other hand the escalation in aggression no longer can be ignored.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Coyotes.. who is laughing now   Coyotes.. who is laughing now Icon_minitimeTue 10 Aug 2010, 7:00 am

YIKES!
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: Coyotes.. who is laughing now   Coyotes.. who is laughing now Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010, 9:43 am

Well the park in Cape Breton where the publicized attacks have taken place have now put out live traps for coyotes. No luck so far catching anything, but the coyotes have been around to check out the traps........and piss on them Giggle
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: Coyotes.. who is laughing now   Coyotes.. who is laughing now Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010, 10:40 am

Bare with me here, severe lack of sleep causes my sense of humour to get a little screwed up....and I babble a lot.
Was reading over some of the comments posted to our paper's website on the previous article regarding the newest attack. Really makes you shake your head that the thoughts/ideas/idiocy that abounds.

"Quann said studies have shown that coyotes learn from one another. Therefore, he said, the coyote that attacked the girl and other coyotes in its group must be removed and destroyed humanely.

"We will try to locate this animal and maybe some others in the group and remove them; remove them from the population. We’ll have to destroy them and take samples." "

So are they going door to door (den to den) asking who the culprit was, do you think anyone will 'rat' him out?

" Parks Canada has launched an investigation, using the help of animal "conflict" experts and biologists to try to determine what prompted the attack and what measures should be taken, said Quann.

"What we do is we’ll be interested in getting that animal. We’ll be removing animals from that (social) group. The coyotes . . . are intelligent. They learn and teach each other.

"We have an animal (that) has learned and . . . taken things way too far. We’re trying to remove the influential main dominant animals." "

Hmm, 'conflict' experts? and what, psycoligists next? Good luck on being admitted into their 'social group'.

Regarding the deadly attack last fall....

"The attack prompted calls for a provincial cull of coyotes. The province instead has put a bounty on the animals’ heads. The bounty starts this fall."

A bounty on their heads........um, nope. $20 for a full pelt.......like how many people are going to go through all that trouble for $20.

And from the readers.......

I can't believe she didn't get eaten by the insects before the coyote got to her !!

Shoot them. We were here first.

I'm thinking maybe we should take all the ignorant people of this province on a tentless camping trip to the Highlands.

How about giving them some place to live? We have let Bowater, Irving and Stora clear cut the entire province. It is time that the NDP put a hard stop to this. If it costs a few hundred jobs - so what. Short term pain for long term gain. They have places to live, hundreds of thousands of acres in that park alone.....yet they seem to prefer subdivisions and school yards now.

It is stupid to say that we are invading their turf. Man should be before animals in all cases. These wild animals are coming in to suburban areas all the time. They have even been on the streets of New York City lately.

And the reply to the above....
Did you even read the story? She was not camping in her backyard taking a stroll while doing a bit of shopping on the streets of New York (strong argument though...because coyotes roaming the streets of NY is really relevant here)

Yes, well, best of luck with the cull. Coyotes are everywhere, but unfortunately not much habitat left for anything in Nova Scotia. Coyotes do learn from each other, so best to kill every coyote in the Highlands, quickly, as they will be onto us once we begin. Damn, we shouldn't have set up those cell towers on the park mountains

" using the help of animal "conflict" experts and biologists to try to determine what prompted the attack "
Lets have a Royal Commission to look into this. It shouldn't take more then 3 or 4 years. Maybe wake up the Senate and get then involved. Give some college professor a few million to produce a paper.

Mini will love this one.....

The cull is wrong. Sleeping outside of a tent in the middle of the woods is wrong. Leaving your livestock unprotected is wrong.
What is right?
Leaving the coyotes to live their lives. They've been amongst us now for decades, and problems have only arisen when we humans don't use our God-given brains, expecting everything to revolve around us.
Sleep inside a tent when you're in the woods. Protect your livestock with proper fencing and sheep dogs. Keep food refuse in air-tight containers.

Just from your own experiences you know that fences don't help.......and for anyone who lives in this province to give the advice about protecting with sheep dogs, they'd better do a little more research. The farmers are still fighting with the province to get the law on free running dogs lifted off their LGD's. If assistance dogs are permitted where 'pets' aren't in this province, why are LGD's not given the same license? Farmers are watching their flocks being decimated, yet are not permitted to protect their animals......because there's a law AGAINST it.

Guess that'll have to wait till the 'experts' can get around to doing studies and hiring a commission to look into the viability of permitting the use of guardian animals in an industry that has more than it's share of problems, then pass it along to the Senate too. Oh wait, they'll have to get in line behind the 'what shall we do with the coyote' people!! Shit.
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: Coyotes.. who is laughing now   Coyotes.. who is laughing now Icon_minitimeWed 25 Aug 2010, 10:27 pm

http://thechronicleherald.ca/NovaScotia/1198573.html

"Coyote attack on dog not abnormal — biologist

Packs often target dogs and cats to teach young to hunt, biologist says

By CLARE MELLOR Staff Reporter
Wed, Aug 25 - 4:53 AM

Wildlife officers have no plans to track down or trap a pack of coyotes involved in a fatal attack on a Labrador retriever in Guysborough County.

The male yellow Lab was killed by five coyotes early Monday outside a home in Manassette Lake.

Elizabeth Spears says she let the dog outside her mini-home and the attack occurred within seconds. The coyotes dragged the dog to the driveway and killed it.

"The local (natural resources) office will certainly be monitoring that area," said Mike Boudreau, a biologist with the Natural Resources Department.

"All you can do right now is monitor and see what is going on with that particular group of them. It is not to the point that (the department) is going to go in and take any animals out."

Boudreau said it is not abnormal for coyotes to go after pets outside, especially at night.

"It is quite possible that it is a family group (of coyotes) and that they are teaching young ones to hunt. And when they look at dogs and cats and feral cats, they are potential prey," said Boudreau, a biologist in Kentville who specializes in human-wildlife conflict.

There have been a number of reports from across the province of coyotes attacking, approaching or taking family pets, he said.

With The Canadian Press"

"occurred within seconds" "dragged the dog to the driveway"........and what if it had been a child that had gone out that door, instead of a dog?
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Coyotes.. who is laughing now   Coyotes.. who is laughing now Icon_minitimeThu 26 Aug 2010, 12:46 am

Our yotes and foxes I haven't seen lately but I know they are around with their songs and their nightly piles of poop. Really pleased with my dogs listening to the "leave it" command. However the Border Collie Bruno just can't resist rolling in the fresh stuff and wearing it as perfume...no matter how many times he gets hosed off, which he hates, he still does it.

I am coyote cautious, was caught just once in a situation where I was a tad worried when I had two, one in front of me and one behind in a small area. Was admiring the one in front and unaware of the one that was back of me til my dad started yelling and then I was holy crap and now really watch them better. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Coyotes.. who is laughing now   Coyotes.. who is laughing now Icon_minitimeThu 26 Aug 2010, 12:10 pm

rottnmom wrote:
Bare with me here, severe lack of sleep causes my sense of humour to get a little screwed up....and I babble a lot.
Was reading over some of the comments posted to our paper's website on the previous article regarding the newest attack. Really makes you shake your head that the thoughts/ideas/idiocy that abounds.

"Quann said studies have shown that coyotes learn from one another. Therefore, he said, the coyote that attacked the girl and other coyotes in its group must be removed and destroyed humanely.

"We will try to locate this animal and maybe some others in the group and remove them; remove them from the population. We’ll have to destroy them and take samples." "

So are they going door to door (den to den) asking who the culprit was, do you think anyone will 'rat' him out?

" Parks Canada has launched an investigation, using the help of animal "conflict" experts and biologists to try to determine what prompted the attack and what measures should be taken, said Quann.

"What we do is we’ll be interested in getting that animal. We’ll be removing animals from that (social) group. The coyotes . . . are intelligent. They learn and teach each other.

"We have an animal (that) has learned and . . . taken things way too far. We’re trying to remove the influential main dominant animals." "

Hmm, 'conflict' experts? and what, psycoligists next? Good luck on being admitted into their 'social group'.

Regarding the deadly attack last fall....

"The attack prompted calls for a provincial cull of coyotes. The province instead has put a bounty on the animals’ heads. The bounty starts this fall."

A bounty on their heads........um, nope. $20 for a full pelt.......like how many people are going to go through all that trouble for $20.

And from the readers.......

I can't believe she didn't get eaten by the insects before the coyote got to her !!

Shoot them. We were here first.

I'm thinking maybe we should take all the ignorant people of this province on a tentless camping trip to the Highlands.

How about giving them some place to live? We have let Bowater, Irving and Stora clear cut the entire province. It is time that the NDP put a hard stop to this. If it costs a few hundred jobs - so what. Short term pain for long term gain. They have places to live, hundreds of thousands of acres in that park alone.....yet they seem to prefer subdivisions and school yards now.

It is stupid to say that we are invading their turf. Man should be before animals in all cases. These wild animals are coming in to suburban areas all the time. They have even been on the streets of New York City lately.

And the reply to the above....
Did you even read the story? She was not camping in her backyard taking a stroll while doing a bit of shopping on the streets of New York (strong argument though...because coyotes roaming the streets of NY is really relevant here)

Yes, well, best of luck with the cull. Coyotes are everywhere, but unfortunately not much habitat left for anything in Nova Scotia. Coyotes do learn from each other, so best to kill every coyote in the Highlands, quickly, as they will be onto us once we begin. Damn, we shouldn't have set up those cell towers on the park mountains

" using the help of animal "conflict" experts and biologists to try to determine what prompted the attack "
Lets have a Royal Commission to look into this. It shouldn't take more then 3 or 4 years. Maybe wake up the Senate and get then involved. Give some college professor a few million to produce a paper.

Mini will love this one.....

The cull is wrong. Sleeping outside of a tent in the middle of the woods is wrong. Leaving your livestock unprotected is wrong.
What is right?
Leaving the coyotes to live their lives. They've been amongst us now for decades, and problems have only arisen when we humans don't use our God-given brains, expecting everything to revolve around us.
Sleep inside a tent when you're in the woods. Protect your livestock with proper fencing and sheep dogs. Keep food refuse in air-tight containers.

Just from your own experiences you know that fences don't help.......and for anyone who lives in this province to give the advice about protecting with sheep dogs, they'd better do a little more research. The farmers are still fighting with the province to get the law on free running dogs lifted off their LGD's. If assistance dogs are permitted where 'pets' aren't in this province, why are LGD's not given the same license? Farmers are watching their flocks being decimated, yet are not permitted to protect their animals......because there's a law AGAINST it.

Guess that'll have to wait till the 'experts' can get around to doing studies and hiring a commission to look into the viability of permitting the use of guardian animals in an industry that has more than it's share of problems, then pass it along to the Senate too. Oh wait, they'll have to get in line behind the 'what shall we do with the coyote' people!! Shit.

I didn't see this before sorry rot...

People are so stupid.. I have spent THOUSANDS of dollars just on fence. I have made my goat pen.. like Fort knox. We use no climb fencing.. Then hubby put stuco wire on top.. that comes inside..... and I still get them.

Unless you want to spend a tonne of money on roll bars.. Dig your fence in at least a foot. FENCES do not stop them. Don't give a shit what anyone has said. I am so sick of hearing.. COYOTES are scared Of people. When are people going to wake up. If in an area like ours. We have no non predator for coyotes besides man. Heck just yesterday 2 miles down from our house. Saw 8 in a field. They are packing for winter.. They aren't scared. They are used to humans.

As to your laws of LGD dogs.. and dogs roaming free. I wouldve of lost all of my goats/duck even the pigs. If it weren't for the my dogs. I know this as a fact... and I do have great fencing.

LGD dogs do not pack. ( well bred) they do not attack livestock. THey don't kill coyotes as this is the last thing they will do ( only if they have to) They are pretty lazy dogs.. to be honest with ya. But when they are needed.. watch out
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Coyotes.. who is laughing now   Coyotes.. who is laughing now Icon_minitimeThu 26 Aug 2010, 12:17 pm

I know alot of people are not going to like this comment

But I sooner shot a coyote.. then say oh well.. We have only had a couple of instances. But I credit everything to the dogs.

The thing is once coyotes find an easy prey.. they will be back for more.

I am so glad sadie was fixed.. because this is the time of year.. she draws them in with their heat cycle. And the coyotes try to call out the dogs... Hasn't happened this year.. since she is fixed.. and it makes for peaceful sleeping....

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coyotes.. who is laughing now   Coyotes.. who is laughing now Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Coyotes.. who is laughing now
Page 1 of 1