Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Need advice

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
M'Fredrick
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeFri 14 Jun 2013, 11:34 am

Sorry I shall rephrase my question. My children have been asking us to get them a dog. What is it we should do, prior to purchasing. Who or where would you go?  We adopted the cats from a rescue. Should we do the same for the dog?
Back to top Go down

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeFri 14 Jun 2013, 6:57 pm

Yes
Back to top Go down
M'Fredrick
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeFri 14 Jun 2013, 7:15 pm

Ok and what breed is best suited for children
Back to top Go down
J_Blackmon

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeFri 14 Jun 2013, 7:21 pm

It all depends on the type of person you are and what qualities you are looking for in a dog, for instance a Great Dane is a fast runner and a very fun dog to have around children but is it a great security dog, not likely.. they grow very tall and I am sure have back and joint issues even though they can intimidate people.

a Chew-wa-wa can be great for a family but again do you want something that small around children they get scared and they nip. My Brother who is 30 yrs old got bit by a Chew wa wa just cause he went into a back yard to do his job. Yeah he should have been careful but they also get small dog syndrome which can cause issues with larger dogs.

so why not put on the list a list of qualities that you would like to see in a dog and maybe that will help others suggest different ideas for you.

J_Blackmon
Back to top Go down
M'Fredrick
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeFri 14 Jun 2013, 7:29 pm

Ok so the Great Dane is good with kids, but has health issues. The Chihuahua small and nippy. Ok, I think I will stick with my cats, gecko and rat.
Back to top Go down

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeFri 14 Jun 2013, 10:05 pm

If you go to a Rescue or even your local S.P.C.A. they will help you pick a dog that suits your family and lifestyle. You will need to fill out application forms though and they will thoroughly check you out. 

Back to top Go down
M'Fredrick
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeFri 14 Jun 2013, 10:11 pm

Thank you, That's what we did with the cats. Which are a pleasure to own. Im just leery bringing in the wrong dog. As this is a lifetime commitment
Back to top Go down

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeSat 15 Jun 2013, 2:20 pm

M'Fredrick wrote:
Thank you, That's what we did with the cats. Which are a pleasure to own. Im just leery bringing in the wrong dog. As this is a lifetime commitment

I'm sure all rescues and even the S.P.C.A. would give you a trial run.
I recently re-homed my daughters dog and signed papers giving the new owner a week to see how things went. Needless to say everything went well.
Back to top Go down
M'Fredrick
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitimeSat 15 Jun 2013, 2:50 pm

Oh that sounds promising. We shall look into it further thank you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need advice   Need advice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need advice
Page 1 of 1