Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dog Training Advice

Go down 
+5
Mini
kbullet
Kewl Chick
pooperscooper
BigBrownEyes29
9 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Dog Training Advice Empty
PostSubject: Dog Training Advice   Dog Training Advice Icon_minitimeSun 20 Mar 2011, 2:28 pm

This topic came up on the dark side and thought I would bring this up here as it's turned into an interesting topic of discussion over there.

At what point when a person notices that there dog is displaying behavioural issues should they seek the advice of a dog trainer? Do you think it's wrong for the person to post advice on a pet related internet forum if the issue just started? Do you think only certain advice should be posted and if so what issues would you consider ok and what issues would you consider no, no's?
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Dog Training Advice   Dog Training Advice Icon_minitimeSun 20 Mar 2011, 11:58 pm

BigBrownEyes29 wrote:
This topic came up on the dark side and thought I would bring this up here as it's turned into an interesting topic of discussion over there.

At what point when a person notices that there dog is displaying behavioural issues should they seek the advice of a dog trainer? Do you think it's wrong for the person to post advice on a pet related internet forum if the issue just started? Do you think only certain advice should be posted and if so what issues would you consider ok and what issues would you consider no, no's?

I read that post and IMO there's no issue in seeking advice as sometimes someone will post a technique that makes perfect sense and others may have merit and the OP has a selection of ideas to meld together or use as stated. I work with many professional trainers and some statements they make will work with certain dogs but not all dogs. That said I often think HTS is a twit, had to say that...lol. Thought the Pitty pup was a gift for her dad?

I used to post quite often regarding horse questions of all types with my suggestions for problems that came up and as far as I was concerned it was on a "take it or leave it" basis. I don't think there are "no nos". Who's to say that any animal behaviorists have all the answers even in a hands on situation? Smile
Back to top Go down
Kewl Chick
Kewl Chick

PostSubject: Re: Dog Training Advice   Dog Training Advice Icon_minitimeMon 21 Mar 2011, 9:59 am

I don't think it is a problem to ask for different methods that work for others. Hopefully HTS will weed through the responses and see what works for her.

I have to agree with you Pooper on her being a twit who IS a pups for bucks breeder.

Ahem, and don't you mean her bully pup? :roll: How much do you want to bet she ends up having an oops litter.
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Dog Training Advice   Dog Training Advice Icon_minitimeMon 21 Mar 2011, 1:08 pm

I have no idea who ya'll are referring to because for the most part I avoid the dark side... I don't see a problem with getting help with small issues but when you start to notice that the advice isn't helping and you've tried everything, its time to move to the professionals.

I would never dream to open up all my problems to a forum full of novice trainers and pups for bucks people, but I would gladly post my issue here because I know that the lot of you are very skilled in training and you'd give me sound advice.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dog Training Advice   Dog Training Advice Icon_minitimeMon 21 Mar 2011, 6:08 pm

I haven't read the post or thread in question,however, I don't think there is nothing wrong in asking for advice as previously mentioned. Like pooper mentioned not every dog or animal is going to be the same and treated the same in regards to behavioral issues.

A good question would be at what point do you go to the professionals? As I have not read the thread, like I mentioned, but that is a good question for discussion.

For example, last night I received one of the pug pups back.- nothing temperment- I have a problem with the pup- so is it the owner that is acutally doing things incorrectly causing the behavior is my question and not following the advice of the breeder as my above example was clearly evident. ( I will post about it some other time... LOL

But everyone should be able to ask advice just need to weed through the negative comments from people who think they know everything and want to yell behind a computer name and insult those that just want to ask for tips........ Yes a hypocrite that I am sometimes- I know..
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

PostSubject: Re: Dog Training Advice   Dog Training Advice Icon_minitimeMon 21 Mar 2011, 7:37 pm

Reminds me of a conversation I was having on another forum about bite inhibition.......

I wont get into detail but there were obviously a bunch of "oldies" who apparently don't believe in socializing a puppy (it ruins the human K9 bond apparently) and instead of practicing bite inhibition they just correct the dog for biting and not expose it to any other dogs until its a year old.......makes perfect sense to me lol.

Honestly I think these dog specific forums are a little nuts at times, everyone's an expert, everyone has a comment and everyone has an attitude. Reminds me of mom forums only worse lol.

And of course the "trainers" on the forum want you to contact a trainer lol.

Its a little much for a puppy playing to roughly IMO, show me a puppy that doesn't play roughly.

I am a hypocrite to mini lol..... but it just drives me so nuts, I think maybe I need a break from all forums for a while, it makes my brain hurt.

Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

PostSubject: Re: Dog Training Advice   Dog Training Advice Icon_minitimeMon 21 Mar 2011, 7:45 pm

I don't see a problem asking for advice or tips and tricks.
I have asked for help with my dogs before.
I sift through all of the advice and "take" what I think I can use.
It isn't too difficult for me to see who has valid advice and who is a person I'd never listen to.

I rarely post about issues with my dogs except for here.
It feels safe to talk about here.
Not cause you will all pat me on the back but it feels like genuine caring here.
It's about the dog (s) not my ego.

Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Dog Training Advice   Dog Training Advice Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011, 12:38 am

Kewl Chick wrote:
I don't think it is a problem to ask for different methods that work for others. Hopefully HTS will weed through the responses and see what works for her.

I have to agree with you Pooper on her being a twit who IS a pups for bucks breeder.

Ahem, and don't you mean her bully pup? :roll: How much do you want to bet she ends up having an oops litter.

I won't bet against that one ever...funny you mention that, I had the same thought. What's weird on that forum is the numerous amount of people who are supposed animal lovers that support her after she was blatantly seeking a means to bypass CKC rules and register her pups. Also blatantly stated the pup was a Pit and then reinvented it's breed. Had a pup from the previous litter she saw for sale she said was for sale and in jeopardy as the man of the house was possibly abusive and left it there. Pups for bucks definitely. What I don't get is the support she gets, are they just stupid, or need to keep her around so they have someone to talk to because the forum is pretty dead? Of course there will be a fuss over the pupsters and many pics and forum fools drooling over the pups as of course they will be cute. The Pit pups in the future will be cute also, in a province where they are banned...DUH.

:roll:
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Dog Training Advice   Dog Training Advice Icon_minitimeWed 23 Mar 2011, 12:05 am

I won't go too much about the OP who posted that topic on the other thread. The puppy they were keeping out of their last litter, was all of a sudden sold. Think (JMPO) it had to do with not taking the time to properly train or spend any money on training. The this bull dog mix shows up in the picture a few months later.

I don't think there is anything wrong with someone asking for advice on the forum, just as long as they weed through the dangerous advice and try the subtle things. If those things do not show improvement within a week's time frame, then consult a professional trainer. Like I mentioned on the other side, I don't run to my dog trainer for every little issue I may see arise with my dog. An example of that was when my dog was when my dog was younger and started to think she could start resource guarding. I took the advise of experienced Rottie owners and breeders, and it was nipped in the bud. Had I not seen any improvement within a week, then I would have definitely went to my dog trainer for help. Not that she would have charged me anything to correct that issue, but there are dog trainers out there who would and I just don't think anyone would want to pay around $150 for advice on a couple solutions to one minor issue.
Back to top Go down
rotncorso
Settling in
Settling in

PostSubject: Re: Dog Training Advice   Dog Training Advice Icon_minitimeFri 25 Mar 2011, 11:24 am

pooperscooper wrote:
Kewl Chick wrote:

I won't bet against that one ever...funny you mention that, I had the same thought. What's weird on that forum is the numerous amount of people who are supposed animal lovers that support her after she was blatantly seeking a means to bypass CKC rules and register her pups. Also blatantly stated the pup was a Pit and then reinvented it's breed. Had a pup from the previous litter she saw for sale she said was for sale and in jeopardy as the man of the house was possibly abusive and left it there. Pups for bucks definitely. What I don't get is the support she gets, are they just stupid, or need to keep her around so they have someone to talk to because the forum is pretty dead? Of course there will be a fuss over the pupsters and many pics and forum fools drooling over the pups as of course they will be cute. The Pit pups in the future will be cute also, in a province where they are banned...DUH.

:roll:

+1000 on your post on HTS "question" thread. Couldnt 👍 there because I've been banned.
It surprises me that people will pay $1000 for her pups when they could go to a reputable breeder for the same price.
Back to top Go down
rotncorso
Settling in
Settling in

PostSubject: Re: Dog Training Advice   Dog Training Advice Icon_minitimeFri 25 Mar 2011, 11:36 am

BigBrownEyes29 wrote:

IMO, it depends. I've seen some pretty dangerous advice given out for issues like aggression that have made matters worse.
Like Jersey, to me its not difficult to see who knows what they are talking about and who is clueless, but reading some of the advice given out, many people will take bad advice and the dogs end up suffering for it.

It bothers me to see people breeding that dont know anything about dogs behaviour. One of the importand things about good breeders to me, is they are there to support you with behaviour and training.
Back to top Go down
K-Flash
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
K-Flash

PostSubject: Re: Dog Training Advice   Dog Training Advice Icon_minitimeTue 29 Mar 2011, 12:03 pm

I posted a reply in that thread. I guess it could have come across as a little harsh, but it's how I see things typically. I just think sooooo often, that people get breeds they have zero understanding of, and then when problems/behavioural issues occur, they are in reactionary mode. Indeed there is some merit to asking Q's about dog handling on a forum, but I think a person's first line of defence is research. People who get dogs, let's say a mixed breed...if they are having issues with behaviour, they need to dig deep as to what's going on to cause that behaviour....is it environment?...or is it DNA? What's a specific breed bred for....what traits are coming out?....there's so much to dissect sometimes, that it's certainly hard to assertain in a forum.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dog Training Advice   Dog Training Advice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dog Training Advice
Page 1 of 1