Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Training tools

Go down 
+2
yorkiemom
mcpug
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

Training tools Empty
PostSubject: Training tools   Training tools Icon_minitimeSat 24 Jul 2010, 3:28 pm

I wanted to avoid these but I cant anymore lol

I bought Violet a gentle leader, I read an article by Jan Donaldson that said they were a good tool to use so I thought I would give it a try.

We have been using treats and it does work IF you carry treats on your person all the time, if I walk her without treats she pulls, and she is very strong now.

I have not tried it yet as I just bought it this morning but I have been putting it on a giving her treats while she wears it just so she doesn't fight it when we do go for a walk.

What tools do you use or feel are acceptable to put to use?
When is a good time to put a tool to rest or is it ok to use the same tool for a long period of time if it works?

ETA I looked for the anti pull harness's (the ones with the clip at the front) but couldn't find them anywhere, my only fear with the gentle leader is A) she will hate it B) it looks like a muzzle which may give people the wrong impression.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

Training tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training tools   Training tools Icon_minitimeSat 24 Jul 2010, 5:10 pm

I have used the gentle leader,I was not crazy about it,neither was the dog,she ate it LOL
If a tool works then I see no reason to change what isn't broke
Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

Training tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training tools   Training tools Icon_minitimeSat 24 Jul 2010, 5:55 pm

Well tried it :o

All she wanted to do was roll in the grass for the first half but the second half was better, reduction in pulling for sure.

But I hate that it looks like a muzzle...... almost makes me feel like I am walking a horse lol

Anyways I will keep trying it until she is at least comfortable with it and then report back.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

Training tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training tools   Training tools Icon_minitimeSat 24 Jul 2010, 6:18 pm

Hopefully it will work well for you and her
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Training tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training tools   Training tools Icon_minitimeSat 24 Jul 2010, 7:44 pm

mcpug wrote:

What tools do you use or feel are acceptable to put to use?
When is a good time to put a tool to rest or is it ok to use the same tool for a long period of time if it works?

Though I'm not a fan of shock / electric collars and will never use one. There's nothing wrong with using any of the training tool available out there, just as long as the person has been shown by someone experienced how to use them properly. So that injury does not occur to the dog. I always recommend using the least aversive tool first (ie. a head collar over using an electric collar).

I don't agree with choke chains or prong collars being used on a puppy under the age of 6 months (would prefer not under 12 months of age) or on a newly adopted rescue dog.

I have used a choke chain, prong collar, martingale, gentle leader harness, gentle leader head collar. The prong collar and choke chain were used in the first obedience class that I had ever attended with my puppy. It was out of ignorance when it came to formally obedience training my dog and trusting a dog training who in my mind I was questioning every step of the way.

Left there and found a dog trainer who only uses +R methods and haven't looked back since. I have learned a lot about how dog's learn and +R training since then.

I do use a new trix collar (it's similar to a gentle leader head collar) but it's only used in certain situations where I know she will be extremely excited for the first 15 to 20 minutes while waiting for her turn to run the agility or rally course. Or if my son (11 years old) is going to be running her for the first round in class through the rally-o obstacles, it gives him better control of her. She does settle after her first round and it's not needed after that. It's something I'm still working on with her, but I think it's mainly she is taking longer than most Rotts to mature her age. Could be due to having her spayed early.

JMO
Back to top Go down

Training tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training tools   Training tools Icon_minitimeSun 25 Jul 2010, 9:02 am

I started using a Gentle Leader at puppy class for the Malamute on the recommendation of the trainer. We had no problems with it at that age. She didn't mind having it on at all, still wears it and she's going to be 4 in Sept. The trick is putting it on at a very early age. I used one for my last mal too but got it when she was older she used to roll around on the grass too, but that will pass, just make sure it is tight enough around the neck so she can't get it off. I recommend giving Violet a really special treat every time you put it on her so she will associate the halter with good things to come. It really is a godsend to have on a very large dog who decides to pull you.
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

Training tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training tools   Training tools Icon_minitimeSun 25 Jul 2010, 11:52 am

I used to use the Halti all the time on Tank as he is a puller, he hated it but it worked really well. Now I don't care as much and just use the flexi leash and let him run loose.... mostly because I want to let him be able to run loose in the park but I don't let him in case there are other dogs around.. He isn't the nicest player, he likes to tackle and play rough.
Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

Training tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training tools   Training tools Icon_minitimeSun 25 Jul 2010, 1:49 pm

Well we just got back from an almost 2 hour walk, it was GREAT.

The gentle leader works really well and violet was not fighting it at all today. I would not have been able to manage violet and the kids with just a collar and lead so it helped out a lot.

I took the kids downtown and we sat and got a slice of pizza and then walked back..... tired kids + tied dog = ahhhhhhhhh I am a happy woman right now Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Training tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training tools   Training tools Icon_minitimeSun 25 Jul 2010, 4:07 pm

Smile
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

Training tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training tools   Training tools Icon_minitimeSun 25 Jul 2010, 6:19 pm

Hopefully you have found the tool you need to better work with Violet
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Training tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training tools   Training tools Icon_minitimeSun 25 Jul 2010, 7:59 pm

that's good news McPug Smile
Back to top Go down
Kewl Chick
Kewl Chick

Training tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training tools   Training tools Icon_minitimeSun 25 Jul 2010, 11:12 pm

Glad to hear that you, the kids and Violet had a nice walk today. To me there is noting nicer then having dogs that walk with you and not against you. Congrats on taking the time to try and find an ideal solution. Would love to see some pics of Violet walking like a good girl.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

Training tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training tools   Training tools Icon_minitimeMon 26 Jul 2010, 3:36 pm

I just ordered a prong collar for Bosco. He has been really good in our little sessions so far. So I haven't had to use it. I think you should use any trainning devices that work for you and your dog.

There are some I do not like and do not work with our dogs.

I can see the shock collars not work with our pyrs.. Because electric fencing doesn't stop them.. lol..
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
Kewl Chick
Kewl Chick

Training tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training tools   Training tools Icon_minitimeMon 26 Jul 2010, 3:52 pm

Mini wrote:
I just ordered a prong collar for Bosco. He has been really good in our little sessions so far. So I haven't had to use it. I think you should use any trainning devices that work for you and your dog.

I can see the shock collars not work with our pyrs.. Because electric fencing doesn't stop them.. lol..

I think the shock collars are just not ok...my mini-pin had one on when we got her and the poor thing is still bald from where it would shock her. For the first month or two she would barely bark and now she is starting to find her voice again.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

Training tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training tools   Training tools Icon_minitimeMon 26 Jul 2010, 3:57 pm

Kewl Chick wrote:
Mini wrote:

I think the shock collars are just not ok...my mini-pin had one on when we got her and the poor thing is still bald from where it would shock her. For the first month or two she would barely bark and now she is starting to find her voice again.

It depends on how you use them.... Shock collars for barking purposes.. Sometimes depends on what you are using them for .. I don't agree with using them on little dogs... I have never used them. Have no need to.. Because the Pyrs don't go with the shock. Like I said they would be shocked by our old electric fencing and not even welp.. LMAO..
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
Kewl Chick
Kewl Chick

Training tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training tools   Training tools Icon_minitimeMon 26 Jul 2010, 4:15 pm

I know and poor LuLu had hers on while the lady was out and she was in her crate...I knew I couldn't leave the poor little thing there.
Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

Training tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training tools   Training tools Icon_minitimeMon 26 Jul 2010, 5:23 pm

I have never used a shock collar, BUT for barkers I would probably try a more humane spray type collar first, they have some now that make a beeping noise that the dog does not appreciate and ones that spray various smelly things lol.

We had a dog come through rescue who was trained with a barking type shock collar, only the barking was aggressive barking which in turn made a very aggressive non vocal dog...... a dog that bit/attacked without warning. Kinda scary, thank god he was a pug lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Training tools Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training tools   Training tools Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Training tools
Page 1 of 1