Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

cat advice

Go down 
+2
Jerseyfivedogs
Amomma
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Amomma
Settling in
Settling in
Amomma

cat advice Empty
PostSubject: cat advice   cat advice Icon_minitimeThu 03 Nov 2011, 12:49 am

I am a dog person, but may be willing to consider a indoor house cat. I am scared of any hissing or purring for some ridiculous reason.

These may seem like stupid questions to you smart cat people, but I really don't know.

- Are there some kinds of cats that make better pets for kids than other kinds of cats? If so, what are the very best, sweetest, non house destroying kind?

- Is it okay for your kids to sleep with cats? I don't see why not, but is there something I should know? My boy gets eczema sometimes, could sleeping with a pet have an impact - I suspect so.

-Other than those hairless cats, are there some kinds of cats that do not shed?

- I do not think it would be fair to a dog for us to get a dog right now. It would be locked up all day by itself and we are too busy to care for it properly - i.e. the exercise etc. Is this also a concern for cats? Everyone implies cats essentially look after themselves. is this true? What are the minimum requirements for a healthy happy cat?

- What's the worst things that can happen with a cat? Be honest, they walk on countertops when you are not home, correct? I am a bit of a clean freak and may have a hard time getting past this. I am not comfortable to discipline by spraying water on a cat. It seems mean and I guess I am scared it will attack me in retaliation, perhaps when I am sleeping or vulnerable.

I may hold out for a dog when we are able to properly care for it - like in 10 years I suspect! But maybe a cat could work. I don't know...
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

cat advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: cat advice   cat advice Icon_minitimeThu 03 Nov 2011, 7:46 am

I have 5 cats.
I will not be getting anymore cats.
IF I had to, it would be another Manx.
Noah, my manx is laid back and sweet in nature.
It took me two days to teach her to use the scratching post and she has never used her claws on anything else.
It took about two weeks of just saying no when she tried to jump on the counters.
All I have to do is give her the look if she starts thinking about it now.

You couldn't pay me to take another persian.

My siamese is incredibly demanding and is really loud when she doesn't get what she wants immediately.
She also likes to bite, although I was told that is a sign of affection.
Well, I guess she really loves me.
She is a really clean cat though and her coat is easy to keep brushed.

I don't like sleeping with cats but I do have allergies.

My "mutt" cats are nice cats but they have a few issues.
Andy will pee in fish tanks, so I had to get rid of my fish.

Roman is a nice boy too but he also bites if he gets too much affection. (petting)
I think you can over stimulate some cats with petting and they get nippy.
I am no cat expert though.

I personally will always be a dog gal.
I lose it if they puke up hair balls.
I can clean dog poop all day but put me in a room with cat puke and I gag and run.

Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

cat advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: cat advice   cat advice Icon_minitimeThu 03 Nov 2011, 8:39 am

OK all you cat lovers,stone me now lol

I hate cats,I have tired to learn to like them,my neighbours have cats and I tolerate them

I can't stand the thought of them walking on my countertops,or shedding cat hair all over my furniture

Their claws scare me to death,in fact I think cats in general scare me
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

cat advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: cat advice   cat advice Icon_minitimeSat 05 Nov 2011, 2:10 pm

I would check out your local shelter, bring the kids. This way they can interact with the cats and you'll know from there which one will be the perfect match for your family. If you have a dog, make sure the shelter knows that the cat you adopt or wherever you get your cat from, that is has to be child and dog friendly. Good luck and post pics if you do decide to get one.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

cat advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: cat advice   cat advice Icon_minitimeSat 05 Nov 2011, 2:45 pm

please don't stone me Razz

scrap the cat idea and get a dog

Neighbours got a cat from HELL,mind you my daughter brought it up from Texas,she found it after the Tom had killed all the others. bites like a bitch I know that about it

Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

cat advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: cat advice   cat advice Icon_minitimeSun 06 Nov 2011, 2:16 am

I'm thinking neither a dog nor a cat is the best idea. If there's no time to take the time for a dog forget it. Cats are not my favs although at one time I adored them. There are other pets you might consider though.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

cat advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: cat advice   cat advice Icon_minitimeMon 07 Nov 2011, 11:31 am

cat advice...

I have had about almost every breed.. and most cats survive mikayla... Max was one of the best.. rescue cats.. RIP.. however, another rescue cat.. Batman... is so tolerant of our little one.. as she puts diapers on him.. dresses him up..

I am always amazed with animals... for example... our queen bee... hormonaly cat.. hates almost everyone.. except the little devil child.. she sits there and lets mikayla put dresses on her....

but if you don't have time, for a dog.. a cat.. may be put on hold as well..... I know how hard it is.. when time is of the essence... and I try to buddy everything up.. as I don't like animals to be alone .. if you have a busy life.......

everything sheds.. and sheds.. lmfao.. some more then others..
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

cat advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: cat advice   cat advice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

cat advice
Page 1 of 1