Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Update on Larry

Go down 
+3
kbullet
yorkiemom
Mousey
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

Update on Larry Empty
PostSubject: Update on Larry   Update on Larry Icon_minitimeTue 26 Jun 2012, 3:20 pm

Well the results came back from his blood work. Larry is indeed diabetic. Now we have to figure out what we want to do. Obviously it is treatable but he will need insulin shots twice a day. With me being in the field almost everyweek my husband will be the one giving injections. I haven't talked to him yet...the insulin is not expensive but the needles are 20-30 every two weeks and not to mention glucose testing..
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

Update on Larry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Update on Larry   Update on Larry Icon_minitimeTue 26 Jun 2012, 6:12 pm

Trying to give a cat a needle is one hell of a job Mousey. I guess it could be done,but I would hate to try it
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

Update on Larry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Update on Larry   Update on Larry Icon_minitimeTue 26 Jun 2012, 8:11 pm

Larry is pretty mellow but then again I won't be the one doing it..lol
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

Update on Larry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Update on Larry   Update on Larry Icon_minitimeTue 26 Jun 2012, 8:40 pm

Smart girl,I know I wouldn't want to do it,but then I am not a cat person
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

Update on Larry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Update on Larry   Update on Larry Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jun 2012, 10:50 am

The reality is we may have to put him to sleep. This is a big comittment we may not be able to handle..still have have soo many questions for the Vet.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

Update on Larry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Update on Larry   Update on Larry Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jun 2012, 11:08 am

It is a huge commitment,someone just about has to be there. I personally would not do it,but that is just my take on it.
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

Update on Larry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Update on Larry   Update on Larry Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jun 2012, 11:21 am

That's the thing Yorkie, what if we leave for the weekend? Who's going to give him injections? And syringes in the house with my 4 year old son....It's not the price that's the problem, it's the commitment for the next possibly 5 years. My other cat is the same age and already he looks like he has an eye infection.....ugh.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

Update on Larry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Update on Larry   Update on Larry Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jun 2012, 11:43 am

It certainly ties you down Mousey,I would worry about the complications of the diabetes even with injections it takes it toll on animals as well as people,

My belief is that the vet bills will become higher and higher and I like my animals to be PTS when they are still feeling well,after a diagnosis that you know will be a rough go both for the animal and yourself but that is just my opinion.

I haven't said a word to the forum until this point,My tiny little yorkie was PTS almost a month ago. I noticed he could not get up from a lay down position,took him to the vet,he had hip dysplasia. I brought him home,but wasn't long befor I had to lift him out of his kennel in the morning. I chose to end it before it got any worse for him

No more pets in my world

You will make the right decision Mousey
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

Update on Larry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Update on Larry   Update on Larry Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jun 2012, 12:40 pm

I'm sorry you have to make such a rough decision Mousey. I feel like if the quality of life suffers for the animal than you are just keeping them here for you and no longer for them and their happiness.

Yorks, I'm sorry you had to make that rough decision.... I wish we could have been there for you.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

Update on Larry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Update on Larry   Update on Larry Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jun 2012, 12:58 pm

It's okay Bullet,I know all of you would have been here for me if I had decided to share it at the time.

I know from my last two experiences there will be no more pets here

Mousey,hang in there and do what you need to do without going on a guilt trip about it.
Back to top Go down
Boston
Warmed up
Warmed up
Boston

Update on Larry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Update on Larry   Update on Larry Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jun 2012, 1:29 pm

So sorry to hear about your loss Yorkie. Update on Larry 602200

Mousey, I'm sorry you have to make such a heart wrenching decision. It's never easy.
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

Update on Larry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Update on Larry   Update on Larry Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jun 2012, 8:12 pm

aww Yorkie I'm sorry to hear that Sad i will call and make an appointment to talk to the vet...I feel guilty because I know it's a treatable illness but on the other hand we have another cat the same age and Panzer as well. besides he's gotten used to be an outdoors cat (we could never manage to keep him indoors) so it may be our only option.....
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Update on Larry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Update on Larry   Update on Larry Icon_minitimeThu 28 Jun 2012, 12:06 am

I'm sorry to hear about Larry's diagnosis. I had to make that difficult decision with my two senior cats a couple years ago. Whatever you decide is the right decision for Larry. <<hugs>>

Yorkiemom, sorry to hear about the loss of your little one. <<hugs>>
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

Update on Larry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Update on Larry   Update on Larry Icon_minitimeThu 05 Jul 2012, 3:58 pm

I made the appt. Friday afternoon at 3pm. I chose to be in the room with him. I feel bad Sad
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

Update on Larry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Update on Larry   Update on Larry Icon_minitimeThu 05 Jul 2012, 6:28 pm

Mousey, we will all be thinking of you tomorrow. I know this wasn't an easy decision, I feel for you.
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

Update on Larry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Update on Larry   Update on Larry Icon_minitimeThu 05 Jul 2012, 7:59 pm

Thank you Bullet..
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

Update on Larry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Update on Larry   Update on Larry Icon_minitimeThu 05 Jul 2012, 8:18 pm

I'm so sorry Mousey,I know this can't be easy for you.
(((HUGS)))
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

Update on Larry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Update on Larry   Update on Larry Icon_minitimeFri 06 Jul 2012, 9:47 am

Thinking about you today Mousey. Update on Larry 602200
Back to top Go down
Kewl Chick
Kewl Chick

Update on Larry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Update on Larry   Update on Larry Icon_minitimeFri 06 Jul 2012, 12:52 pm

Sending you hugs Mousey, I'm sorry you have to make such a choice. Update on Larry 602200
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

Update on Larry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Update on Larry   Update on Larry Icon_minitimeFri 06 Jul 2012, 3:50 pm

It was hard, but it was also quick. she gave me the option of taking him home instead of putting to sleep right away and not treating the diabetes and waiting for him to deteriorate but I can't do that. You are right Yorkie, put him down now while he's feeling alright, It's not right to keep him around just for our sake. I was surprised at how quick it happened. I was there with him stroking his head so he wouldn't be afraid. I hope that made a difference, I really do Sad I felt so bad/sad.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

Update on Larry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Update on Larry   Update on Larry Icon_minitimeFri 06 Jul 2012, 3:58 pm

It definetly makes a huge difference Mousey,you have a right to feel sad,but I am not sure you should be feeling bad. You did what you felt was best for him,that is not a reason to feel bad Mousey.
Back to top Go down

Update on Larry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Update on Larry   Update on Larry Icon_minitimeFri 06 Jul 2012, 4:58 pm

Mousey wrote:
You are right Yorkie, put him down now while he's feeling alright, It's not right to keep him around just for our sake.

You made the right decision Mousey, thinking of you Sad
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

Update on Larry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Update on Larry   Update on Larry Icon_minitimeFri 06 Jul 2012, 9:20 pm

Thanks guys, I still can't help feel a little bad. I also tend to over think things.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

Update on Larry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Update on Larry   Update on Larry Icon_minitimeFri 06 Jul 2012, 10:23 pm

You did make the right choice Mousey, you really did.
I have a tendency to push and push and push it some more.
That isn't the answer.
Peaceful is always the right choice.
I am sorry.
No decision is an easy one.
You do what you feel is right in that awful moment.
That's all any of us can do.

Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Update on Larry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Update on Larry   Update on Larry Icon_minitimeSat 07 Jul 2012, 5:26 pm

You made the right decision Mousey. Just being there for Larry and not letting him suffer, he knows how much you care and love him. <<hugs>>
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Update on Larry Empty
PostSubject: Re: Update on Larry   Update on Larry Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Update on Larry
Page 1 of 1