Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cory found a tick on Seven

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

Cory found a tick on Seven Empty
PostSubject: Cory found a tick on Seven   Cory found a tick on Seven Icon_minitimeThu 24 Nov 2011, 8:02 am

My boy had a tick.
The emergency clinic said there is nothing to to after it has been removed.
Does he need antibiotics?
I've never had to deal with ticks before. Sad

I'll spare you the pics as they are so gross.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cory found a tick on Seven   Cory found a tick on Seven Icon_minitimeThu 24 Nov 2011, 8:11 am

I just pull them out, haven't had a problem, I've had to pull 3 so far. Put polysporin on if it looks infected.
Back to top Go down
Unhingedmom
Warmed up
Warmed up

PostSubject: Re: Cory found a tick on Seven   Cory found a tick on Seven Icon_minitimeThu 24 Nov 2011, 8:17 am

Ticks are nasty looking creatures, but if you get them soon enough it should be fine. Clean the area with antiseptic and give the poocher a hug. Did he get the whole tick, head included? Just in case, if it happens again, keep the tick.

My guys had a time and a half with ticks and fleas this year. Apparently it's a bad year for them here. That's no comfort, I hate bugs. Vet gave me a tool, looks like an itty bitty Barbie tire iron, to pull ticks.

Keep an eye on him, ticks CAN spread disease. That being said, don't be paranoid ~ I won't even TELL you how many I've pulled off my dogs, not to mention ME. Ewwwwww!!!!

Oh damn, now I've got the itchy itchy scratchy scratchy heebie jeebies, LOL.
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: Cory found a tick on Seven   Cory found a tick on Seven Icon_minitimeThu 24 Nov 2011, 10:32 am

Jersey, somewhere in my freezer is a ziploc baggie with three in it. One from last year the other two from Sasha's jaunt through the woods July 1st weekend. I had never had to deal with one till the first one last year and headed straight for google. As long as the head was removed with the body and follow up with an antiseptic you're good. I worried myself sick that first time. Second time around isn't anywhere near as rattling. ;)
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Cory found a tick on Seven   Cory found a tick on Seven Icon_minitimeThu 24 Nov 2011, 10:49 am

In your freezer? Are you experimenting with them to see if there is live after being frozen :lol:
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: Cory found a tick on Seven   Cory found a tick on Seven Icon_minitimeThu 24 Nov 2011, 11:00 am

yorkiemom wrote:
In your freezer? Are you experimenting with them to see if there is live after being frozen :lol:

Saving them for when hubby gets the munchies and wants something 'crispy' :lol:
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: Cory found a tick on Seven   Cory found a tick on Seven Icon_minitimeThu 24 Nov 2011, 11:01 am

Nawww, JK.. the articles I read mentioned keeping the tick just in case your dog does develop issues, so it can be tested. Forgot I had stowed it away until the next incident and figured they'd like the company Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

PostSubject: Re: Cory found a tick on Seven   Cory found a tick on Seven Icon_minitimeThu 24 Nov 2011, 11:05 am

I have one in the freezer now, just in case I need it.
I feel like Seven should be on antibiotics or something.
I was rattled alright, Emergency Clinic on one phone and a registered nurse on the other.
Boiling tweezers and all that googling.
That freaking tick was huge. Sad
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Cory found a tick on Seven   Cory found a tick on Seven Icon_minitimeThu 24 Nov 2011, 11:17 am

I know where I AM NOT coming for appetizers
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

PostSubject: Re: Cory found a tick on Seven   Cory found a tick on Seven Icon_minitimeThu 24 Nov 2011, 11:20 am

It's in a plastic container in multiple ziplock baggies.
They do say to hang onto it in case the dog starts to show signs of being sick.
(3 to 30 days I read)
Back to top Go down
Unhingedmom
Warmed up
Warmed up

PostSubject: Re: Cory found a tick on Seven   Cory found a tick on Seven Icon_minitimeThu 24 Nov 2011, 11:59 am

Bet you my tick's bigger than your tick, nyah, nyah, nyahnyah nyah.

:lol:

Honestly, I took a couple to the vet because she wanted to see what kind they were. I thought they were HUGE nasty things, vet told me they were just little babies. Gross me out. Then I found one on Quincy that I hadn't seen before because of his long hair. Omg, it was the size of a pencil eraser!

Amazing what the stupid buggers can live through. We stuck a couple in some water and nuked it. Really hoping that was just a muscular "after death" that they were doing afterwards!
Back to top Go down
Unhingedmom
Warmed up
Warmed up

PostSubject: Re: Cory found a tick on Seven   Cory found a tick on Seven Icon_minitimeThu 24 Nov 2011, 12:02 pm

Btw, Riggin came with some. We put all the dogs on Advantix.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cory found a tick on Seven   Cory found a tick on Seven Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cory found a tick on Seven
Page 1 of 1