Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dog breeds for first time dog owners

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Dog breeds for first time dog owners Empty
PostSubject: Dog breeds for first time dog owners   Dog breeds for first time dog owners Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010, 4:10 pm

Are there really breeds for a first time dog owner? It seems when you read up on dog breeds, there's always that disclaimer at the bottom that says "no recommended for a first time dog owner".

I have seen a first time dog owner purchase a Husky pup, not from a good breeder. Say this because there was no support from breeder at all. Dog owner knew nothing about puppy biting and puppy behaviour, and mistook it for being a viscious puppy. :roll: Even made the comment under her breath for some others to hear that she was going to take the puppy and dump it out in the country. :o I haven't seen the woman since so not sure if she has the puppy, I recommend giving the dog to a rescue and they can rehome it to a more experienced home if she's not willing to put in the time and patience in enrolling this dog into obedience classes.

Then there are first time dog owners, who pick a breed that IMO is really not recommended for a first time dog owner, and they do awesome at bonding and training their dog.

What breeds would you recommend for a first time dog owner?

Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: Dog breeds for first time dog owners   Dog breeds for first time dog owners Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010, 8:02 pm

I can think of lots of dogs that as adults would be great for first time owners.....but dealing with a pup and some of the energy levels/attitudes it a whole different ball game. Rather then recommend a breed for someone I'd look at getting them educated into general dog behavior and OWNER training first.......then depending on their personality, physical capabilities and personality look from there.

JMPO
Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

PostSubject: Re: Dog breeds for first time dog owners   Dog breeds for first time dog owners Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010, 8:34 pm

I think a pug is a good first time pet for pretty much anyone accept for an athlete who will expect the dog exercise a lot or someone who is a neat freak (hair, stink, pee lol) but they really have a nice temperament, most of them ear easy to figure out, decent to train, very laid back and easy going....... very forgiving.

But not a husky lol

I don't find labs or goldens good first time dog breeds either (or maybe its my area) I see a lot of nasty/wild/untrained goldens and labs in my area, it drives me nuts.

Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: Dog breeds for first time dog owners   Dog breeds for first time dog owners Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010, 9:26 pm

Had to laugh when I read your post mcpug. A good friend who has always owned boxers decided to get an English bulldog. A customer of ours, who owned two, offered to go to the airport with her when she picked him up. They dropped in to visit me and show him off on the way home. I thought my friend was going to faint when our customer asked her if she'd picked up a supply of wet wipes, then proceeded to inform her that yes, she will have to wipe his bum after he poops and also do daily (or multiple daily) cleaning of the folds on his face. Totally took her by surprise and threw her off a bit.....but she got over it enough to eventually add another bully to her family.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Dog breeds for first time dog owners   Dog breeds for first time dog owners Icon_minitimeSun 15 Aug 2010, 9:59 pm

Guess we probably would all reccomend something different,would depend on the people,what their lifestyle was like

Are the very active or are they couch potatoes,personally I would never reccommend anything,because if it went wrong,you can guess who would carry the blame for that one
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dog breeds for first time dog owners   Dog breeds for first time dog owners Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dog breeds for first time dog owners
Page 1 of 1