Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Coyotes and kijiji

Go down 
+4
BigBrownEyes29
Jerseyfivedogs
rottnmom
Mini
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mini
Admin
Admin

Coyotes and kijiji Empty
PostSubject: Coyotes and kijiji   Coyotes and kijiji Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2011, 8:56 pm

Wow I wish I could post on kijiji in regards to the thread.. oh their part of nature.. oh leave them alone...

Well ladies and gentlemen, since I lost my LGD- my gunner- damn I miss him- in more ways then one, it took them roughly 4 days to go into my goat pen, roughly 5 days to try and attack my mini, roughly 4 days to cause a rucus of tracks in my pastures.... NATURE MY ASS.

There are so many misconceptions about coyotes that it blows my mind. No offense to city dwellers for the most part.

This year in alberta the snow is so deep which means no food. Which means, I don't see them in the early morning or the evening. I see them at 330 in the afternoon. 400 yards outside my back pasture... Coyotes don't pack MY ASS. 2 days ago their were 8 of them in a field by my house.

The biggest problem, is they are not scared out in my area. I have mcdonalds drive through and I lost my biggest protector. Sadie is finally coming out of depression.. and I am hoping she will take over the role.. but time will tell. I don't leave my children unattended.. Drake is usually with them.. but it is not feasiable to be outside 24/7 with my kids.. Drake goes down- my kids are a target. This bull shit that they are scared.... HA.. come spend a night out here. Last couple of days I know they are stalking me in the bush.. hear the crackling... I have gone through so many boxes of bullets..... we have smoke barns.. traps and deterents set out everywhere.. but the tracks keep coming.. I have organized my pastures. I have put the vulnerable ones in lights...

The other day.. 2 coyotes on my drive way.. the kids got off the bus.. they were not scared I yelled and screamed they didnt move... I released bosco.. he took after them.. however, bosco doesn't go into my herd. All of you people who say- don't leave animals un attended.. I can't sleep outside.. and I made a vow to protect them.. Out comes the .22, shot gun and whatever else I can grab on my way.. as I am flying through the pastures.. sometimes I look rather crazy... shotgun goes a short distance.. .22 longer ( and a better kill shot) then the spread of a shot gun.

This is my reality. This is my life. Coyotes are so bad out here.. and it is getting worse.... so the stupid ass comments.. Sorry kill me. Because I would love to deal with just one or 2 coyotes out here.. I would laugh.. the problem is it isn't one or 2.. neighbor called me the other day and said they miss gunner.. they see the coyotes now.. never did when they knew the polar bear was out.. they are back.. and I am at war on them... If sadie doesn't snap out of it... it is going to be a long spring.... I refuse to loose an animal to them... not only do they bring alot of diseases with them.. they are scavengers.. they will pick easy targets and most of my babies are easy targets out here.

Oh and for those that say just get another LGD dog.. aint that easy.. I have had offers but what we went through cremating him.. Hubby isnt ready for another one. So it is me against them and I refuse to let them get at any animal here.

When I lived in MB you would see the odd one, no big deal.. Out in my area, they can take out a good size calve. Not just little toy dogs. I for one am sick of all the talk about people.. Yes we live in their territory.. but dammit.. there is enough bush around me.. they can live far enough away.... nope.. they want easy targets.. I am not providing them one.. If I shoot a couple .. I shoot a couple. I aint' going to cry about it- But I will continue to shoot them when they continue to put my family in harms way.
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

Coyotes and kijiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coyotes and kijiji   Coyotes and kijiji Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2011, 9:25 pm

Mini, I understand exactly what you're saying. And I don't have any animals to worry about and try to protect, except Sasha. The woods are less than 40 ft surrounding our house.......but they travel through our yard.

This was last weeks news........

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1232104.html

Pack of coyotes sighted in Fall River subdivision

Wed, Mar 9 - 4:53 AM
There’s been another sighting of coyotes in the Halifax area.

A pack of seven of the animals was seen by at least three people Tuesday on a public path in a Fall River subdivision.

CTV News reported that a man was walking his dog when he saw the pack.

He said he yelled at them but they stood their ground and didn’t leave until he began throwing rocks at them.

"I’m quite concerned," resident Heather Sanford told CTVThe Natural Resources Department said it’s unusual to see this many coyotes together but there is no reason for them to pay a visit to the area at this point.

The Canadian Press

This is where they were spotted.......

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=fall+river,+ns&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=37.462243,73.916016&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Fall+River,+Halifax+County,+Nova+Scotia,+Canada&ll=44.818011,-63.612041&spn=0.032816,0.072184&t=h&z=14

How many pet cats and dogs do you think are there? How many children???

Yet Dept. of Natural Resources aren't 'worried'........they see no need to send 'people' out to check it out or do anything about it. I wonder what it will take.........I actually hate to think what will spur it.

They have been spotted in Point Pleasant Park, in the south end of Halifax............zoom out on the map and see if you can figure out how they got there......cause they sure as hell didn't swim, that waterway is a lot wider than it looks. That park is the main walking, hiking, cross country skiing and pet exercise area in downtown Halifax.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Point+Pleasant+Park,+Point+Pleasant+Drive,+Nova+Scotia,+Canada&aq=0&sll=44.818011,-63.612041&sspn=0.032816,0.072184&ie=UTF8&hq=Point+Pleasant+Park&hnear=Point+Pleasant+Park,+Point+Pleasant+Dr,+Halifax,+Halifax+County,+Nova+Scotia+B3H+1B5,+Canada&ll=44.623587,-63.569469&spn=0.0314,0.072184&t=h&z=14

They aren't a 'problem' ?? I say BS and it's well past time that something was done before the government has to back peddle and explain to some devastated parents why their child needed to be a victim.

I hope for your sake that Sadie is able to take up her post and give you some relief.........until then take care and be careful.

Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

Coyotes and kijiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coyotes and kijiji   Coyotes and kijiji Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2011, 9:39 pm

I want more lights out in the field.
It is just too scary now as they are coming closer and are aggressive.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

Coyotes and kijiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coyotes and kijiji   Coyotes and kijiji Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2011, 9:39 pm

Rot, it is so bad out here... I don't go one night or day without seeing several of them.....that and that damn fox... my goat pen is well surrounded but the section by my house.. that is how they got in. I swear the only reason quakers and the goats are here... is cause molly is with them and won't back down.. good thing she is a stubborn cow..

Sadie has been penned.. The first day all she did was lay where gunner was buried.. then she layed in his house.. the other day was the first day.. I saw signs of life.. coyotes were howling close.. Iknew they were in the bush.. she was up on her pen.. trying to climb out.. I am not ready to release her yet... time will tell.. until then.. I will carry my best friends with me....... lol
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

Coyotes and kijiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coyotes and kijiji   Coyotes and kijiji Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2011, 9:47 pm

I forgot to comment on your links..

it is scary.. the more coyotes come near urban dwelling the less fear they have.. when will people realize this.. stupid people....it only takes once... only once.. problem is in the nature of things they do not have predators..... so who keeps things in balance.. and don't give me the shit.. few in litters....... every damn one of them seems like they breed.. lol
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

Coyotes and kijiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coyotes and kijiji   Coyotes and kijiji Icon_minitimeTue 15 Mar 2011, 9:50 pm

Reminds me what happened this weekend.. ha ha ha ha ha.. I had a babysitter... babysit for me.. and she saw the horses running around..kids were sleeping.. so she had to go check it out.. She said.. DON"T worry.. I remember you always told me.. to take a dog with me... I laughed and said don't tell me you took a pug.. ha ha ha ha... she said no I took drake.. I said good girl
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Coyotes and kijiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coyotes and kijiji   Coyotes and kijiji Icon_minitimeWed 16 Mar 2011, 9:08 pm

Mini wrote:
Reminds me what happened this weekend.. ha ha ha ha ha.. I had a babysitter... babysit for me.. and she saw the horses running around..kids were sleeping.. so she had to go check it out.. She said.. DON"T worry.. I remember you always told me.. to take a dog with me... I laughed and said don't tell me you took a pug.. ha ha ha ha... she said no I took drake.. I said good girl

:lol: Sorry, but that was funny.

They are worse than rabbits when it comes to multiplying. Four years ago, when my dog was just a puppy, I got up early in the morning to take her out for a potty break. I watched a coyote at my neighbour's house (3 doors down) try and lure the neighbour's GSD into the back of the woods. This same neighbour (the wife) runs an in-home daycare. She was mentioning that she can't even let the daycare children outside to play because the coyotes hang out very close to her back deck, and have no intentions of moving until they're good and ready to leave.
Back to top Go down
Amomma
Settling in
Settling in
Amomma

Coyotes and kijiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coyotes and kijiji   Coyotes and kijiji Icon_minitimeThu 17 Mar 2011, 12:34 am

Wow I just learned a lot here... one thing being that I am completely ignorant of coyotes. I, being a complete city girl, didn't realize they were a problem.
Back to top Go down
Unhingedmom
Warmed up
Warmed up

Coyotes and kijiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coyotes and kijiji   Coyotes and kijiji Icon_minitimeThu 17 Mar 2011, 7:47 am

You know, "City" vs "Country" aside, I wouldn't be surprised if coyotes came into my urban paradise to make a snack of my dog if I spent the winter tossing meat into the backyard for the local coyote population.

I have yet to see a coyote in our neighbourhood, but have seen and heard them not too far away. Buggers really get the dogs going in the middle of the night. One thing I have noticed is a marked reduction in the small animal populations in the area. We had a real boon on cottontails a few years ago, couldn't drive up the street at night without seeing them scatter ahead of you. Not so many in the past year. Even fewer raccoons. The deer population at Sifton Bog is down, no more deer cull controversy.

We do take reasonable precautions with our dogs. Don't let them out loose after dark/before dawn, well fenced backyard, somebody's usually out with them, and we never let the little guy out alone.

Sure, crap can still happen, but we do everything we can to protect our dogs. The OP on kijiji didn't. He was aware that his gf's parents fed the coyotes, he should have told her not to let his dog out in that yard. Better yet, not leave his dog there knowing her parents were less than stellar in the brains department. Going all yahoo with a gun on the local coyotes is not the answer, slapping the gf's parents upside the head might be more appropriate.

Speaking of which, guy three doors down feeds the wildlife from his back porch. We regularly see rabbits, groundhogs, skunks, and cats wandering up his driveway for breakfast. Wouldn't be too bad except for the fact that our back door looks a lot like his. We've had animals wander right up and stare in and they don't understand me when I tell them they have the wrong damned house. The squirrels are the worst. They come up to the patio doors and stand up on their hind legs, front paws and noses pressed up against the glass as our dogs go nuts. Feeding the wildlife is such a bad idea.
Back to top Go down
K-Flash
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
K-Flash

Coyotes and kijiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coyotes and kijiji   Coyotes and kijiji Icon_minitimeThu 17 Mar 2011, 11:23 am

I've stayed away from that coyote thread on kj...since my opinion would piss alot of people off...but from what I've seen in my area, and witnessed with coyotes....I say shoot the fuckers! They are brazen....have little fear, and well...goddamn noisy. There's a patch of land where we go to dog train, and let me tell ya....the coyotes come out in packs, and howl at us *nonstop*! No doubt, they're protecting a den, but my biggest concern is protecting my K9. They are ruthless little beasts, and some of the 'hunters" in our group, have considered packin' heat when they come out to that area to train. Sorry for your loss Mini.
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

Coyotes and kijiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coyotes and kijiji   Coyotes and kijiji Icon_minitimeThu 17 Mar 2011, 11:54 am

Flash, I have to go with you on that. There have been too many pack incidents in my area and in neighboring counties.

A good friend's ex was attacked as he shovelled snow away from his horse barn.....there is not food left around to entice them (full working farm, they know better). He is 6 ft tall and over 200 lbs.....no deterrent to them. Luckily it was his jacket and glove the bugger got.....but a family dog at a house nearby the farm was the victim of a pack the next day. Keeping in mind this is an historic homestead that is adjacent to a subdivision.

The average size here is 50-70 lbs.........taking on one would be more than enough challenge, a pack is outright deadly. A little over year ago a sheep farm about 25 min from me had lost 46 sheep that year alone......one coyote killed and dragged away the body of a 160 lb ewe. How much work would it be for them to do the same to a child out in a yard?

I honestly hate to say I agree with a widespread cull, but based on the escalation of attacks and packing over the last few years if something isn't done soon the consequences may be much worse than losing sheep or pets. Just ask the family of the young woman killed in Cape Breton.
Back to top Go down
K-Flash
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
K-Flash

Coyotes and kijiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coyotes and kijiji   Coyotes and kijiji Icon_minitimeThu 17 Mar 2011, 12:07 pm

oh heck...I'm bored today, so threw in my opinion on kj. You're right rottnmom...that young gal from Cape Breton was a victim. I'm sure her family would have an opinion as well. As I age in life, and read more about wildlife (bears, coyotes, wolves etc.)...there's a fine line between their preservation, and culling them. We have to be careful and weigh the costs of letting them live vs. letting them die. Indeed, there's a huge cost to people (who have livestock), that become victims to coyotes....as well, as the human cost.

I know, that I'm leary of walking in the wilderness from time to time.
Back to top Go down
Unhingedmom
Warmed up
Warmed up

Coyotes and kijiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coyotes and kijiji   Coyotes and kijiji Icon_minitimeThu 17 Mar 2011, 1:44 pm

I fully agree with protecting one's property and family from wildlife. But in the case of the OP on kijiji, letting the dog out into a property where the owners were FEEDING the coyotes would be the same as us taking fluffy to the zoo, rubbing him down with raw meat, and tossing him over the fence into the lion's den.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

Coyotes and kijiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coyotes and kijiji   Coyotes and kijiji Icon_minitimeThu 17 Mar 2011, 2:01 pm

Here is an example.. Yesterday at roughly 430 pm. I moved my momma goat and her two kids out to the barn- where joey are pig is. Damn good thing I locked and barred joeys door to his pen, Because by 8 oclock when I went out to check on them. I had coyote tracks coming from our bush line- pass where sadies pen is ( not a peep from her) jumped are gate and were digging at the kidding barn. They are bad and getting worse.....like I said. I will shoot them at this point. I am all for wildlife.. I even love hearing them sing- when they are at a nice distance. However, when you know they are 20 feet from you. Different story.

Most people don't understand ( not everyone) is that the main thing. Coyotes have no predators- wolves I believe were a good predator control for coyotes and territories. But since wolve population has decreased- coyotes are multiplying. We do need coyotes do not get me wrong- they are part of the circle. They are a good pest control. But it is winters like these- they are starving and they are not scared- which really freightens me. It is a never ending circle

Now back in the day- around deer hunting season- humans had controlled the population. Coyote pelts were worth something. Now they are worth nothing- so alot of hunters are not shooting them as they did in the past- which did control the population- now you have a population out of control in some areas- where the government has tried to step in and say- they will offer so much per coyote- to try to bring the problem under control. You have to ask yourselve why would the government offer incentives- if they didn't know their was a problem. My problem is- I am all for loving nature- and protecting nature- but their is boundaries to that.

Unhinged- it wasn't the fact that the dogs life was loss that made me irrated, it was the fact that other peoples comments. Coyotes should be scared of the scent of human to a certain extent. People need to realize the problems that others face.. and not just come out and say- oh well it is nature- we push them out of their land.

Normal ( from my understanding) coyotes do not pack- this and some other difference sets them apart for the wolves. So the first thing we need to ask ourselves why- across the country are we starting to see coyotes pack. First educated guess is that they are over populated.

I can go on and on about these problems... cause gosh darnit- I am sick of living it.. lol....
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

Coyotes and kijiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coyotes and kijiji   Coyotes and kijiji Icon_minitimeThu 17 Mar 2011, 9:27 pm

Mini, here the coyotes are not starving.....far from it. We have a local trapper that comes in the shop almost every day. He was talking a few weeks ago about two that he had gotten. Normally it takes him about 1/2 hr to flesh out an animal of that size. He told us that the two he got, one in particular, had as much fat on them as a well fed, under-exercised dog. It took him three times longer to remove the fat that they carried.

So now we have not only packs (generally one or two adults, with two to three young) ........but well fed packs. And they are stalking buildings, homes and school yards. That is not hunger......that is teaching the young that the closer to a building, the better the chance of scoring a big feed. And they are not discriminating between four legs and two.

Something has radically changed and they are becoming very comfortable in our 'space'.
Back to top Go down
Amomma
Settling in
Settling in
Amomma

Coyotes and kijiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coyotes and kijiji   Coyotes and kijiji Icon_minitimeFri 18 Mar 2011, 1:08 am

rottnmom wrote:

The average size here is 50-70 lbs.........taking on one would be more than enough challenge, a pack is outright deadly. A little over year ago a sheep farm about 25 min from me had lost 46 sheep that year alone......one coyote killed and dragged away the body of a 160 lb ewe. How much work would it be for them to do the same to a child out in a yard?

I had no idea
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

Coyotes and kijiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coyotes and kijiji   Coyotes and kijiji Icon_minitimeFri 18 Mar 2011, 9:16 am

Having lived in the country in Alberta,I have no love for the coyote,they had started running in packs before I left there,no fear of humans anymore,and in a bad winter I shudder to think what they may attack

In the small town where I lived we had 2 different familys that their little dogs were taken right off their porch

When I had the opportunity I shot the damn things and never gave them another thought

Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

Coyotes and kijiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coyotes and kijiji   Coyotes and kijiji Icon_minitimeSat 19 Mar 2011, 12:15 pm

Just call me RAMBO MINI... lol.. 2 down..... I was running through bush emptying a 22 clip...... this morning.. gosh snow is awfully deep..... damn things...

Dennis said I was like a mad woman.. lol.. well in a sense I am.. they are now coming into the yard.. too damn close. and they are now pissing me off...and I a angry fur momma....

Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Coyotes and kijiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coyotes and kijiji   Coyotes and kijiji Icon_minitimeSat 19 Mar 2011, 12:22 pm

RAMBO MINI ... lol I can imagine, I would be running after them too with a rifle. Those suckers run really fast.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

Coyotes and kijiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coyotes and kijiji   Coyotes and kijiji Icon_minitimeSat 19 Mar 2011, 1:07 pm

I was lucky this morning.. I let bandit out side.. and he was on the deck howling.. very unlike him..... I loaded the .22 before I went outside.. Dennis was like what r u doing.. I am.. like.. I know they are close.. and dammit... I will win.. He laughs.. and says don't shoot the cows or goats.. I laugh and said.. well someone needs to be the man in the household.. LMAO.. he was busy grinding meat.. long story... Drake tried to push his way out.. and I said not this time buddy.. momma is going to do it.. they were in the small little goat/kidding pen/ joey 9 the pigs pen) it looks like they were trying to break in joeys little door.. that I locked when I put the babies outside.. they cleared it as soon as they saw me.. My luck is that they hit the front pasture and flew over the fence..... I was shooting the whole time.. dennis I guess comes running outside and he sees me fly through the pastures.. unloading the clip.. I heard a couple of yelps.....good thing I didn't get hit with a rickashae bullets hitting trees.. lol... I came inside.. and dennis went outside to track them to see if I hit them.. He came in an hour later.. and all he said.. is remind me never to piss you off.. LOL.. he said you got 2. I said that is all there is.. We will leave their bodies where they lie, as a warning sign to their little friends.. Don't piss with this land.
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

Coyotes and kijiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coyotes and kijiji   Coyotes and kijiji Icon_minitimeSat 19 Mar 2011, 4:27 pm

Mini, your post got me thinking about how much you must be concerned about the kids being outside and out of sight.......even though I think you have mentioned the big dufus is usually with them.

Something came to mind, only because we recently had to replace the batteries. At work we have a wireless doorbell I picked up to eliminate the clerk out in the store having to yell out to the workroom or leave customers to come find us when we're working out back. It has a battery operated base which hangs on the wall out back and a doorbell that can be screw mounted on the wall at the counter.....we just leave it on the counter by the cash.

Something like that on a lanyard that one of the kids could wear around their neck or pinned to a jacket......and hit at the first sign of unwanted 'visitors' in the yard. That way you would be alerted by the alarm without having to be listening for a warning bark or worse.

Here's just an example of one that has a range of 1400 ft......there are others that will do about 300 ft and less $$.

http://www.gadgetshack.com/long-range-2000-foot-doorbell.html

The one I picked up was around $50, but got it brand new still in the package at a church rummage sale for $1. Believe me.......you really hear it and it saves a lot of aggravation and time. Might be something to think about if it means giving you an faster heads up to get into Annie Oakley mode

Just a thought. :idea:

Last edited by rottnmom on Sun 20 Mar 2011, 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

Coyotes and kijiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coyotes and kijiji   Coyotes and kijiji Icon_minitimeSat 19 Mar 2011, 4:32 pm

Forgot to add......tell hubby next time to get you on video. It would be much more fun to watch than trying to picture the sight of you Rambo-ing across the fields.

Back to top Go down

Coyotes and kijiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coyotes and kijiji   Coyotes and kijiji Icon_minitimeSat 19 Mar 2011, 6:29 pm

👍 Go mini Go
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Coyotes and kijiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coyotes and kijiji   Coyotes and kijiji Icon_minitimeSun 20 Mar 2011, 1:28 am

Makes a mental note, never piss off Mini. LOL

Rottnmom, that's good idea for when Mini's children are outside playing. Especially with summer on it's way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Coyotes and kijiji Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coyotes and kijiji   Coyotes and kijiji Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Coyotes and kijiji
Page 1 of 1