Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Inbreeding, line breeding

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mini
Admin
Admin

Inbreeding, line breeding Empty
PostSubject: Inbreeding, line breeding   Inbreeding, line breeding Icon_minitimeTue 30 Nov 2010, 7:38 pm

What are your thoughts. You don't need to be a breeder to comment...... Just what are your thoughts

Based on genetics, based on medical knowledge or simply just an opinion.

When you might inbree
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
K-Flash
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
K-Flash

PostSubject: Re: Inbreeding, line breeding   Inbreeding, line breeding Icon_minitimeWed 12 Jan 2011, 1:44 pm

Instead of starting another topic...thought I'd piggy-back off this one, since it's along the same lines. I was on a pedigree forum, and the topic came up...Breeding Mom to Son. It was predominantly GSD people, but thought I'd poke my nose in, and read some of the responses. Holy shit...was I surprised. Most were completely against it, saying to run away....far away from a breeder who produced pups using this mixology. However, some, said, basically "ok...well, if the line can handle it, then fine", and "there must be a really good justification for doing this". Since I'm complete dumb when it comes to this topic, can someone shed some light on how this can be justified? I've always been led to believe, that this is a major offence in the dog breeding world.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Inbreeding, line breeding   Inbreeding, line breeding Icon_minitimeThu 20 Jan 2011, 11:40 am

Sorry it took me a couple of months to respond, but I had to really think about this. One because I'm not a breeder but know of some breeders who do line breed (ie. aunt with nephew, uncle with neice). But I don't know of any who have bred with mother and son, father with daughter, brother and sister.

If someone is an experienced breeder, REALLY knows their lines well and has a very good reason as to why they are line breeding / inbreeding. To me the only good reason I can see is that the lines are known to score high in conformation or working venues. If you walk into a show ring or working ring and you hear the dog's show name, you know you will not have a chance in heck of winning. A breeder who does it because they want to skip out on paying stud fees to use another stud, have not proven anything with their dogs but wants to do a line breeding / inbreeding, I would be against it in that situation.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Inbreeding, line breeding   Inbreeding, line breeding Icon_minitimeFri 21 Jan 2011, 1:10 pm

Sorry guys....

First off.. the more genectics courses I study.. the more I am so against this..

The thoughts behind this-- is when doing this- you will enhance a certain phentype genectic trait.. or a desired trait in that generation. HOWEVER, which is very important.. You will also magnify and inhence genetic genes at the same time.

Oh I love how people say you need to know all the genectics of said animal.. and then it is okay.. IMPOSSIBLE to KNOW all genes in human or animal.
ALSO I will argue to I am blue in the face.. you may think you know your lines in and out. And you may Know alot. .but when talking about genes and mutations and chromosomal defects and how they arise. YOU DO NOT.
When crossing you have more chance of having more problems.. Maybe not in the offspring of the mating.. but down the line. THIS IS not the thing to do.

Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
K-Flash
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
K-Flash

PostSubject: Re: Inbreeding, line breeding   Inbreeding, line breeding Icon_minitimeSat 26 Feb 2011, 11:48 pm

Mini wrote:
Sorry guys....

First off.. the more genectics courses I study.. the more I am so against this..

The thoughts behind this-- is when doing this- you will enhance a certain phentype genectic trait.. or a desired trait in that generation. HOWEVER, which is very important.. You will also magnify and inhence genetic genes at the same time.

Oh I love how people say you need to know all the genectics of said animal.. and then it is okay.. IMPOSSIBLE to KNOW all genes in human or animal.
ALSO I will argue to I am blue in the face.. you may think you know your lines in and out. And you may Know alot. .but when talking about genes and mutations and chromosomal defects and how they arise. YOU DO NOT.
When crossing you have more chance of having more problems.. Maybe not in the offspring of the mating.. but down the line. THIS IS not the thing to do.

My apologies for late reply to my Q. I think your response Mini, is solid. I would have to agree with everything you've stated above.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Inbreeding, line breeding   Inbreeding, line breeding Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Inbreeding, line breeding
Page 1 of 1