Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Politcal Rants by MINI

Go down 
+7
ivegotfleas1
rottnmom
Boston
Mousey
BigBrownEyes29
yorkiemom
Mini
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Snitty
Warmed up
Warmed up
Snitty

Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 6:35 pm

Boston wrote:
I had a response typed up and then my internet crashed. GAH!! Mad

Anyway, I won't comment on the boat that came to Canada as I consider myself entirely uneducated on the subject. I don't know enough about it to give an informed opinion one way or another.

I will however disagree with your stance about religion. Plus I know how much you want someone to debate something with you. Very Happy I see nothing wrong with having a multitude of religions represented in the school system. Actually, I support the idea completely. Growing up I had no clue about Ramadan or Diwali. The only religion represented in my education was the Christian faith (and I went to public school, not Catholic). We had Christmas concerts, decorated the door for Easter, etc. Where was Hanukkah? Kwanzaa? Chinese New Year? It was a disservice to myself and my classmates not to have knowledge about other religions. Don't we want a tolerant society? Starting with the youngest members seems like an ideal place.

+1 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Boston
Warmed up
Warmed up
Boston

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 7:08 pm

Mini wrote:
Boston wrote:

Anyway, I won't comment on the boat that came to Canada as I consider myself entirely uneducated on the subject. I don't know enough about it to give an informed opinion one way or another.

I will however disagree with your stance about religion. Plus I know how much you want someone to debate something with you. Very Happy I see nothing wrong with having a multitude of religions represented in the school system. Actually, I support the idea completely. Growing up I had no clue about Ramadan or Diwali. The only religion represented in my education was the Christian faith (and I went to public school, not Catholic). We had Christmas concerts, decorated the door for Easter, etc. Where was Hanukkah? Kwanzaa? Chinese New Year? It was a disservice to myself and my classmates not to have knowledge about other religions. Don't we want a tolerant society? Starting with the youngest members seems like an ideal place.

LMAO- at your comments

No religion does not belong in schools. Or let me put.. YOu can options for classes on religion. Where if the student wants to learn various religions they opt for that class. But it should never be part of our curriculm and should never be forced on children to learn.

As for christmas. We don't have that now. Because being christian is not a good thing. It is like being white in this country. But yet in some schools they do celebrate other religious holidays. I do agree that it should be fair to everyone. Hence it should be an option as a parent I should have the write to refuse this kind of education.

YOu wanna talk about some more shit. How about... how are schools no longer sing OH canada. Or they have to learn oh canada in other languages because the schools population has the majority of kids in that language.

I'm trying to decide if it's even worth replying to this or if I'm just going to be brow beaten until I either give in or go away.

When I talk about teaching religion in school, I'm not talking about teaching 5 years olds about the five pillars of Islam. I'm talking about teaching inclusivity and tolerance about religion in the school setting. People are afraid of what they don't understand. I'm supporting children bringing items from their faith to school. Having their classmates ask questions and being open with the answers. When a child across the table is fasting during Ramadan, should the child asking why be told they can't talk about that here?

I'm not sure what you are talking about with regards to Christmas.

Different school boards make different decisions. Oh Canada is still played here. It is played in English, French as well as a mixture of both. Children are often taught the Sign Language to it as well. I don't see anything wrong with that. If the majority of children in a classroom are Japanese then why wouldn't you accommodate them? Exposing children to other languages can only help them in the future.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 7:18 pm

I think the point is I don;t feel that when hats are to be taken off that someone should be able to fight that in a well establised place as the american legion or amvets to be able to leave their turban on

I also think children should be exposed to other races and religions,but not be told they can;t carry a pocket knife buy Jameed can carry his sabre if that makes sense
Back to top Go down
Boston
Warmed up
Warmed up
Boston

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 7:27 pm

The turban is part of their identity. In Sikhism there is a code of conduct that they must follow. Keeping their hair uncut and covered is mandatory.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 7:32 pm

Boston wrote:
Mini wrote:
Boston wrote:

LMAO- at your comments

No religion does not belong in schools. Or let me put.. YOu can options for classes on religion. Where if the student wants to learn various religions they opt for that class. But it should never be part of our curriculm and should never be forced on children to learn.

As for christmas. We don't have that now. Because being christian is not a good thing. It is like being white in this country. But yet in some schools they do celebrate other religious holidays. I do agree that it should be fair to everyone. Hence it should be an option as a parent I should have the write to refuse this kind of education.

YOu wanna talk about some more shit. How about... how are schools no longer sing OH canada. Or they have to learn oh canada in other languages because the schools population has the majority of kids in that language.

I'm trying to decide if it's even worth replying to this or if I'm just going to be brow beaten until I either give in or go away.

When I talk about teaching religion in school, I'm not talking about teaching 5 years olds about the five pillars of Islam. I'm talking about teaching inclusivity and tolerance about religion in the school setting. People are afraid of what they don't understand. I'm supporting children bringing items from their faith to school. Having their classmates ask questions and being open with the answers. When a child across the table is fasting during Ramadan, should the child asking why be told they can't talk about that here?

Different school boards make different decisions. Oh Canada is still played here. It is played in English, French as well as a mixture of both. Children are often taught the Sign Language to it as well. I don't see anything wrong with that. If the majority of children in a classroom are Japanese then why wouldn't you accommodate them? Exposing children to other languages can only help them in the future.

why would you be brow beaten.. one of the reasons I took a break.

Religion is a choice. The believe system usuallys starts from home. I am all for teaching religion as option courses. Where students have the choice if they want to attend and to learn. However, I am against teaching religion as a core subject. What about the students that are atheists. Why do they have to participate in things they do not believe. Religion should not enter schools as a forced subject. I disagree with your statement fear comes from those that do not understand. It is my choice to be christian. It is my beliefs. I raise my children in their beliefs. If they want to learn more then they will make that choice and I will help educate them when they are old enough to make that decision for themselves. But it is a choice. It is personal. It is their right.

As for Oh Canada. Yes it should be played in English and French our national languages. This is where this rant came from. We are Canada. The more we try to accomodate other countries and languages as forced learning in our school system. We loose IMO who we are. If my children want to take a Japanese class ( like my niece did and learn our athem. Great) but it is her choice to do so. But if we learn the anthem in japanesse what about the other languages in that school. They may not be the majority. Equal RIGHTS go for all.. not just the majority. Then the anthem should be learned in the native tongue. In german, in spanish. In any language that other students come from. Then the lords prayer should be allowed. Then Christmas parties should be allowed. Then all of our christian beliefs should also be allowed. But they are not.
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 7:33 pm

Boston wrote:
The turban is part of their identity. In Sikhism there is a code of conduct that they must follow. Keeping their hair uncut and covered is mandatory.

In the military everything is uniform. Whenever you enter an establishment where the queens picture is hung you take you're head dress off so why must everyone take their head dress off but they can keep that stupid towel wrapped around their heads??
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 7:33 pm

Boston wrote:

Then don't join the Canadian Forces.

Hair cuts is because it is Healthier when you are out in combat. It is for medical reasons only. Not only... mouse can explain more ( edit to add) The beret is to determine what unit that soldier is in.

When you are a soldier.. Guess what you don't have an identity in a sense. You need to understand the military before making comments in regards to turbans on soldiers.

Back to top Go down
ivegotfleas1
Admin
Admin
ivegotfleas1

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 7:36 pm

Boston wrote:

If the majority of the kids in the class are Japanese, then you must be in Japan! Would you go to Iraq and tell them how to run their show? That's what is happening here.

Anyway, most children that are curious about something will ask themselves, they don't need it taught in school. If you're talking about in high school and beyond, I don't think it's unreasonable to make it something that is available, but not forced.
Back to top Go down
http://wgaf.smfforfree3.com/index.php
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 7:45 pm

oh and let's not forget the native people in the military (males) that can grow their hair long..i have nothing against the natives or anyone else but come on it's a military.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 7:46 pm

Mousey wrote:
oh and let's not forget the native people in the military (males) that can grow their hair long..i have nothing against the natives or anyone else but come on it's a military.

See their is no Equality.. I love that people say Equality for all.. This is correct.. FOR ALL..

So my hubby should be able to have long hair and wear his jeans out in the field. Or have his ears pierced...

Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 7:49 pm

Mini wrote:
Mousey wrote:

See their is no Equality.. I love that people say Equality for all.. This is correct.. FOR ALL..

So my hubby should be able to have long hair and wear his jeans out in the field. Or have his ears pierced...

Whatever happened to uniformity and there are no individuals? I see lots of individuals in Gagetown..turbans, ponytails..I thought an army was everyone the same no identity.
Back to top Go down
Boston
Warmed up
Warmed up
Boston

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 7:50 pm

Mini wrote:
Boston wrote:
Mini wrote:
Boston wrote:

LMAO- at your comments

Religion is a choice. The believe system usuallys starts from home. I am all for teaching religion as option courses. Where students have the choice if they want to attend and to learn. However, I am against teaching religion as a core subject. What about the students that are atheists. Why do they have to participate in things they do not believe. Religion should not enter schools as a forced subject. I disagree with your statement fear comes from those that do not understand. It is my choice to be christian. It is my beliefs. I raise my children in their beliefs. If they want to learn more then they will make that choice and I will help educate them when they are old enough to make that decision for themselves. But it is a choice. It is personal. It is their right.

As for Oh Canada. Yes it should be played in English and French our national languages. This is where this rant came from. We are Canada. The more we try to accomodate other countries and languages as forced learning in our school system. We loose IMO who we are. If my children want to take a Japanese class ( like my niece did and learn our athem. Great) but it is her choice to do so. But if we learn the anthem in japanesse what about the other languages in that school. They may not be the majority. Equal RIGHTS go for all.. not just the majority. Then the anthem should be learned in the native tongue. In german, in spanish. In any language that other students come from. Then the lords prayer should be allowed. Then Christmas parties should be allowed. Then all of our christian beliefs should also be allowed. But they are not.

My opinions were laughed at as if they are somehow less than yours. I'm not putting your opinions down, I'm disagreeing with you. I thought that is what you wanted.

I've already explained what I meant by teaching religion in the school system. It's pretty clear in that post that I don't mean teaching religion as a core subject.

Re: Athiests

I never mentioned anything about forcing children to participate in religious celebrations. Talking about and participating in are two very different things.

Yes we are Canada. A multicultural country. Where everybody is given the same basic human rights. Religion being one of them.

Last edited by Boston on Wed 18 Aug 2010, 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 7:56 pm

Mousey wrote:
Mini wrote:
Mousey wrote:

Whatever happened to uniformity and there are no individuals? I see lots of individuals in Gagetown..turbans, ponytails..I thought an army was everyone the same no identity.

There is a reason for that.. But we are slipping away from that. This country is so scared of stepping on toes.. and trying to please everyone..

It will hurt us in the LONG run...... but citizens just don't realize it yet
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 8:00 pm

Boston wrote:
Mini wrote:
Boston wrote:
Mini wrote:
Boston wrote:

LMAO- at your comments

My opinions were laughed at as if they are somehow less than yours. I'm not putting your opinions down, I'm disagreeing with you. I thought that is what you wanted.

I've already explained what I meant by teaching religion in the school system. It's pretty clear in that post that I don't mean teaching religion as a core subject.

Re: Athiests

I never mentioned anything about forcing children to participate in religions celebrations. Talking about and participating in are two very different things.

Yes we are Canada. A multicultural country. Where everybody is given the same basic human rights. Religion being one of them.

You misunderstood. HOwever, I really don't want to go into a quating. I am sorry I didn't fully explain my lamo at your comment regarding my liking to debate. Shouldve of been explained.

Now back to the debate at hand..

Then having a show and share is still teaching religion IMO. Religion is a personal choice.
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 8:02 pm

Oh that's right we are the kinder gentler army (eye roll)
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 8:24 pm

I know nothing of our Forces and I won't pretend to but as far as school system goes... I remember being a kid and when our national anthem would play the people in my class that were Jehovah's witness would leave the classroom. I never understood why and to this day I still don't know why. I don't see why allowing time to discuss all religions in class could ever possibly be bad... and I'm talking all religions.

I do not think the Lord's prayer should be said in schools, I think that of all prayers...but I do think that the national anthem is sacred to our Country. Religion is such a touchy subject to get on with everyone, I find it tends to cause rifts instead of becoming a good debate.

I am not religious at all, but I don't care if you wear a cross or that man wears a turban, etc... Your religious belief is not something that should be up for discussion and be allowed to be ripped apart by others.

Again, I know nothing of the Forces or why the uniform is the way it is. I just know that we live in a Country that is accepting.. that didn't happen over night, society as a whole decided what became PC and what wasn't...

Back to top Go down
ivegotfleas1
Admin
Admin
ivegotfleas1

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 8:32 pm

kbullet wrote:
I know nothing of our Forces and I won't pretend to but as far as school system goes... I remember being a kid and when our national anthem would play the people in my class that were Jehovah's witness would leave the classroom. I never understood why and to this day I still don't know why. I don't see why allowing time to discuss all religions in class could ever possibly be bad... and I'm talking all religions.

I do not think the Lord's prayer should be said in schools, I think that of all prayers...but I do think that the national anthem is sacred to our Country. Religion is such a touchy subject to get on with everyone, I find it tends to cause rifts instead of becoming a good debate.

I am not religious at all, but I don't care if you wear a cross or that man wears a turban, etc... Your religious belief is not something that should be up for discussion and be allowed to be ripped apart by others.

Again, I know nothing of the Forces or why the uniform is the way it is. I just know that we live in a Country that is accepting.. that didn't happen over night, society as a whole decided what became PC and what wasn't...

Special interest groups decide what's PC, not society as a whole. The gov just bows down to them to allow all this bs.
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 8:36 pm

ivegotfleas1 wrote:
kbullet wrote:

Special interest groups decide what's PC, not society as a whole. The gov just bows down to them to allow all this bs.

Is race and disability considered special interest now in days? I must have missed that meeting. Small groups don't make decisions for our country... and if they do and society doesn't agree... then shame on us for not using our voices that the troops fight so hard for us to have.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 8:37 pm

kbullet wrote:

I agree with your points. I just personally feel that religion should be an option course like so many other courses as it is a touchy subject and controversial subject

As of the point of being accepting... when do we say enough is enough. When does multicultural take over a country. Think about how democracy works for a sec.
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 8:42 pm

Pretty soon i'll be a minority in my own damn country.
Back to top Go down
ivegotfleas1
Admin
Admin
ivegotfleas1

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 8:50 pm

kbullet wrote:
ivegotfleas1 wrote:
kbullet wrote:

Is race and disability considered special interest now in days? I must have missed that meeting. Small groups don't make decisions for our country... and if they do and society doesn't agree... then shame on us for not using our voices that the troops fight so hard for us to have.

Small groups DO push politicians to make things "right". You are 100% correct that we could fight most of it, unfortunately it's a lost cause most of the time. Everyone wants to be treated equally, yet they take from others to appease the ones crying. It's getting old to be honest.

Our local fair didn't charge disabled people to enter the fair before this year. This year, they decided to charge a $5 entry fee for the disabled person AND a $5 entry fee for their "helper" (PSW or whichever). I had no issue with the fee for the disabled person, but not the assistant. The disabled crowd went crazy and eventually the fee for both was dropped and the cost for "normal" people was raised $2 for adults and I think $5 for kids under 12. If all is equal, why aren't the disabled paying the same $12? They want to be treated as equals, yet when it doesn't benefit them, it's an issue. They don't HAVE to go to the fair if 5 bucks is such a burden.

I'm gonna shut up now, I hate having an opinion.
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 8:55 pm

Mini wrote:
kbullet wrote:

I agree with your points. I just personally feel that religion should be an option course like so many other courses as it is a touchy subject and controversial subject

As of the point of being accepting... when do we say enough is enough. When does multicultural take over a country. Think about how democracy works for a sec.

Why do we have to say enough is enough? At one point our ancestors were immigrants to this country for the most part.. the reason that multiculturalism is so prevalent is because we are a larger population.. Do I sometimes wish that everyone in this country spoke English, yes but those are days I'm frustrated because the repair guy can't tell me when or where something will be fixed... not because I wish were were all one culture. One culture is a little too fascist for my liking.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 9:01 pm

kbullet wrote:
Mini wrote:
kbullet wrote:

Why do we have to say enough is enough? At one point our ancestors were immigrants to this country for the most part.. the reason that multiculturalism is so prevalent is because we are a larger population.. Do I sometimes wish that everyone in this country spoke English, yes but those are days I'm frustrated because the repair guy can't tell me when or where something will be fixed... not because I wish were were all one culture. One culture is a little too fascist for my liking.

I am all for different cultures.

But having a multicultural society doesn't create equality.. It is not a balance

A couple of examples.

Employment. If you are a white male or female in some occupations you are screwed. Because you are not a minority. Some companies have to have a certain percentage of races. Whether or not you are qualified or not.

This is equality?
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 9:07 pm

I was under the impression that people were hired for their skills, perhaps I'm naive but I have yet to have a problem being hired because I'm too white. I've had the fleeting thought about the NAACP and their scholarships for only "African Americans" (in quotations because not all black people are African) and how if white people set up a scholarship program like that it would be deemed racist... and I never thought that was fair, but then again, I am a majority. I have been given opportunities that others feel they haven't gotten. Racism is far too prevalent even now in days and it hurts.. why can't we all just be people instead of needing labels like white, black, brown, purple... We are all the Human race... now lets hold hands and sing, "We are the world".
Back to top Go down
Snitty
Warmed up
Warmed up
Snitty

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 18 Aug 2010, 9:12 pm

Mini wrote:

We always talk equality. We always talk Human rights. I agree with this.

Before people take offense. I am not racist. And everyone has the same rights. But I wanted to point out.. that it should be equal across the board.

I'm sorry But what?

Really how can one say they agree with equality and human rights and say everyone has the same rights yet at the same time make long posts clearly showing the opposite?

Why shouldn't they have the rights to their faiths and beliefs just because they come to Canada ?
Most people who are "Canadians" have parents or grandparents who came to Canada to give their families a better life, why shouldnt others be able to do the same?
Sure they shouldn't be given a free ride, But what about those who come here for a better life and end up having to drive a cab for shit pay even thou they held professional positions in their home country but left it behind hoping their children can be raised in a better country? Not everyone who comes to Canada are looking for a handout most come here willing to work their asses off to have a better life.

Does it really effect your life if someone has some doda on their head? Or if a kid in school learns to sing O'Canada in something besides french or English?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Politcal Rants by MINI   Politcal Rants by MINI - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Politcal Rants by MINI
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next