Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What do you do with your dogs

Go down 
+6
Kewl Chick
pooperscooper
Tookey
RedyreRotties
GypsyJazmine
Mini
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Mini
Admin
Admin

What do you do with your dogs Empty
PostSubject: What do you do with your dogs   What do you do with your dogs Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jun 2010, 12:20 pm

I am so sick of the other threads.. and the constant belittling of said people.

Here are my ethics- I am not talking tittles or health testing ( which is imperative)

I am a strong believer in working animals. Whether it is agility for sport or skijoring ( like some do) Whether it is on the farm, or therapy dogs.

In my experience. Before I got the little ankle biters.. LMAO.. That everyone told me that the small breed dogs are just companion animals. Then I watched poopers videos with her small breeds and I started to questions peoples opinions. I think that every dog, has the ability to work. I think we put this umbrella over them and say No, they don't like to do this.

After of having the honor of having pugs in my life. I call everyone on their BS.They can and want to be more then lap dogs.They enjoy therapy.. still working on kujo. They enjoy agility. Not forced but they want to do more then be a lap pet. I think we do alot of breeds an injustice of labelling them with Lap dogs. I think we have destroyed alot of breeds because we want them to be PETS. We breed qualities out of breeds in order to " sell for the petmarket" This I don't agree with.

I can go on and on in regards to my thoughts on this. But I will tell you one thing. I will always ask potential breeders. What do you do with your dogs as my first question. Putting pedigrees aside, putting health testing aside. This thread isn't about those important things.

Because I have different definitions of puppy mills and puppy farms. But IMO if all people do is produce for a pet market and not give their dogs, the attention and doing something beyond being a family pet is wrong. This goes for all breeds. Because as I view some great dog forums. I have read some amazing things these so called " lap dogs" can do. I have no misconception in regards to them being just lap dogs anymore.

What do you do with your dogs? I am very interested in this. Even as pet owners. Is there something that you do with your dogs and enjoy with them other then cuddling up to watch a good show
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
GypsyJazmine
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
GypsyJazmine

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs   What do you do with your dogs Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jun 2010, 1:44 pm

I keep pet goats & chickens so I can evaluate LGD breeds (I foster plus have 5 of my own.) for working ability...I have 2 full time guardian dogs & even my house dogs spend time with the livestock. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs   What do you do with your dogs Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jun 2010, 1:51 pm

I have two dogs, a mal and a shih tzu I like to walk on trails and places where most people don't go, would never go without my dogs. I don't even like going for a walk in the neighbourhood without my dogs. I always feel safer with a dog in the house too, probably wouldn't answer the door if I didn't have my dogs. This stuff may not seem important to anybody who has titles, ribbons etc. but to me my dogs are important enough just being dogs. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs   What do you do with your dogs Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jun 2010, 1:52 pm

GypsyJazmine wrote:
I keep pet goats & chickens so I can evaluate LGD breeds (I foster plus have 5 of my own.) for working ability...I have 2 full time guardian dogs & even my house dogs spend time with the livestock. Very Happy

I have pyrs too.. they run with my herds. My mastiff is in trainning to be our next yard dog... I have a working shep/collie. however, he is a rescue and his age and arthritis is getting the better of him.. Even though his heart will never give up working.. I am trying to protect him. But you can't take the drive and heart and tell him to retire. So I have to force retire him.

My kees.. is my warning system. In the house. he barks when something is going on outside.
Back to top Go down
RedyreRotties
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
RedyreRotties

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs   What do you do with your dogs Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jun 2010, 1:58 pm

Mini and GJazmine, there is no better way to prove a dog than by real work under real conditions!

My dogs are my constant companions, and unless it is blistering hot, I usually have one or several with me in the van.

My dogs are out socializing in my community most days in the week. They go with me to the bank, postoffice, and numerous other local businesses welcome them. This is one thing I do to fight BSL at a grass roots level. No better way to educate folks than to let them experience a beautiful sociable friendly well trained dog.

When the weather is cool enough here, my dogs exercise by pulling a cart. There are several clips at YouTube of me driving my dogs. Another way to have fun with my dogs, keep them fit, and let the public see this breed doing something they were originally bred for.

I also compete in the Breed rings for CH points and titles, and also the Obedience ring for titles. Currently I am training 3 dogs, each one at various stages of training and development. Once it cools off this fall I expect to begin herding training with several of my dogs.

I am currently working with the local hospital and my kennel club to institute a Therapy Dog Visitation program there. We hope to have a certified team of dogs and handlers ready to begin this program in early 2011. Our club hosts a free open training/handling class night every Tuesday where people can come and socialize and train their dogs.

I'm sure most of you have seen the various pix of my dogs doing different activities out in public. I dislike this time of year in NC as it's too hot to get out and do much unless it is first thing in the morning or after dark.

Nice topic!
Back to top Go down
http://www.redyre.com
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs   What do you do with your dogs Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jun 2010, 2:04 pm

jamn53 wrote:
I have two dogs, a mal and a shih tzu I like to walk on trails and places where most people don't go, would never go without my dogs. I don't even like going for a walk in the neighbourhood without my dogs. I always feel safer with a dog in the house too, probably wouldn't answer the door if I didn't have my dogs. This stuff may not seem important to anybody who has titles, ribbons etc. but to me my dogs are important enough just being dogs. Smile

Nothing wrong with this at all..... Not much different then me checking the bush or fence lines. Dogs come with.. Wouldn't have it any other way. Hiking is great for the dogs. They get to stretch their legs and still go on protecting you.

One of the reasons I like the big dogs, as most of you know my hubby is in the military and goes away.. Nothing is getting past my doors...

I think this stuff is very important. Too many people, just let their dogs out to pee, and do nothing with them.
Back to top Go down
Tookey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Tookey

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs   What do you do with your dogs Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 10:32 am

Most all know about my daughter (and those that don't, she has down syndrome) and so I got into teaching dogs and the foster dogs I get to be a companion for children/adults with disabilities. It take a lot of work and a lot of patience.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs   What do you do with your dogs Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 11:07 am

Tookey,

that is amazing.. and something that you should get a huge cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Thank you for all you do and try to do on a daily basis.

I am a strong believer in animal therapy. The transformations, I have seen with my own eyes and witnessed are true blessings. There should be more individuals that do this with their animals. Because the animals enjoy this as well..

A big hug to you and yours
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs   What do you do with your dogs Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 1:46 am

Mini wrote:
Tookey,

that is amazing.. and something that you should get a huge cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

I am a strong believer in animal therapy. The transformations, I have seen with my own eyes and witnessed are true blessings. There should be more individuals that do this with their animals. Because the animals enjoy this as well..

I second your statement... cheers
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs   What do you do with your dogs Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 1:57 am

jamn53 wrote:

Jamn very nice that you do things with your dogs and they keep you safe...that's the joy of dogs!!! Oh course it's also important to those who have titles and ribbons and believe it or not champion dog owners appreciate when their dogs are just being dogs. My dogs also are the first to alert when someone is on property or at the door. Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
RedyreRotties
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
RedyreRotties

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs   What do you do with your dogs Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 8:11 am

No dog farmers on this thread, I see.
Back to top Go down
http://www.redyre.com
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs   What do you do with your dogs Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 12:58 pm

Tis a shame, not alot of people have commented. Thought it would be nice to see what everyone does with their pooches.

Whether hikes, swimming ect.....
Back to top Go down
Kewl Chick
Kewl Chick

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs   What do you do with your dogs Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 1:17 pm

Okay you lured me Mini. We have 3 dogs as you can see by my signature and other than daily walks and lotsa play time in the backyard we love to take them for long walks and out swimming. (Junior mainly as the other two are new to us)

Lou Lou wants no part of the water and was not very fond of it at all. Ever since we got Quincy he has been terrified of water and it is a huge chore just to bathe him so we thought that swimming might be out for him but we took them a few weeks ago and when I first brought him up to the water he got spooked but then he seen Junior running in after the stick and Quincy would give a leg for a game of fetch so after a few seconds contemplation in he went. Needless to say he loved the water and it was fun watching him jump the waves.

We spend most evenings out in the yard with them and they love to just play chase and with Quincy as soon as you get out there the game is on and he drops a stick at your feet and will not stop until it is time to go inside, he has a high drive and you can play with him from morning till night and it still doesn't faze him.

In the winter and off weather we play a lot with the guys inside and we make them find things. For instance we will get a water bottle and put a few holes in it for the scent to get through and then we will put some pieces of cheese in there and hide it and make them find it. Quincy and Junior excel at that but I think Junior has a better nose for it than Quincy. Junior spots it and Quincy tends to try and claim it as the winner gets the prize.

We have not had them all up north yet this year but hopefully we will get them all there soon as there are a few places where we love to hike to go swimming. I don't think that Lou Lou will get off the leash anytime soon as she is a runner and we have been working on that and I don't want to be losing her in the bush.

So while our guys and gal are just house pets they dominate our free time and we thoroughly enjoy having them in our lives and entertaining them.

Edited to add that also our crazy ass cat Cujo likes to follow us on our walks but when he does it limits us as I don't want him getting too comfortable wandering. Last night Quincy, Cujo and I went for a walk around the block and I look like a crazy lady walking my dog and having my cat trail us. On a positive note Quincy and Cujo don't really like each other so it was great that once we got home Cujo would lay on the walkway and I would make Quincy sit and slowly let them smell each other. I think maybe this will help us help these two get along and realize that the other isn't so bad after all.

Last edited by KewlChick on Tue 15 Jun 2010, 1:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
rotncorso
Settling in
Settling in

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs   What do you do with your dogs Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 1:21 pm

Mine are my companions. Where I am they are, outside or inside. They are also my hiking companions.
Mine do make me feel safe but I have learned my first instinct is to protect them Very Happy
I work in a assisted living home and will be taking one of them in sometime soon to meet some of the residents that are comfortable with large dogs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs   What do you do with your dogs Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 1:34 pm

my dogs are with me all the time, we play in our yard, we take hikes back to the bush, we have done obediance, we have attended and won, at ckc sanctioned events, we have 1 therapy dog, we like to swim. playing ball in the yard is one of our favorites. and chasing little critters at the bush.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs   What do you do with your dogs Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jun 2010, 1:52 pm

My property is heavily treed, and quite mountainous, many downed trees and much climbing up and over for my ankle biters. We use the property as a natural agility course. The dogs dig, burrow, chase (seldom catch) the types of prey they were originally bred to hunt. I'm usually out there with them, but can't always keep up as they are in their glory and moving fast or stalking, listening, sniffing. All the years that I have owned dogs, I still find their sense of smell and hearing capacity amazing.

I have one female I take to a Long Term Care Facility and she cheers up the folks there as soon as she walks through the door.

At night, when they come in, they turn into "lap dogs" :lol: And I only have one lap, it becomes a "wait your turn" issue. But, I wouldn't have it any other way.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs   What do you do with your dogs Icon_minitimeWed 16 Jun 2010, 12:35 am

I don't do much with mine,she is a 15 year old yorkie and her idea of fun is to sleep LOL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs   What do you do with your dogs Icon_minitimeWed 16 Jun 2010, 7:57 am

i have some of the sleepers too, they are happy to stay home curled in thier beds while the others run and play, my blind and deaf dog does not venture from the safety of his fenc, but look out the others stampeed! hahh
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs   What do you do with your dogs Icon_minitimeWed 16 Jun 2010, 10:01 am

I often think of getting a new puppy,but think on the other hand it would drive the old girl crazy
Back to top Go down
Unhingedmom
Warmed up
Warmed up

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs   What do you do with your dogs Icon_minitimeWed 16 Jun 2010, 10:51 am

My little guy is my therapy. I pet him, I care for him, I groom him daily, and I walk him. In return he gets me out and keeps me social in the neighbourhood. If you got to know me in real life you'd understand why this is important, I'm not what you'd call a social butterfly, LOL.

Along with my family, the hounds and I promote Greyhound Adoption. It's fun and again, keeps me social, LOL.

Ok, yeah, my dogs are the social butterflies. I'm the chick on the other end of the leash (to them I'm "Oh Holy Provider of the Treats").
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs   What do you do with your dogs Icon_minitimeWed 16 Jun 2010, 1:43 pm

I love all the posts guys,

It warms my heart.

It is amazing what furballs can do for us.. and what they fill our lifes with. An unconditional love.

Unhinged, good on you for promoting grey hounds and adoption.

Yorkie, You already know how I feel. Amazing. One day when you know the time is right you wil bring a pup into your life. I can never picture you without a dog.

Dachie. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.. I had to giggle at your stampede. I swear. My little pugs.. Go barralling out the door. And they don't care who the heck is in there way. I don't think they are scared of anything. Whether it be a big dog. THey just scout under the legs. I am really enjoying and learning so much about the " little dog=- big dog syndrome)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs   What do you do with your dogs Icon_minitimeWed 16 Jun 2010, 8:06 pm

Little dogs...*sigh* Too bad they don't realize how little they are! Three of mine had an opossum cornered out in the bush/trees area, they were circling this poor thing with all the skills they could muster up. The opossum was hissing, snarling and trying to take a few bites, but couldn't move, they wouldn't let it.

The racket was awful...hey Mom, looky what we got..caught ya an intruder! lol I did have to go out and stop the fiasco as the noise was unbearable and they were getting nowhere with the hard surface of the opossum. I guess if I'd let them they would have done the poor thing in eventually, but it was not neccessary, as the opossums are not a problem here.

They came in totally "strutting their stuff" and fell asleep. Let's hope they don't run into a bear!
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs   What do you do with your dogs Icon_minitimeWed 16 Jun 2010, 10:34 pm

I know my yorkie thinks she is a rottie,she tackles everything and as she gets older she has become an ankle biter,she doesn't see or hear as well as she used to,but damn I love her to death
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs   What do you do with your dogs Icon_minitimeFri 18 Jun 2010, 7:30 pm

pooperscooper wrote:
Mini wrote:
Tookey,

I second your statement... cheers

I third your statement.

I think most on here know that I'm an agility junkie. :lol: It's just been something that my dog and I have had loads of fun dabbling in that we may compete in a couple of fun matches if any come to any nearby towns in my area. We also do rally-o, in which my youngest likes to tag along and run some of the dogs (including the family dog), one at a time in class through the course. He seems to be pretty interested in doing junior handling, if he keeps showing the interest in it, then it will be something I will get him into doing. There is also the trips into the city to supply stores to buy the pet necessities and to socialize. Sometimes we will go to certain fund raiser events for shelters and help do demos in agility and rally.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you do with your dogs   What do you do with your dogs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do you do with your dogs
Page 1 of 1