Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dogs Dandruff

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mini
Admin
Admin

Dogs Dandruff Empty
PostSubject: Dogs Dandruff   Dogs Dandruff Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 1:31 pm

After grooming my one little pug. I noticed that she had a lot more dandruff.. hmm

I don't think it is their diet as I am feeding acana small breed. So wondering is there anything I can buy that would help with this problem.. or feed. I groom them at least 4 times a week. And my kids brush them daily........

Maybe a brand of shampoo?

Any ideas.. None of my other furbabies have this amount of dander...

Thanks

Edit" it is not huge amount. like she is snowing.. but more then I would like.. lol

Edit once again.. Please don't tell me to feed RAW.. Had enough issues with that stuff.. not willing to do that again.. lol
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
Mini
Admin
Admin

Dogs Dandruff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs Dandruff   Dogs Dandruff Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 1:42 pm

one more thing

She doesn't have

Cheyletiellosis- which is a form of walking dandruff in a pug. It is not alot of dander. At first I was thinking allergies and this may still be the case.. so I am looking into it.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

Dogs Dandruff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs Dandruff   Dogs Dandruff Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 2:05 pm

I was going to say allergies.
Back to top Go down

Dogs Dandruff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs Dandruff   Dogs Dandruff Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 2:09 pm

2 cups water
2 teaspoons liquid castile soap
1table spoon veg. glycerin
or olive oil
10 drops peppermint oil
10 drops cinnamon oil
10 drops clove oil
10 drops thyme oil

Try not to use shampoo that has to much acid in it .

Although if you suspect yeast causing it try using a apple cider vinegar rinse , leave in .
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

Dogs Dandruff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs Dandruff   Dogs Dandruff Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 2:12 pm

For dandruff I shampoo every 3 days with human Head & Shoulders, condition with gobs of conditioner and after a really thorough rinse apply a leave in coat conditioner. Contrary to what many believe I find that baths do not dry the skin and the more often you bathe the better the health of the skin. Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
RedyreRotties
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
RedyreRotties

Dogs Dandruff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs Dandruff   Dogs Dandruff Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 2:28 pm

I would probably want to add fat to her food. What is the fat content of it?

Some good easy ways to add fat:

Eggs
Whole milk cottage cheese or yoghurt
Canned mackeral or salmon
Flax seed oil (only get the kind in the brown bottle that stays refrigerated)
Salmon oil caps
Back to top Go down
http://www.redyre.com

Dogs Dandruff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs Dandruff   Dogs Dandruff Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 7:31 pm

Mini wrote:
one more thing

She doesn't have

Cheyletiellosis- which is a form of walking dandruff in a pug. It is not alot of dander. At first I was thinking allergies and this may still be the case.. so I am looking into it.
My question...(please do not be offended Mini) is: Did you look under a mircoscope to see if the dander moved...that is the only test for cheyletiellosis.

Secondly, ....my pugs have dander and I feed some oil in the form of cheap hotdogs. I cut them up by quarters so they do not get stuck in the throat and use them though out the day for treats in training.

I do not feed raw, but do give the hotdogs raw. I give eggs everyday, but the eggs are cooked. What percentage protien is your food. Mine is 28% and can cause the dander.

I also use Vet Shampoo and do not shampoo more than once a month. I have been told any human shampoo will cause dander also.
Back to top Go down

Dogs Dandruff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs Dandruff   Dogs Dandruff Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 7:32 pm

pooperscooper wrote:
For dandruff I shampoo every 3 days with human Head & Shoulders, condition with gobs of conditioner and after a really thorough rinse apply a leave in coat conditioner. Contrary to what many believe I find that baths do not dry the skin and the more often you bathe the better the health of the skin. Smile Smile

Not that I dont believe you but in PUGS?
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

Dogs Dandruff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs Dandruff   Dogs Dandruff Icon_minitimeSat 12 Jun 2010, 12:40 am

First of all, before I posted this.. My first call is to my 2 vets.

Secondly, both of them have seen her in the last couple of weeks. All my furbabies get revolution. It is highly doubtful that it is Cheyletiellosis

Furthermore, I deworm my dogs/cats with ivomec. So once again.. as per the vets Highly doubtful

However, this is what they did say. We are very dry and this can cause the dandruff.

Let me also add, that it is not alot. Hardly noticeable as you might all think. I think it could also be the shampoo I used as I noticed it after her bath... ( several of days later) so it could be allergies.

My protein content is 33 percent. Acana is one of the top small breed dog foods around. They do really well on it. Never noticed the dander.. so I am thinking it is the shampoo .. with a mixture of our dry air out here. We are said to be drier then

rizona.

none of my dogs get people food. Even hotdogs. I will never again feed RAW.
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

Dogs Dandruff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs Dandruff   Dogs Dandruff Icon_minitimeSat 12 Jun 2010, 1:35 am

eatamouse wrote:
pooperscooper wrote:

I know nothing about Pugs...just proved it I see. Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down

Dogs Dandruff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs Dandruff   Dogs Dandruff Icon_minitimeSat 12 Jun 2010, 8:23 am

eatamouse wrote:
Mini wrote:
one more thing

She doesn't have

My question...(please do not be offended Mini) is: Did you look under a mircoscope to see if the dander moved...that is the only test for cheyletiellosis.

Secondly, ....my pugs have dander and I feed some oil in the form of cheap hotdogs. I cut them up by quarters so they do not get stuck in the throat and use them though out the day for treats in training.

I do not feed raw, but do give the hotdogs raw. I give eggs everyday, but the eggs are cooked. What percentage protien is your food. Mine is 28% and can cause the dander.

I also use Vet Shampoo and do not shampoo more than once a month. I have been told any human shampoo will cause dander also.

Hot dogs are cooked not raw or else I wouldn't eat them cold :lol:
Back to top Go down

Dogs Dandruff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs Dandruff   Dogs Dandruff Icon_minitimeSat 12 Jun 2010, 8:35 am

i have had some rough looking dry skin coats come in through rescue, a vit e capsule in thier food every second day and a touch of baby oil in bath works wonders,
Back to top Go down

Dogs Dandruff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs Dandruff   Dogs Dandruff Icon_minitimeSat 12 Jun 2010, 8:56 am

pooperscooper wrote:

I haven't used Head & Shoulders shampoo since I moved south but I remember how great it was conditioned the hair wonderfully .
I will try it if I ever have a long haired dog , your coats on your dogs are lovely .
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

Dogs Dandruff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs Dandruff   Dogs Dandruff Icon_minitimeSat 12 Jun 2010, 9:10 am

dachiedude wrote:
i have had some rough looking dry skin coats come in through rescue, a vit e capsule in thier food every second day and a touch of baby oil in bath works wonders,

I read this on another forum

My other dogs.. Get wheat germ oil in their food. I am wondering if I start adding the oil to the pugs food.. would that make a difference. But I will try it..

The only problem.. wheat germ oil helps with weight issues. My pugs are very active. So I am not thinking this would be a problem. I free feed my pugs.
Back to top Go down

Dogs Dandruff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs Dandruff   Dogs Dandruff Icon_minitimeSat 12 Jun 2010, 9:29 am

pooperscooper wrote:
eatamouse wrote:
pooperscooper wrote:

I know nothing about Pugs...just proved it I see. Smile Smile Smile

Smile you are sweet. Long haired dogs...I know nothing about.
Back to top Go down

Dogs Dandruff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs Dandruff   Dogs Dandruff Icon_minitimeSat 12 Jun 2010, 9:30 am

Mini wrote:
First of all, before I posted this.. My first call is to my 2 vets.

Secondly, both of them have seen her in the last couple of weeks. All my furbabies get revolution. It is highly doubtful that it is Cheyletiellosis

Furthermore, I deworm my dogs/cats with ivomec. So once again.. as per the vets Highly doubtful

However, this is what they did say. We are very dry and this can cause the dandruff.

Let me also add, that it is not alot. Hardly noticeable as you might all think. I think it could also be the shampoo I used as I noticed it after her bath... ( several of days later) so it could be allergies.

My protein content is 33 percent. Acana is one of the top small breed dog foods around. They do really well on it. Never noticed the dander.. so I am thinking it is the shampoo .. with a mixture of our dry air out here. We are said to be drier then

rizona.

none of my dogs get people food. Even hotdogs. I will never again feed RAW.

YOu are right...with "All my furbabies get revolution. It is highly doubtful that it is Cheyletiellosis" Great that you were prepared ahead of time for that nasty. It is sounding more and more like climite to me. You have done every 'right' by those little pugs!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dogs Dandruff Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dogs Dandruff   Dogs Dandruff Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dogs Dandruff
Page 1 of 1