Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Small Dog Breed Thread :)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Small Dog Breed Thread  :) Empty
PostSubject: Small Dog Breed Thread :)   Small Dog Breed Thread  :) Icon_minitimeWed 09 Jun 2010, 5:39 pm

Calling all lovers of small breeds.....

What kind of special whelping problems does your small breed have?

My breed is pugs. Since they have no nose and a fat head, many times they need a C-section at whelping time. I have been super lucky by picking large boned (and hipped) girls to breed. {knock on wood} Never needed a c-section.
Back to top Go down
Kewl Chick
Kewl Chick

PostSubject: Re: Small Dog Breed Thread :)   Small Dog Breed Thread  :) Icon_minitimeWed 09 Jun 2010, 6:29 pm

Is this for breeders or just for people who love small breeds?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Small Dog Breed Thread :)   Small Dog Breed Thread  :) Icon_minitimeWed 09 Jun 2010, 7:29 pm

Anyone...just wanted to talk about something neutral...Smile I am here to learn from others.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Small Dog Breed Thread :)   Small Dog Breed Thread  :) Icon_minitimeWed 09 Jun 2010, 7:30 pm

KewlChick wrote:
Is this for breeders or just for people who love small breeds?

It looks like you might have a small breed and a couple large breeds as well as a kitty...Smile
Back to top Go down
Kewl Chick
Kewl Chick

PostSubject: Re: Small Dog Breed Thread :)   Small Dog Breed Thread  :) Icon_minitimeWed 09 Jun 2010, 7:35 pm

I wasn't sure as the questions were geared towards breeders and not the average owner.

I have a 1 yr old Mini Pin as you can see and she is a little she-devil.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Small Dog Breed Thread :)   Small Dog Breed Thread  :) Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jun 2010, 4:03 am

[left]i have always felt it was ideal to have two momas welp around the same time. i have never had a problem before but this time it is paying off, first mama is weak, i am feeding her sugar water and goats milk by syringe, she is eating very little, gave her half cc calcium injection as per advice of vet, and my other mom has taken on 3 of her babys with 3 of her own, so that leaves the sick mama with only 3 to worry about while i nurse her along, wish me luck. first time in 35 years with dachshunds i have ran into this kind of trouble. she is still liking her walks and perks up and runs around when i take her out, so i think its a matter of extra tlc for her for a while and spay after she is well. any advice apreciated,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Small Dog Breed Thread :)   Small Dog Breed Thread  :) Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jun 2010, 5:27 am

Yes Dachie good thing I have more than one right now . The Puppies are not going to be able to nurse from the Pug I took in so when she whelps I am going to take her puppies and spread them around .
I have talked to my Vet more about this Pug than I believe any animal I have ever had sick . But I have never had one of mine have mange and yeast, staff .

Want to thank every one who showed concern for her Vet gave her free meds. And I got really good advice from Mcauley and Mouse .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Small Dog Breed Thread :)   Small Dog Breed Thread  :) Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jun 2010, 1:21 pm

dachiedude wrote:
[left]i have always felt it was ideal to have two momas welp around the same time. i have never had a problem before but this time it is paying off, first mama is weak, i am feeding her sugar water and goats milk by syringe, she is eating very little, gave her half cc calcium injection as per advice of vet, and my other mom has taken on 3 of her babys with 3 of her own, so that leaves the sick mama with only 3 to worry about while i nurse her along, wish me luck. first time in 35 years with dachshunds i have ran into this kind of trouble. she is still liking her walks and perks up and runs around when i take her out, so i think its a matter of extra tlc for her for a while and spay after she is well. any advice apreciated,

Maybe mother nature cycles the girls close for that very reason! I wish you well. 35 yrs of experience! Talk to me! I need your knowledge! I have only been breeding dogs for 6 yrs. My hubs has irish setter experience from years ago and that helps some.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Small Dog Breed Thread :)   Small Dog Breed Thread  :) Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jun 2010, 1:23 pm

feathers wrote:
Yes Dachie good thing I have more than one right now . The Puppies are not going to be able to nurse from the Pug I took in so when she whelps I am going to take her puppies and spread them around .
I have talked to my Vet more about this Pug than I believe any animal I have ever had sick . But I have never had one of mine have mange and yeast, staff .

Want to thank every one who showed concern for her Vet gave her free meds. And I got really good advice from Mcauley and Mouse .

How is she doing today? I think about her alot and wish you well with her progress. I know how hard you are trying. Your vet must really have confidence in you to help like this and ASK you to take her on. It will be a blessing if some of the pups survive and can be sold to help with the expenses...none of us have an unlimited supply of money laying around just to do good....
Back to top Go down
RedyreRotties
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
RedyreRotties

PostSubject: Re: Small Dog Breed Thread :)   Small Dog Breed Thread  :) Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jun 2010, 1:24 pm

I would be very concerned about a uterine infection. If you are not monitoring temp twice daily, I would start. I would also want a blood panel, a good palpation, and maybe even an ultrasound on a bitch who was hving these issues post whelping.
Back to top Go down
http://www.redyre.com

PostSubject: Re: Small Dog Breed Thread :)   Small Dog Breed Thread  :) Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jun 2010, 1:25 pm

RedyreRotties wrote:
I would be very concerned about a uterine infection. If you are not monitoring temp twice daily, I would start. I would also want a blood panel, a good palpation, and maybe even an ultrasound on a bitch who was hving these issues post whelping.

Good advice....and this may sound weird...but check for smell. When they have a uterine infection the smell is horrid!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Small Dog Breed Thread :)   Small Dog Breed Thread  :) Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jun 2010, 1:27 pm

eatamouse wrote:
RedyreRotties wrote:

Good advice....and this may sound weird...but check for smell. When they have a uterine infection the smell is horrid!

Come to think of it...she is probably already on antibiotics.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Small Dog Breed Thread :)   Small Dog Breed Thread  :) Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jun 2010, 1:47 pm

yes she is on antibiotics, and had a good checkup, no temp, but i am monitering, she has eaten a little today, and drank. my vet is great, he is around my age and we know eachother from the old show days, thanks everyone for the advice and well wishes. all pups are doing fine.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Small Dog Breed Thread :)   Small Dog Breed Thread  :) Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jun 2010, 1:58 pm

eatamouse wrote:
feathers wrote:

How is she doing today? I think about her alot and wish you well with her progress. I know how hard you are trying. Your vet must really have confidence in you to help like this and ASK you to take her on. It will be a blessing if some of the pups survive and can be sold to help with the expenses...none of us have an unlimited supply of money laying around just to do good....

My Vet has watched me try and save 6 strays that have come to my place in the last year and a half I have lost 2 both had the same problems . I have been trying to find the breeder in my area who is dumping these dogs and god help them when I do . I usually don't talk about my little throw a ways just plug along and try and pay it forward . My Dad all ways said he couldn't stand to hear people bragg about look at me look what good things I am doing . He all ways said they were not doing good from the heart but just trying to prove they were better than they were. guess it rubbed off I get so sick of hearing people bragg about how they save this save that .
I was just between a rock and a hard spot with this girl , I have never dealt with problems as bad as she has and wanted advice .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Small Dog Breed Thread :)   Small Dog Breed Thread  :) Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jun 2010, 3:12 pm

dachiedude wrote:
yes she is on antibiotics, and had a good checkup, no temp, but i am monitering, she has eaten a little today, and drank. my vet is great, he is around my age and we know eachother from the old show days, thanks everyone for the advice and well wishes. all pups are doing fine.

WONDERFUL news! Should of know you had all bases handled! Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Small Dog Breed Thread :)   Small Dog Breed Thread  :) Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jun 2010, 3:13 pm

feathers wrote:
eatamouse wrote:
feathers wrote:

My Vet has watched me try and save 6 strays that have come to my place in the last year and a half I have lost 2 both had the same problems . I have been trying to find the breeder in my area who is dumping these dogs and god help them when I do . I usually don't talk about my little throw a ways just plug along and try and pay it forward . My Dad all ways said he couldn't stand to hear people bragg about look at me look what good things I am doing . He all ways said they were not doing good from the heart but just trying to prove they were better than they were. guess it rubbed off I get so sick of hearing people bragg about how they save this save that .
I was just between a rock and a hard spot with this girl , I have never dealt with problems as bad as she has and wanted advice .

You did not come across as bragging at all. I sure want to hear all the updates on her...Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Small Dog Breed Thread :)   Small Dog Breed Thread  :) Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jun 2010, 8:55 pm

I have a Miniature Dachshund and they are my "breed of choice" so to speak. I cannot answer any whelping/birthing questions however, because I do not breed and have limited knowledge in that area. Dachshund breeding outside the hands of dedicated professionals frightens me, so my guy is altered despite before ending up in a rescue he sired who knows how many litters. With PRA nonetheless. Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Small Dog Breed Thread :)   Small Dog Breed Thread  :) Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 4:05 am

pra is one of the first things that must be tested on dachshunds, many like to blame the pra on the english creams, but your chocolate does not look cream, if he is positive for pra, i hope he was not bred to another pra carrier. eye problems nees to be addressed before a breeding is ever concidered.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Small Dog Breed Thread :)   Small Dog Breed Thread  :) Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 4:49 pm

dachiedude wrote:
pra is one of the first things that must be tested on dachshunds, many like to blame the pra on the english creams, but your chocolate does not look cream, if he is positive for pra, i hope he was not bred to another pra carrier. eye problems nees to be addressed before a breeding is ever concidered.

If? He is positive for PRA, which is why I said he has PRA. I know all this and was simply complaining about it. I did not purchase him from a breeder and did not personally breed him.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Small Dog Breed Thread :)   Small Dog Breed Thread  :) Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 5:40 pm

i did not think you bred him, i assumed he was a rescue from the nasty bite thread, but you also mentioned former owner had bred him, i wonder where his pups are and if there in someones breeding program. that is why testing is so important. im sorry if you thought i was being a big mouth, i did not mean to be, i just want every one to know about pra, and mor than you and i read this forum. sorry
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Small Dog Breed Thread :)   Small Dog Breed Thread  :) Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010, 7:05 pm

dachiedude wrote:
i did not think you bred him, i assumed he was a rescue from the nasty bite thread, but you also mentioned former owner had bred him, i wonder where his pups are and if there in someones breeding program. that is why testing is so important. im sorry if you thought i was being a big mouth, i did not mean to be, i just want every one to know about pra, and mor than you and i read this forum. sorry

Yeah, unfortunately he was a stud dog for who knows how many litters at least that is what his breeder informed me when I emailed her website after the shelter gave me his AKC papers. She also offered to sell me his sister (which I expressed no interest in- just wanted her to know I had one of her dogs and he was safe) and informed me that the father was also blind. Sigh.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Small Dog Breed Thread :)   Small Dog Breed Thread  :) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Small Dog Breed Thread :)
Page 1 of 1