Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

So close to Home....

Go down 
+3
yorkiemom
cureforboredom
Mini
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mini
Admin
Admin

So close to Home.... Empty
PostSubject: So close to Home....   So close to Home.... Icon_minitimeSun 16 May 2010, 5:43 pm

This is closed to home for us... If these winds don't stop..... I have friends in the area. Here is hoping we can get it out of control. This may the norm for us in alberta, if we don't get enough rain. this year

Homes evacuated as strong winds push brush fire north

Several helicopters and water bombers are working to put out flare ups and keep the fire from spreading north.

A firefighter attempts to keep brush fires from growing in Opal, Alta.

Updated: Sun May. 16 2010 14:34:58

Sonia Sunger, ctvedmonton.ca

Strong winds are posing big problems north of Edmonton, eight homes northwest of Opal have been evacuated as firefighters work to control a fierce brush fire that has already scorched 25 square kilometres.

The blaze has not yet crossed the fire line north of Opal, but officials say it is inching closer.

Several helicopters are tackling flare ups within the brush fire and about half a dozen water bombers are picking up water from a nearby lake to keep the blaze from spreading beyond the fire line.

About eight homes northwest of Opal have been evacuated. A CTV News crew was also forced to leave the area as the winds began to pick up; making it unsafe for anyone but emergency crews to be in the area.

The brush fire has burned for four days just north of Edmonton, destroying about 25 square kilometres of pasture and farmland.

The fire has been threatening homes and businesses; sending a thick pall of smoke over the Alberta capital that led health officers to issue an air quality warning.

The area lay under a blanket of greyish-brown smoke Saturday that could be smelled in Edmonton and as far away as 60 kilometres to the south.

Dr. Marcia Johnson, acting medical officer of health for Edmonton, warned residents with asthma, allergies, chronic heart and lung conditions or diseases to take precautions against the lingering smoke.

"When smoke levels are high, even healthy people may experience symptoms. Smoke can cause coughing, a scratchy throat, stinging eyes, a runny nose, headaches, shortness of breath and chest pain," the warning said.

The health advisory will stay in place until the fires burn out.

Ward said warm weather and high winds have whipped the grass and scrub-fuelled fire than expected and spread it more quickly than expected.

"It's the wind shifts that're making it tough," he said. "It makes our job a lot harder, trying to figure out where it's going to flare up."

One home and several farm outbuildings have been destroyed and half a dozen homes have been evacuated. Other residents remained on evacuation alert.

But Ward said firefighting crews are optimistic they can keep the blaze from consuming any other buildings in the area. "We're doing OK so far: we're doing well."

More than 150 firefighters, three water bombers, five helicopters, and dozens of bulldozers and water trucks were fighting the blaze.

The county declared a local state of emergency, banned fires and shut down some roads as the blaze burned
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net

PostSubject: Re: So close to Home....   So close to Home.... Icon_minitimeSun 16 May 2010, 6:58 pm

Saw this on the news last night, scary
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: So close to Home....   So close to Home.... Icon_minitimeSun 16 May 2010, 7:19 pm

The fire has such jumped the perimeter....

All residents around opal and in the town of opal have been or will be evaculated. We have 50 km plus winds right now. High temps..
Back to top Go down
cureforboredom
Settling in
Settling in
cureforboredom

PostSubject: Re: So close to Home....   So close to Home.... Icon_minitimeSun 16 May 2010, 10:05 pm

Do you and your neighbours - or at least you - have an evacuation plan in place, mini?
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: So close to Home....   So close to Home.... Icon_minitimeSun 16 May 2010, 10:17 pm

cureforboredom wrote:
Do you and your neighbours - or at least you - have an evacuation plan in place, mini?

It shouldn't head this direction.. as we are in the other direction... and the county is one county over.. but as I sit here and type this.. I see the smoke billowing..

Yes, I always have safety plans in place.. depending on the fire.. depends on the place I haul the animals.... Lots of kennels always come in handy.. LOL
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: So close to Home....   So close to Home.... Icon_minitimeSun 16 May 2010, 10:45 pm

Shit Mini,what are the slave lake fires doing or did they get all of those under control?
Back to top Go down
SillyStorm
Settling in
Settling in

PostSubject: Re: So close to Home....   So close to Home.... Icon_minitimeSun 16 May 2010, 11:24 pm

Scary Mini not just for you but so many others ... Sad

*attempts a rain dance to ship your way* Shocked Embarassed
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: So close to Home....   So close to Home.... Icon_minitimeSun 16 May 2010, 11:44 pm

My mom and my husband told me there was a mandarory evacuation for your area...great to hear you are safe and sound. That same type of thing was happening here a number of weeks ago with a few wildfires. Although we have green grass it's getting quite dry out again with the constant wind. Mad
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: So close to Home....   So close to Home.... Icon_minitimeMon 17 May 2010, 11:02 am

Stormie wrote:
Scary Mini not just for you but so many others ... Sad

*attempts a rain dance to ship your way* Shocked Embarassed

Joins in the rain dance.

I hope everyone, their pets, and livestock make out safely.
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: So close to Home....   So close to Home.... Icon_minitimeMon 17 May 2010, 11:40 am

Naked rain dance for all!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So close to Home....   So close to Home.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So close to Home....
Page 1 of 1