Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Bird Identification

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
cureforboredom
Settling in
Settling in
cureforboredom

Bird Identification Empty
PostSubject: Bird Identification   Bird Identification Icon_minitimeMon 10 May 2010, 9:08 am

You're going to have to go on my description rather than a picture because I haven't had the opportunity to get my camera out, but what is the little bird that has the body colourings of a sparrow but who's head is striped black-and-white? Like a cap.
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

PostSubject: Re: Bird Identification   Bird Identification Icon_minitimeMon 10 May 2010, 10:14 am

Black capped chikadee? scratch
Back to top Go down
cureforboredom
Settling in
Settling in
cureforboredom

PostSubject: Re: Bird Identification   Bird Identification Icon_minitimeMon 10 May 2010, 10:22 am

It's got a head like a chickadee but a body like a sparrow...very odd little guy and we have lots.
Back to top Go down
Unhingedmom
Warmed up
Warmed up

PostSubject: Re: Bird Identification   Bird Identification Icon_minitimeMon 10 May 2010, 11:09 am

Errrrr, head like a chickadee and body of a sparrow? Did you ask it "Who's your Daddy?"

It's not the same as the one I saw in the backyard the other day, White-Crowned Sparrow?

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/White-crowned_Sparrow/id
Back to top Go down
cureforboredom
Settling in
Settling in
cureforboredom

PostSubject: Re: Bird Identification   Bird Identification Icon_minitimeMon 10 May 2010, 12:46 pm

That's him. Thanks! Smile
Back to top Go down
Unhingedmom
Warmed up
Warmed up

PostSubject: Re: Bird Identification   Bird Identification Icon_minitimeMon 10 May 2010, 2:12 pm

Seriously? What are the chances, eh? Now if one of the other bird people will weigh in to answer a question about this one? Is it common in these parts? Don't know whether I just haven't been looking, or whether they're new to the area, but I can't recall seeing one of these before.
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: Bird Identification   Bird Identification Icon_minitimeMon 10 May 2010, 2:18 pm

*~UnhingedMom~* wrote:
Seriously? What are the chances, eh? Now if one of the other bird people will weigh in to answer a question about this one? Is it common in these parts? Don't know whether I just haven't been looking, or whether they're new to the area, but I can't recall seeing one of these before.

White-crowned Sparrows are fairly common in our area during Migration. This time of year and Fall are when I usually spot them.
Back to top Go down
Unhingedmom
Warmed up
Warmed up

PostSubject: Re: Bird Identification   Bird Identification Icon_minitimeMon 10 May 2010, 2:25 pm

Thanks Hoodie. Odd, guess I just haven't noticed them before. I was just looking through the site I posted, guess I asked too soon. Nice migration maps on there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bird Identification   Bird Identification Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bird Identification
Page 1 of 1