Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Gardening Thread

Go down 
+13
Susan
K-Flash
Mousey
Kewl Chick
pooperscooper
Boston
*~Skittles~*
mcpug
cureforboredom
BigBrownEyes29
kbullet
Snitty
yorkiemom
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
yorkiemom

Gardening Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gardening Thread   Gardening Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 28 May 2010, 3:42 pm

Yum strawberries
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Thread   Gardening Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 28 May 2010, 6:53 pm

I'm going to take pics this weekend too, my roses are almost ready to open.
Back to top Go down
K-Flash
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
K-Flash

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Thread   Gardening Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 28 May 2010, 10:21 pm

Three things about my garden this year:

#1. I wish I would have taken seriously, what all the reviews mentioned about ants loving cedar chips. I never really wanted to lay them across my property, but hubby loves them (cedar chips that is). He won...I lost...and well, now we have the friggin' little buggers (ants) galore! Mad

#2. Some of my cedars planted last May didn't last the winter. No brainer there...I was already warned. Dang!Finnicky, high-maintenance tree.

#3. My Black-Eyed Susans (Rudbeckia fulgida var. fulgida) look like they're struggling this year (after being planted last May).

I continue to pray to the Nature Gods, to please preserve the lives of my greenery. I hate to see anything fail (and well...die) on me.
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Thread   Gardening Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 30 May 2010, 8:58 pm

too lazy to post all the pics on here... but here is a facebook link

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=174211&id=516179698&l=31eb4b2450
Back to top Go down
Susan
Susan

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Thread   Gardening Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 31 May 2010, 10:20 am

cureforboredom wrote:
Planted hollyhocks and lupins today -and some lovely deep purple-flowered perennial pilfered from a friend's garden. Tomorrow: delphiniums, columbines, aster, sweet peas, bell flowers, and busy lizzies. Hope it rains tonight! That, or I hope my hose elongates over the night so I can reach all my garden patches. flower

Funny for me to hear of people planting lupins. Guess I take it for granted that our ditches and fields are POLLUTED with lupins each and every year, and growing in number. I still think they're pretty, but you end up taking them for granted living here. They're almost as plentiful as dandilions.
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Thread   Gardening Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 31 May 2010, 4:45 pm

A few pics...

Found her when I moved a rock...eww
Gardening Thread - Page 3 311pd6w

My daughters garden
Gardening Thread - Page 3 E1vtx

My peonies
Gardening Thread - Page 3 Nnlkzc

once my roses bloom I'll take pics of those.
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Thread   Gardening Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 31 May 2010, 4:46 pm

Susan wrote:
cureforboredom wrote:
Planted hollyhocks and lupins today -and some lovely deep purple-flowered perennial pilfered from a friend's garden. Tomorrow: delphiniums, columbines, aster, sweet peas, bell flowers, and busy lizzies. Hope it rains tonight! That, or I hope my hose elongates over the night so I can reach all my garden patches. flower

Funny for me to hear of people planting lupins. Guess I take it for granted that our ditches and fields are POLLUTED with lupins each and every year, and growing in number. I still think they're pretty, but you end up taking them for granted living here. They're almost as plentiful as dandilions.

lupins are weeds here in NB..
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Thread   Gardening Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 31 May 2010, 8:04 pm

My back yare this year is infested with bull snakes YUK
Back to top Go down
Susan
Susan

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Thread   Gardening Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 31 May 2010, 8:50 pm

Nice pics mousey. They're weeds, but they're pretty nonetheless. Yorkie, what are bull snakes, and yikes.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Thread   Gardening Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 31 May 2010, 9:18 pm

bull snakes are non venomous snakes that get quite large around and about 3 feet long and sometimes bigger. they won't hurt you,well they will strike and it hurts if you startle them, but they just seem to pop out of nowhere when you least expect them
Back to top Go down
Susan
Susan

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Thread   Gardening Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Jun 2010, 12:27 am

Nice. Yeah, a spider or June bug is a lot easier to deal with IMO. I hate them, and will run or shriek, but nothing like a snake. It's one thing to talk about snakes, and another to have them randomly pop up! Yorkie, do they make you bolt, or do you poke them with your hoe? I imagine you wouldn't get much gardening done with that many around if you kept bolting. I picture you chopping them repeatedly with the corner of your hoe and having a smoke afterwards. :lol: Maybe I'm wrong. haha
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Thread   Gardening Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Jun 2010, 8:45 am

You are right I poke them or do them in with the hoe or shovel,have done
five this year and the damn things just keep coming,if they are just in the grass I don't bother with them as they eat mice and bugs so that is a good
thing,but I hate it when one pops up in the flower beds. and yes a smoke afterwards is a good thing LOL
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Thread   Gardening Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Jun 2010, 11:40 am

OMG June bugs...eww!!! I don't mind snakes, I like them but I hate spiders!
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Thread   Gardening Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Jun 2010, 12:19 pm

EWWWWWWWWWWW, I hate june bugs,and this is supposed to be
a bad year for them
Back to top Go down
Susan
Susan

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Thread   Gardening Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Jun 2010, 3:07 pm

Why is it supposed to be a bad year for them? They are horrendous. I don't know if it's true, but I always thought they had sticky stuff on their wings, and so I fear them landing on me and getting stuck in my hair like molasses. Is that true? Gross. Gross. Gross. I HATE them!
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Thread   Gardening Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Jun 2010, 3:56 pm

No I don't think that is true,I don;t get that close to them
It is a bad year they say as they run in a 7 year cycle and
this is supposed to be their year,and Ihate them too,they
are huge and ugly and nasty
Back to top Go down
Susan
Susan

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Thread   Gardening Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Jun 2010, 7:27 pm

I was gonna post a picture of one for you Yorkie, but thought that would be mean. lol

I googled if june bugs have sticky wings, and found out they have sticky legs or feet.

I found the funniest description of them and laughed my arse off; I had to share it. Maybe it's just me, but it had me in stitches.

I hate these bugs for no other reason then the fact that they are dumb as fuck (well, in comparison to other bugs I guess ).

They sometime fly; then other times they will just decide, "Nah - I'm gonna crawl for a bit here"...then they will just randomly fly again. They can't hover very good - they suck at turning mid-air and they have no brakes whatsoever. They seem to be some sort of drunk kamikaze bug.

Made my evening Grin
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Thread   Gardening Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 01 Jun 2010, 9:25 pm

Made my evening also,that was funny
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Thread   Gardening Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 06 Jun 2010, 1:41 am

Embarassed Finally today the garden got tilled and 1/4 planted. Was the rain that held us back. The crops around here are just begiing to get planted also. Whacky year. Smile Smile Smile Oh and I did plant the tomatoes yesterday...it's a beginning.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Thread   Gardening Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 07 Jun 2010, 9:25 am

cherry tomatoes here are ripe and I had my first one yesterday YUM
Back to top Go down
Kewl Chick
Kewl Chick

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Thread   Gardening Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jun 2010, 11:01 am

I have a question for all of you Gardener's out here. Do you know what type of shrub this is? I have a bunch in my back yard and this is one at my work but I would like to know what it is. I am kinda duh when it comes to plants. Thanks!!

Gardening Thread - Page 3 Media12
Back to top Go down
rotncorso
Settling in
Settling in

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Thread   Gardening Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jun 2010, 12:10 pm

Very pretty, dont know what it is though.

I like snakes. Last week there was a large one right outside my door, it was rattling, scared me but I didnt think it was a rattlesnake.
I did google and found out it was a bull snake, harmless but will copy a rattlesnake by banging its tail on the ground when it feels threatend. He crawled under my deck, have not seen him since.
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Thread   Gardening Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu 10 Jun 2010, 3:31 pm

It kinda looks like a lilac bush.

Image taken from photobucket

Gardening Thread - Page 3 PICT0009
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Thread   Gardening Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 8:46 am

KewlChick wrote:
I have a question for all of you Gardener's out here. Do you know what type of shrub this is? I have a bunch in my back yard and this is one at my work but I would like to know what it is. I am kinda duh when it comes to plants. Thanks!!

Gardening Thread - Page 3 Media12

Kewl, I'll dig around my tags that came off my plants a few years back. I have the same one/ones. Mauve like yours and another with pink flowers and yellow/green leaves. Can't remember it off the top of my head as most plants only come home with me to die, so I don't ever get too familiar with them. Giggle
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Thread   Gardening Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 14 Jun 2010, 9:03 am

SPRIREA !! There's all different kinds of it

Gardening Thread - Page 3 L060305spirea
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gardening Thread   Gardening Thread - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gardening Thread
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next