Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What are your thoughts on this?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kewl Chick
Kewl Chick

What are your thoughts on this? Empty
PostSubject: What are your thoughts on this?   What are your thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Oct 2012, 10:14 pm

I'm just wondering what everyone thinks of this? Brantford is just outside of Six Nations of the Grand River Territory.

http://www.brantfordexpositor.ca/2012/08/03/now-you-can-swear-on-an-eagle-feather

By Michelle Ruby, Brantford Expositor

People testifying in Brantford courtrooms now have the option of holding an eagle feather in the same way a Bible is used as a promise to tell the truth.

The eagle feathers were presented to the Brantford courthouse at an official ceremony last month. They are also in use at the courthouse in North Bay.

Aboriginals attach great importance to eagle feathers. They play a prominent part in many religious practices and ceremonies.

A new oath has been created: “This eagle feather symbolizes our direct connection to the Creator for my people and I hold it in the spirit of the truth.”

“It is another step in creating sensitivity in services that aboriginals access in the City of Brantford,” said Sherry Lewis, manager of community programs at Brantford Native Housing.

Another alternative in the courtroom is to make an affirmation to tell the truth, which doesn't require any paraphernalia such as a bible or eagle feather.

The summer 2012 edition of Footprints -- produced by the Ontario Ministry of Aboriginal Affairs -- says the eagle feather can now be used in any courthouse in Ontario.

“As is the case when someone takes an oath using a Bible or other religious book, it is up to the presiding judicial official to be satisfied that the person feels compelled to tell the truth,” the newsletter says. “Individuals can provide their own eagle feather if a courthouse does not have one.”

Justice of the peace Patrice Valeriano saw the eagle feather being used in the travelling northern courts, said Lewis, and was behind the effort to bring the option to Brantford.

“I think the court is attempting as best as possible to have in place those methods of having people's conscience bound to tell the truth -- Bible, Qur’an and Gita and now the eagle feather,” said Justice Gethin Edward.

“This is an opportunity to recognize the diversity of the community and have them, wherever possible, to feel when they attend court they can have their conscience bound in a way that's tied to their beliefs.”

Lewis said the eagle feathers in cedar boxes were presented to the Brantford courthouse after staff was trained in the proper care and handling of the symbols.

Lewis said there is talk of other local courts, including those in Cayuga and Simcoe, using the eagle feather.

-- With files from the Toronto Sun
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What are your thoughts on this?   What are your thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Oct 2012, 11:08 pm

Sounds ok to me, I had to go to be a witness and didn't have to swear on a bible they gave me an option and I took the no bible option.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: What are your thoughts on this?   What are your thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeTue 23 Oct 2012, 11:36 pm

I don't see anything wrong with allowing that. In fact I think it's a good idea.

Off topic, but when I was in my teens, I went to the Arctic for a week and stayed in an Inuit community. I was surprised to see that almost every single person went to church. Not really that they went to church, but that they went to an Anglican church and converted over to the Anglican religion. I have to say that I was a little sad that they had strayed from the religious beliefs of their ancestors.
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

PostSubject: Re: What are your thoughts on this?   What are your thoughts on this? Icon_minitimeWed 24 Oct 2012, 6:36 pm

Sure, why not.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are your thoughts on this?   What are your thoughts on this? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are your thoughts on this?
Page 1 of 1