Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Thoughts and prayers.....

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

Thoughts and prayers..... Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts and prayers.....   Thoughts and prayers..... Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 10:13 am

..........to the people of Slave Lake and surrounding areas.

The devastation is incredible and getting further info is difficult due to communications being disrupted.

May everyone get through this safely and prayers that the fire can be soon brought under control.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and prayers.....   Thoughts and prayers..... Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 10:18 am

Rottn,talk to me,what is happening in the Slave area,that is very close to where I used ot live
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and prayers.....   Thoughts and prayers..... Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 10:39 am

Just watched the news again. They're finding it hard to get info out on how it's progressing. Can't use the water bombers because of the 100 km winds and black smoke. Phone service is out and radio station burned, cell phone service is also on the fritz

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/prairies/slave-lake-reeling-as-alberta-wildfires-cause-devastating-destruction/article2023343/
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and prayers.....   Thoughts and prayers..... Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 10:40 am

On the tv they were interviewing someone (reporter ? ) near the town.........they know at least 30% possibly 50% or more of the town is gone. Sad

NO reported injuries or deaths
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and prayers.....   Thoughts and prayers..... Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 10:47 am

Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and prayers.....   Thoughts and prayers..... Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 10:51 am

City Hall

Thoughts and prayers..... 470_slave_townhall_110515_430241
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and prayers.....   Thoughts and prayers..... Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 10:54 am

OMG,I just talked to a friend near there and thank God they are safe,
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and prayers.....   Thoughts and prayers..... Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 10:59 am

It's frightening how fast it spread. Yesterday afternoon there was not even an evacuation order, no need for one......then the wind shifted and picked up.

I'm glad you were able to get hold of your friend and all is well. I feel terrible for those who have lost everything and those who don't know what they will come back too.
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and prayers.....   Thoughts and prayers..... Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 11:04 am

Some phone number here for those trying to find family and friends.........

http://daveberta.ca/2011/05/slave-lake-fire-and-evacuation/

CTV Edmonton video from last evening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=qXOJagxs28w#at=52
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and prayers.....   Thoughts and prayers..... Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 12:23 pm

Is there anything new on it today?
It makes me sick looking at it when it is an area that I have spent countless hours in and had

a lot of friends there,that I have no clue where they are right now or if they are okay
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and prayers.....   Thoughts and prayers..... Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 6:56 pm

Hey guys it is crazy down here.. If those that don't know I live outside of westlock.. got a call last night.. and headed to the hospital as we were getting loads of patients.. our hospital was already booked solid..I worked all night.. so pround of my little town.. so proud.. we have welcomed the evacuees our legion has been flooded with donations from around the community.. it is going to be a long haul for our hospital as we are stretched at thin now..However, no one cares as they say 40-50 percent of the town is destroyed.. the stories that came out of slave lake yesterday.. just broke your heart...hopefully the winds calm down and we can get the 2 fires under control.. so far still no significant injuries or deaths because of the disater... have to thank the response team.. and all of the volunteers.. hundreds of people from all over our small communities pulling together.. would bring tears to anyones eyes.. Last night I seen so much dedication to fields of nursing.. the nurses that came with their patients.. lost their homes- couldn't contact family members... I cant even describe what happened all last night and today... there are no words that can even come to mind..

Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
ivegotfleas1
Admin
Admin
ivegotfleas1

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and prayers.....   Thoughts and prayers..... Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 6:57 pm

That's insane. Hopefully everyone got out ok.
Back to top Go down
http://wgaf.smfforfree3.com/index.php
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and prayers.....   Thoughts and prayers..... Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 7:04 pm

I have been watching it all day on streaming video and it makes me sick,saw a few people I
knew so I know at least some are safe and out of harms way.

what a hell of a mess
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and prayers.....   Thoughts and prayers..... Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 7:08 pm

http://www.westlocknews.com/article/20110516/WES0801/305169993/-1/WES/slave-lake-evacuees-hosted-at-westlock

Yorkie, you don't even know the half of it.. fires are all over the area right now.. just north of us.. we have had high winds over 100 k plus.. can't get the bombers in the air.. it is jumping faster.. they were loading drinking water out of westlock yesterday....every volunteer fire departments have been working steady.....

Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and prayers.....   Thoughts and prayers..... Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 7:17 pm

chisholm again Mini? shit,how bad is the fire around Long Island lake?
Has the wind died down? Have they been able to get the water bombs back into Slave?

A million questions and fuck I wish I was there,I hate being this far away right now
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and prayers.....   Thoughts and prayers..... Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 7:19 pm

are you around long enough to come into chat for a few minutes Mini?
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and prayers.....   Thoughts and prayers..... Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 7:21 pm

We have gusts up to 60 k right now an hour.. wind hasn't stopped in days.. the wind is crazy around here... over 39 new fires popped up over night.. mother nature is unloading her fury right now.. just prayers that they can get them all under control...... soon... I will keep you updated as I learn more.. waiting to see if I have to head back to the hospital.. I will post more.. right now I am running on adrenaline.... I will post as I learn.. right now.. I am trying to find out what they need.. I have truck loads of kids clothes, toys, play pens ect.. and all ready to run into town..
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and prayers.....   Thoughts and prayers..... Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 7:23 pm

Thank you Mini,I am sickened by this,I mean I know we have had many fires,but to hit Slave Lake that hard is unreal

I will be around off and on all evening so Please please keep me updated when you can
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and prayers.....   Thoughts and prayers..... Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 9:24 pm

Slave Lake fire in northern Alberta leaves eerie charred moonscape, carpets of ash
Bob Webe
r,
The Canadian Press

May 16, 2011 20:46:59 PM

http://m.news1130.com/National/Article/227000

"Slave Lake was not the only community in trouble. There were 36 fires burning out of control in the province.

The province said evacuation orders were also in place in Loon Lake, Little Buffalo, Martin Lake, and Chisholm. In addition, the Municipal District of Northern Sunrise has issued an evacuation advisory."
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and prayers.....   Thoughts and prayers..... Icon_minitimeMon 16 May 2011, 9:26 pm

Posters are up all over our area, created by a woman here who's family and friends are displaced and who's homes are gone. Donations of needed supplies and money are being dropped off at the fire hall tomorrow and Wednesday.....our volunteer fire departments are trying to get enough funds to send crews out to help.
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and prayers.....   Thoughts and prayers..... Icon_minitimeTue 17 May 2011, 12:48 am

It is a really bad fire up there at Slave... Shocked We have had numerous fires the past few days but nothing in compairison to up there. Hope they get it under control...this dam relentless wind isn't helping for sure.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and prayers.....   Thoughts and prayers..... Icon_minitimeTue 17 May 2011, 8:35 am

After all the snow and then rain you guys got up there I had hoped Alberta would escape the fires this year.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts and prayers.....   Thoughts and prayers..... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thoughts and prayers.....
Page 1 of 1