Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Grooming question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

Grooming question Empty
PostSubject: Grooming question   Grooming question Icon_minitimeFri 03 Feb 2012, 2:21 pm

Don't they need the fur to cool them?
Also, if I agreed (which I won't) would it grow back normally?
I've never shaved a long haired dog before.

Last edited by Jerseyfivedogs on Thu 09 May 2013, 7:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

Grooming question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grooming question   Grooming question Icon_minitimeFri 03 Feb 2012, 2:41 pm

It will grow back normal,a lot of people shave thier long haired dogs in the summer
I did my old yorkie the last couple of years as she was just to hot will all of her hair
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Grooming question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grooming question   Grooming question Icon_minitimeFri 03 Feb 2012, 6:52 pm

I'm not a groomer, so not going to be of much help. But I think it really depends on the breed of dog or in mixes the texture of their fur. Yorkies have silky like hair fur, so it grows back in nicely when shaved. Northern breed dogs like Huskies when shaved, I've noticed their fur doesn't quite look the same when it grows back. I've seen an Australian Shepherd and a couple Shelties with shaved fur, on the A.S. it grew back nice and one of the Sheltie it didn't look as nice when the fur grew back. They have similar coats to a Border Collie and Collie. It's kind of a hit and miss with those breeds. Dog groomers have those certain combs that strips their coat, this way he'll be nice and cool for the summer, but will have the coat he was meant to have to protect him for the winter.
Back to top Go down

Grooming question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grooming question   Grooming question Icon_minitimeFri 03 Feb 2012, 7:28 pm

No, don't shave him. An idiot groomer talked me into shaving my old mal because she was hard to groom I've always regretted it and think of it often it makes me so mad!!!!
Back to top Go down
Libelle
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
Libelle

Grooming question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grooming question   Grooming question Icon_minitimeSun 19 Feb 2012, 11:39 am

From a groomer's standpoint, I would advise against it. The coat MAY grow back correctly, but you cannot predict if it will. It could look patchy and weird. Second, the length and density of the coat helps regulate the dog's temperature in cool and warm temps, so you would be messing with that. Yes, the dog would adjust, but it's not worth it. Better off going to a good grooming, getting as much of the tangled hair brushed out as possible, trimming what can be trimmed and if any clipping is needed, just trim the areas that need. Hopefully there are no mats, if there are get those clipped out. It won't be pretty but then you can keep up with those areas so they don't get matted again Smile

I used to have clients who would bring in goldens with gorgeous full coats and want me to shave them down....I didn't likey those clients :suspect:
Back to top Go down
http://www.libellerotts.com
Sponsored content

Grooming question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grooming question   Grooming question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grooming question
Page 1 of 1