Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dog food Question

Go down 
+3
yorkiemom
rottnmom
Jerseyfivedogs
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

Dog food Question Empty
PostSubject: Dog food Question   Dog food Question Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 9:31 am

Does Iams suck?

Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

Dog food Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog food Question   Dog food Question Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 9:31 am

Oh god yes!

At least as far as I know
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

Dog food Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog food Question   Dog food Question Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 9:33 am

There is a bag of it in my car I noticed.

What is a good food Rott?

Cory is all freaked out that the Kirkland brand he tried killed Jinx.

I need to take control of this food issue again.
Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

Dog food Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog food Question   Dog food Question Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 9:35 am

Some more not so great news about some other brands that were considered good........

http://www.consumersearch.com/dog-food/review

"Perhaps the biggest issue to roil pet food advocates is the sale of Natura Pet Foods to Procter & Gamble. Procter & Gamble manufactures dog food under the Iams and Eukanuba brands, which don't get very much respect in most reviews that rate dog foods on the quality of their ingredients. Natura brands include Innova, Innova Evo, California Naturals and others, all considered, up to now, to be among the better pet foods available. There's yet to be any change in the formulation of those foods -- at least according to reports -- but there's no word on what the future will hold. Some reviewers, including Mike Sagman at DogFoodAdvisor.com, are taking a wait-and-see attitude. Others, such as PetsumerReport.com and TruthAboutPetFood.com's Susan Thixton, call the news "heart breaking." "
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

Dog food Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog food Question   Dog food Question Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 9:39 am

I will not feed science diet or Iams to my dogs
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

Dog food Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog food Question   Dog food Question Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 9:40 am

Makes you just shake your head and want to go buy a bunch of chicken breasts for them.
I don't know what to get them.
So confusing.
Feeding your dog shouldn't feel like you could be killing them.
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

Dog food Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog food Question   Dog food Question Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 9:42 am

I'm absolutely useless when it comes to ingredients. I did find the Dog Food Advisory helpful but the damn site doesn't seem to be up and running right now.

Racking my brain trying to remember the ones I tried on Sasha........her system is the shits. Even spent about 6 months making homemade but it was costing more than our own grocery bill.

Went back to the one I find she tolerates best after trying some of the better one. She's back on Holistic Blend which I can get at Sobey's and SuperStore. Can't give her the lamb one, she's on chicken and rice.

http://www.holisticblend.com/en/company/about/

Never could follow all those ingredient labels, too many 'chemically' sounding names (or at least scientific). Their products are very clearly labelled with what they have in them and what they don't have.

They also make grain free, for those that need it. Canadian, BTW.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

Dog food Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog food Question   Dog food Question Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 9:44 am

I'll look around.
I have to call Janet today, I'll ask her too.
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

Dog food Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog food Question   Dog food Question Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 9:45 am

This is what Sash is on.........

http://www.holisticblend.com/en/food-formulas/dog-formulas/holistic-blend/chicken-rice-and-vegetable/

What you see on the page.......ingredients and NOT ingredients is in large print on the front of the bag

She gets 2 cups or less per day. Some days she just doesn't want to eat at all.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

Dog food Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog food Question   Dog food Question Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 9:46 am

I'll take the Iams back.
I guess he must have bought it on his lunch break yesterday.
I have been feeding them boiled chicken since Jinx got sick.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

Dog food Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog food Question   Dog food Question Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 9:47 am

I used to feed them that but the bags are so small.
I wonder if they have large bags now?
Expensive stuff too.
But I don't care anymore.
I just can't keep worrying about food hurting my animals.
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

Dog food Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog food Question   Dog food Question Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 9:48 am

A really good one to talk to is Trish Pittman, Doggy Bag Treatery in Enfield. She and Janet would also know each other. Trish runs Lab Rescue of NS. Pretty sure I saw Janet a couple years ago at the LRNS dinner and auction......along with Annette Armitage of ARC and Joan Sinden (dogkisser)

Trish knows every friggin ingredient, what it does, 'who' should have what and in what proportion. Total wealth of knowledge. She gave me lots of samples of the foods she carries. Damned if I can remember right now the ones I tried.
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

Dog food Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog food Question   Dog food Question Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 9:49 am

Holistic does have the large bags, though I think they scaled them down in size. I'm just finishing of a 30-35 lb bag right now
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

Dog food Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog food Question   Dog food Question Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 9:51 am

The irony... Jinx was supposed to go to Trish.
I was supposed to pick her up off Kijiji and bring her to them.

Dr. Bishop said the food didn't kill Jinx but when you don't know what really did-everything is suspect. Sad
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

Dog food Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog food Question   Dog food Question Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 9:51 am

Link to Trish's store......

http://www.thedoggybagtreatery.com/

Fromm.......that's what I had her on. She did really well, for a couple of months. Then all her old issues started coming back.
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

Dog food Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog food Question   Dog food Question Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 9:52 am

OMG, seriously? You were supposed to get her to Trish!! She did our home visit for Sasha...at that time Celtic still had a good rep with the rescues and Trish offered to do the visit for Zonda as we were so far away.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

Dog food Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog food Question   Dog food Question Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 9:55 am

This food looks good but then read the last few ingredients.

http://www.nutrisourcedogfood.com/naturalplanetorganics/dog_food

Like WTH are they?

I couldn't bring her to lab rescue once I got her home.
I did bring a little black girl named Lily to her though.
Sometimes I can let them go but some times someone just grabs my heart.
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

Dog food Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog food Question   Dog food Question Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 10:01 am

See what I mean about ingredients lists? Hate them, have no idea what that stuff is. Trish used to rhyme stuff off to me, knew what it was and what it was for.......don't know how she could remember all that.

How long ago did Lily go to her? Was she rather timid? Trish always had one of her rescues in the store, helping them adjust to new people and situations or just working on training. God, I fell in love with more than one or two......so hard not to say gimme!!
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

Dog food Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog food Question   Dog food Question Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 10:04 am

Lily must be two years ago or so that I brought her to Trish.
She was timid but a real love bug once she got her tummy scratched.
She was mostly black with a bit of white on the tummy.
A lab mix as she was really slender and delicate looking.
About a year old.

Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

Dog food Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog food Question   Dog food Question Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 10:06 am

The people didn't want her anymore as they found a dog to be too much work.
I went back to the house where I picked up Lily to get the vet records that I had forgotten and the guy had a new pit puppy.
Shocked
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

Dog food Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog food Question   Dog food Question Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 10:09 am

I'm thinking I may have met her. She was really friendly once she warmed up, just had to let her get used to you being there and not push to get to know her.

I absolutely adored a golden that was with her for quite some time. I think three different families 'tried him out', but he was a really talker. He barked at everything, if you left the room and came back, anything that moved....you name it. Trish was trying all kinds of things to get him to tone it down and was really worried that she wouldn't be able to place him because of that.

Been quite a while since I've gotten to spend time in her store. Since I started at Avery's seems like I don't get much anywhere except the occasional run to Sobeys.
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

Dog food Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog food Question   Dog food Question Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 10:09 am

Jerseyfivedogs wrote:
The people didn't want her anymore as they found a dog to be too much work.
I went back to the house where I picked up Lily to get the vet records that I had forgotten and the guy had a new pit puppy.
Shocked

Ahhh, Lily wasn't impressive and intimidating enough. :roll:

Assholes
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

Dog food Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog food Question   Dog food Question Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 10:10 am

Did you see all the dogs on her site now?
Pages of them.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

Dog food Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog food Question   Dog food Question Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 10:11 am

ok, I only see two dogs now.

I must have been on another site.

Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

Dog food Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog food Question   Dog food Question Icon_minitimeFri 01 Jul 2011, 10:13 am

That's right up there with the ones who 'want' a dog but don't want to have anything to do with ownership. No idea where it is most of the time, or what it's getting in to........but don't ever try to tell them how to look after one, or complain about it harassing you or your pets, or nearly getting hit by cars.........then it becomes 'their' dog and you've got a fight on your hands.

Really think people should have to pass a course to own a pet. And have a license that can be revoked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dog food Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dog food Question   Dog food Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dog food Question
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next