Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Help.. I am running out of ideas.......... he is frustrating me..

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mini
Admin
Admin

Help.. I am running out of ideas.......... he is frustrating me.. Empty
PostSubject: Help.. I am running out of ideas.......... he is frustrating me..   Help.. I am running out of ideas.......... he is frustrating me.. Icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009, 1:14 pm

Okay my male pyr gunner is the most pickiest eater and is starting to irratate me.

I have tried him on raw. Will only eat liver and sirloin steak.

Tried him on every brand of dog food out there. Right now we are on acana. Heck I even mix duck eggs with his feed. I have tried wet stuff every brand.

Now let me explain... LOL..

He is thin, still poops ( regularly) Still is active. No medical issues. No worms. Nothing.

I can't free feed him. He has to be " locked up to feed" because the goats will eat it, the horses will eat it. Sadie my female will eat it all ( she is a piggy)
Sometimes he will eat. Sometimes it sits there. Sometimes I lock him up for the night and the day and still doesn't eat.

His best is.... he hides it ( the meat) then when I think he has ate it. I let sadie and him out. And yes their is a dog fight. Not very pleasant. This only occurs if I have raw meet.

Now he is not chopped, at this stage of the game. I will chop him.. if that will help him.

Any other suggestions? Oh and I have sat outside for over an hour.. watching him eat in his pen too.......

Edit: he is not unhealthy as per my vets.. He is at a working weight and they are not concerned.. But because he expels lots of energy I want to make sure he has a stable diet.
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Help.. I am running out of ideas.......... he is frustrating me..   Help.. I am running out of ideas.......... he is frustrating me.. Icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009, 3:03 pm

I know how much of a pain it can be to have a pet that's a picky eater. My dog isn't a picky eater, but a couple of my cats are.

Has he always been a picky eater or is this something that just started?

If there is a female dog in heat in your neighbourhood, that will cause some male dogs to not have much of an appetite. As they only have one thing on their mind during that time frame. :lol:

If this is a new behaviour that's just started and there are no dogs in your neighbourhood in heat. Has there been any changes on your farm (a new rescue or a pet that has crossed the bridge)?

Have you tried the satin ball recipe. Heard it works for most (but not all) picky eaters. It can be fed alone, but I wouldn't suggest that. Maybe soaking his kibble in warm water then mixing some satin ball in it might help.

Satin Ball Recipe

5 pounds ground meat
5 cups Total whole grain cereal
5 cups oats (slow cooking type)
2½ cups raw wheat germ
¾ cup oil
¾ cup molasses
6 egg yolks
5 packets gelatin
2 ½ tablespoons Solid Gold Seameal supplement

Mix up, form balls, freeze, feed as treats or food supplement.

Mix all ingredients together thoroughly like you would a meatloaf.
Roll into balls no larger than 1 inch diameter.
Divide into at least 6 separate containers or bags. Freeze. Thaw as needed for feeding.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Help.. I am running out of ideas.......... he is frustrating me..   Help.. I am running out of ideas.......... he is frustrating me.. Icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009, 3:58 pm

BBE - I have tried that.. But that recipe is a good recipe. He ate it for the first day... then refused.. argg.. maybe instead of hamburfer I mix it with liver.. HMMMMMM
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Help.. I am running out of ideas.......... he is frustrating me..   Help.. I am running out of ideas.......... he is frustrating me.. Icon_minitimeSun 25 Oct 2009, 6:56 pm

Mini wrote:
BBE - I have tried that.. But that recipe is a good recipe. He ate it for the first day... then refused.. argg.. maybe instead of hamburfer I mix it with liver.. HMMMMMM

Gunner is a picky big bugger. :lol: I'm not sure if substituting liver in place of hamburg more than twice a week would be ok. I would go with the steak instead. You could try asking Emily about the liver, I know she has the raw food diet down pat.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Help.. I am running out of ideas.......... he is frustrating me..   Help.. I am running out of ideas.......... he is frustrating me.. Icon_minitimeMon 26 Oct 2009, 10:59 am

⭐

Last edited by Dinkers on Thu 26 Nov 2009, 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Help.. I am running out of ideas.......... he is frustrating me..   Help.. I am running out of ideas.......... he is frustrating me.. Icon_minitimeMon 26 Oct 2009, 12:01 pm

NO, where do I get that.. LOL.. I hate running around feeding all sorts of dog food

and do you know how much it is...

\
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Help..........   Help.. I am running out of ideas.......... he is frustrating me.. Icon_minitimeTue 27 Oct 2009, 4:07 am

Have 2 recipes one similar to BBE - 1 pound ground beef. 2 cups rice (just barely cooked - still sticky but not crunchy) 1 small can stewed tomatoes (put through blender) 1 teaspoon garlic powder - mix all ingredients together form into balls and freeze Second one is a gravy - 1 pound of raw liver put in blender with just enough boiling water to cover same - blend, then use as a gravy to pour over dry kibble. Its been my experience with older dogs 7 years or older they eat when their hungry and on their schedule - not yours - don't worry he won't starve and will eat when hes hungry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help.. I am running out of ideas.......... he is frustrating me..   Help.. I am running out of ideas.......... he is frustrating me.. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help.. I am running out of ideas.......... he is frustrating me..
Page 1 of 1