Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise

Go down 
+9
HoodieCrow
K-Flash
yorkiemom
Jerseyfivedogs
kbullet
Kewl Chick
Mini
Boston
pooperscooper
13 posters
AuthorMessage
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise Empty
PostSubject: Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise   Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise Icon_minitimeWed 06 Apr 2011, 1:18 am

Twisted gut due to severe colic stole my boy today. No idea of the cause but I knew chances were he wasn't going to make it, tried everything to save him but fate made the decision after 24 hours of treatment. Second kick in the ass today was his half sister sliced her neck wide open so she's in treatment too. All night spent with little sleep catering to administering to the stallion and I was shocked to see she had hurt herself this morning also. No blood with her just looked like a wet spot but I saw it from afar. Needles, needles and more needles. I'm starting to think like Mini...why do we have these animals?

I have a tad of guilt for trying to save him instead of listening to my instincts, didn't look good from the get go but like a dummy instead of immediately putting him out of his misery I went the vet route. All I can say is we gave it a go and failed. Shit happens...I've rather gotten immune to animals passing and I'm not really upset about losing him as all that could have done to help him didn't. My concern though is that we have to dispose of the carcass...still snowed in and it's finally getting unseasonable warm... can't get the rendering truck in til it melts more and the tractors can clear the way in.

He was just like his sire, the calmest, sensible stallions I have had the pleasure of owning. Farewell my friend whose moved on to greener pastures. Wynnchester 86 my beautiful boy who shared his life with us for 25 years. His older half brother is the last remaining Crabbet Arabian in North America with close up bloodlines to the original imports. I never used Wynn for breeding as I never bred when the market was glutted...sadly the lineage when his brother goes is lost forever. Run free forever Wynn.

Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise 4smpef
Back to top Go down
Boston
Warmed up
Warmed up
Boston

PostSubject: Re: Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise   Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise Icon_minitimeWed 06 Apr 2011, 1:29 am

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your Wynnchester. Sad
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise   Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise Icon_minitimeWed 06 Apr 2011, 2:05 am

aww pooper... so sorry.. But we are the same.. No matter what our gut says.. we give it a go.. No matter what....... hope your girl pulls through... shitty couple of days here too...sometimes when it comes to multiply furbabies.. when you think it can't get any worse it does.......

Sending my thoughts with you....

You can't get the carcus to the poop pile.... same problem we had with gunner.. hence we cremated him... rendering truck can't get in... damn.. I don't know what else to suggest.....

Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
Kewl Chick
Kewl Chick

PostSubject: Re: Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise   Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise Icon_minitimeWed 06 Apr 2011, 7:58 am

Pooper, I am so sorry for your loss! I pray that your girl heals soon!

Although in hindsight you feel bad for trying treatment this shows the quality of care and compassion that you have for your fur-babies. Wynn was a stunning stallion!
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise   Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise Icon_minitimeWed 06 Apr 2011, 8:02 am

I'm sorry for your loss Pooper. I hope your other one recovers. Let us know if we can do anything for you.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

PostSubject: Re: Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise   Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise Icon_minitimeWed 06 Apr 2011, 8:47 am

I'm sorry. Sad
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise   Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise Icon_minitimeWed 06 Apr 2011, 9:05 am

I am so sorry for your loss,a twisted gut unfortunately is nearly always fatal
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise   Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise Icon_minitimeWed 06 Apr 2011, 9:44 am

poop let me know if you need anything.. I will be in edmonton this weakend I can fly by and drop whatever you need off...

I was thinking about ya..How deep is the cut.. how many layers of tissue.. I have some amazing gel... that works like a 2nd bandage for deep wounds ect...... I also have some amazing powder antiboitics as well.. It worked with momma donk and her severe eye infection.....

drop me a line or give me a call..

Tks

argg weekend
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
K-Flash
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
K-Flash

PostSubject: Re: Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise   Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise Icon_minitimeWed 06 Apr 2011, 9:53 pm

Very sorry for your loss pooper...he was total *eye candy*. Yes....twisted gut is a bitch, and it takes many a good horse. You can do all and everything under the sun, walk him for days, but sometimes their fate is already sealed. My thoughts are with you.
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise   Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise Icon_minitimeWed 06 Apr 2011, 10:17 pm

Oh no, I am so sorry. Thinking of you...
Back to top Go down
Bernermom
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
Bernermom

PostSubject: Re: Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise   Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise Icon_minitimeWed 06 Apr 2011, 10:51 pm

Oh no thats awful Sad
so sorry
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

PostSubject: Re: Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise   Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise Icon_minitimeWed 06 Apr 2011, 11:21 pm

Pooper I'm so sorry you have lost such a beautiful and long time companion.......as well as such an important link in the heritage of your line. As accustomed as you may become to losing animals it can never be easy saying goodbye to as wonderful an example of the breed as he was.

Run free Wynn, RIP

Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise Winged_horse_flying_in_the_clouded_sky
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise   Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise Icon_minitimeThu 07 Apr 2011, 12:46 am

Thanks for all your kind words. On a good note my mare so far is doing rather well. She's one of my favorites and so bloody accident prone I can't believe it. When she was coming four I had her entered in the Alberta Horse Improvement western pleasure class and had her so ready to go but what does she do two months before the show but rip a huge hole in her hind leg (4 inches by two inches) on the water trough and was laid up for 3 months of daily treatment til the tendons and ligaments repaired themselves and the new baby skin grew back. Then 5 years ago on the other hind leg, when I was away, she got another injury to that leg that got infected as it was untreated til I got home. And yet again 3 years ago when I was away again she sliced her forehead for 5 inches but that time it was the day we got home so it healed. She's my scar baby and crap, why this always happens when I'm not home I don't know.

She was my one and only oops baby because I was a dummy and put her 26 year old mother in with my 19 year old stallion as I thought her dam was past her fertility stage and the other mares she was in with were picking one her. At the time it seemed like a good idea as the two of them were good company for each other and her mom put on weight and bossed the "man' around. I was really surprised that old broad got pregnant as they were housed right outside the farmhouse and none of us ever saw any mating interest happening and at that time we had a busy stable with lots of people around for an entire year previous they were paddock mates til the second year. Luckily I did see the mare was pregnant and got my stallion report sent in on time. This is the reason she is of such a concentration of old bloodlines...28 year old mother and 20 year old father. She's one nice mare and I might not be as immune when I lose her. Regardless of her being being so pretty she's one of those that have so much personality, always the first at the gate in the morning to say HI, good with everything, don't have to tie her up, can do anything with her type of horse. When she was little we left her loose to do whatever she wanted and would obey like a dog when you called her to "come". She's one of the best movers I think ever produced here, when she trots her hocks almost smack her ass she's such a natural animated animal. If I have one regret it having it's never having bred her to my remaining unrelated stallion years ago but it seemed so senseless to do so when everyone else was pumping out the latest "fads" like wildfire and major overproduced.

Sorry for the long post. I'm in a rather pissy mood. Mini TY for the offer, I think I'll be OK but if things go bad I'll certainly contact you.
Back to top Go down
Kewl Chick
Kewl Chick

PostSubject: Re: Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise   Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise Icon_minitimeThu 07 Apr 2011, 7:52 am

I'm glad your Mare is doing better. She sounds like she likes to keep you entertained and also keep you close to home. LOL I would love to see a picture if you wouldn't mind sharing. I love horses and I keep telling hubby that when I grow up I want my own horse. Embarassed

Back to top Go down
dogwood
Settling in
Settling in

PostSubject: Re: Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise   Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise Icon_minitimeThu 26 May 2011, 2:31 am

Gee Pooper, I am just reading this. Terribly sorry to hear you lost your boy what a shame.
I wish i could have one of your foals...it would be really nice to get a filly to continue the gene pool. I have been looking at foals but it would not be fair to get one before we move. Hopefully your mare will still be able to breed in the next year or two. My order will be for a western/hunter horse and if possible socks and a blaze. Smile
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise   Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise Icon_minitimeSat 28 May 2011, 6:18 pm

Pooper, I'm just seeing this thread today, not sure how I missed it. I'm so sorry for your loss. RIP Wynn!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise   Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Killer Colic...Shitty Day Horsewise
Page 1 of 1