Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Doctors and ethics debate

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Doctors and ethics debate Empty
PostSubject: Doctors and ethics debate   Doctors and ethics debate Icon_minitimeFri 28 Jan 2011, 1:09 am

I came across this article about a woman who died on the operating table while get her sixth breast enlargement. Her original plastic surgeon refused to do the sixth one (not sure why that doctor would even agree to do a third or fourth on this woman). So she went to another plastic surgeon who performed the surgery. Instead of replacing the implants with a larger size, the plastic surgeon injected silicone into each breast. The woman's heart stopped beating during the surgery. She suffered brain damage and died after nine days in a medically induced coma.

The plastic surgeon and his partner who performed the surgery are now now being charged with negligent manslaughter.

Do you think plastic surgery clinics should have a moral obligation to refuse such over-the-top procedures?

Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Doctors and ethics debate   Doctors and ethics debate Icon_minitimeFri 28 Jan 2011, 9:51 am

Is it about the ethics of a doctor or is it about the over obsession people seem to have with their image? I am not sure I blame the Dr. anymore than I blam the woman who had been refused by her old dr.and searched out another one to do what she wanted

Maybe there is an equal blame there
That is my thought before my second cup of coffee,I might change my mind later :lol:
Back to top Go down
Unhingedmom
Warmed up
Warmed up

PostSubject: Re: Doctors and ethics debate   Doctors and ethics debate Icon_minitimeFri 28 Jan 2011, 10:23 am

I think that anybody submitting themselves to cosmetic plastic surgery should have some kind of psychiatric evaluation. Not that I believe there's anything going south in their heads, but I think sometimes people don't fully understand the ramifications of what they're doing. They also need to be absolutely clear WHY they're doing what they're doing.

In this specific case, yes, the surgeon should be liable. What, he didn't KNOW the dangers of injecting silicone directly into the human body? And he got his degree... where? The ones out of the Cracker Jack Box aren't recognized in Canada anymore.
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Doctors and ethics debate   Doctors and ethics debate Icon_minitimeFri 28 Jan 2011, 10:24 am

I think that the blame should be on the patient. When her first doctor told her no, she went on to an other... My guess is, had he of said no too, she would have found a shoddy doctor to do it for her. Plus, who is to know whether she disclosed to the doctor that she had so many procedures, she wouldn't be the first to lie.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Doctors and ethics debate   Doctors and ethics debate Icon_minitimeFri 28 Jan 2011, 1:53 pm

I'll see later tonight if I can find the article, it has a picture of the woman in it. I didn't want to post the article because of the woman's profession and didn't want that to get in the way of opinions of whether not a doctor should be liable in a situation like this. I'm on the fence with this. I think the doctor is partially to blame. To give more information from what I can remember in the article. The woman is around 22 years old, she's petit in build. She wanted to go from a 35F to a 36F. The 35F was way to big for her build to begin with.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Doctors and ethics debate   Doctors and ethics debate Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Doctors and ethics debate
Page 1 of 1