Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Debate: If a person travels to a country where they are known to ...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Debate:  If a person travels to a country where they are known to ... Empty
PostSubject: Debate: If a person travels to a country where they are known to ...   Debate:  If a person travels to a country where they are known to ... Icon_minitimeThu 27 May 2010, 11:15 am

kidnap tourists, and that country is already in turmoil. Do the people being kidnapped deserve to ask the government of their country to help in their release?

Note: I'm not referring to news reporters, but people visiting dangerous countries for vacation.

After reading the following article, I thought this might make a good debate and get ideas and thoughts of everyone on this.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/05/27/uk.pirates.kidnapped.couple/index.html?hpt=T2

In the above link, the article is about a couple taking their yacht to the Indian ocean. An area known for pirates. They are kidnapped, have been kept hostage since October of last year, and are making a plea for their government to help in their release.

Another story I read last month was of three Americans hiking near the Lebanon border and were captured and are in jail. What were they doing hiking so close the border.

With the U.S., Canadian, U.K. armies already stretched in Afghanistan, Iraq, and keeping the peace in other countries, should their lives be put at risk for something that could have been prevented if tourists would just vacation in safer areas?
Back to top Go down
Snitty
Warmed up
Warmed up
Snitty

PostSubject: Re: Debate: If a person travels to a country where they are known to ...   Debate:  If a person travels to a country where they are known to ... Icon_minitimeThu 27 May 2010, 11:20 am

Nope
Back to top Go down
cureforboredom
Settling in
Settling in
cureforboredom

PostSubject: Re: Debate: If a person travels to a country where they are known to ...   Debate:  If a person travels to a country where they are known to ... Icon_minitimeThu 27 May 2010, 12:51 pm

I don't know why people choose to go to high risk places when there are many beautiful, exotic, adventurous destinations. It makes me shake my head when I hear about stories like those you mention. On the other hand, regardless of how stupid the citizen is, I should think his/her government should attempt to help in any feasible way. It reminds me a bit of a woman dressing provocatively, getting drunk or high, and being in an unsafe locale. If she is raped or sexually assaulted, some might lean towards, "well, what do you expect?" or "she was asking for it" but blaming the victim for unwise decisions doesn't negate the fact a crime has been committed and those who perpetrated the act should be held to task.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Debate: If a person travels to a country where they are known to ...   Debate:  If a person travels to a country where they are known to ... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Debate: If a person travels to a country where they are known to ...
Page 1 of 1