Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

So much to consider... this dog breeding

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

So much to consider... this dog breeding Empty
PostSubject: So much to consider... this dog breeding   So much to consider... this dog breeding Icon_minitimeThu 02 Dec 2010, 1:31 am

A related post to the breeding one and regulations. I also prefer the government to stay out of my life and what I choose to do. Just this morning we were discussing breeding arrangements and going through our options for a stud. We know we will breed twice spaced a minimum of two years apart...we do have a pretty lengthy waiting list. Might be an inbreeding to the half brother I so love or there's a few other stud dogs we'll have to have shipped to us. The dogs are going for all their health testing late January, Reebee turns 2 on the 10th...depends though on heat cycles as females get loose in the hips when in season so hopefully all the girls will be mid cycle, Arriba should be in season in February. My breeder has one more show in Canada weekend after next and then she's doing the US circuit and is considering taking Arriba along to show down there if it's possible to coordinate with one of the stud dogs were are looking at and breed her at the show. Nothing is decided yet, just kicking ideas around. We might just wait til September to breed her because I'd prefer to show her this spring and summer. LOL...we could have puppies to peddle for Xmas they'd be 12 weeks old. (JK)

Of course everything depends on the health test results ... my breeder is funny about making test results public, she doesn't do it. It has always been my opinion that people who don't show results are hiding something and I have said that many times.

What I have never said before though is that my breeder doesn't offer hers to the public. It's really hard to get one of her dogs with breeding rights but before you do purchase, she shows you every year of test results, they were all very good and I asked her why she doesn't post them. The dogs she's produced are of exceptional quality, very few have been pet quality but there was one sold female 7 years ago that didn't have the best results for hips when she did display all test results. Show breeder people are highly competative and they started a rumor that she was breeding crap dogs because of that one. Pluba forum rather proves that arrogant show dog mentality. :-(

That was "it", she stopped making things public and the only people she shows test results to are the people who need to see them, like me who have an investment in the dogs and need to know all about their health records. Other breeders don't want our dogs out there showing against them because they kick their asses. Lol...we were just mentioning about how you lose friends when you have really good dogs in the ring. I know people that I considered my friends were pissed when Arriba did well in group 5 as they were showing different breeds and have a dislike for Havs. Even that one lady I was talking about who was swearing at me that I didn't even know at the time.

I've been going over everything we spoke of today and fortunately I have a few months to decide what plans we will agree on. I had this evil little idea that amused my hubby and myself. My breeder wouldn't allow me anywhere near the ring to watch Arriba the one day we went to view her show after she invited us to come watch. We did bond really fast and she is a "mommy suck" and I'll admit it...her loved me in just 3 weeks. Having watched the video my hubby took I have to agree that even though I was trying to hide, the film shows she did seem to know I was there hiding behind other people all scrunched down and veered a tad off course in my direction.

My breeder is so excited to have Julio and Arriba competing in performance classes next year and has repeatedly said she wants to come watch. Of course she will be at all the shows we go to showing conformation and we will bench together but ... if we really have a glitch and don't place well I am going to totally going to "blame her" for being near the ring or in the same building even. Payback time...lol. Going to see another possible co own in the next few weeks, an import female puppy from California with the same way back lineage as the bloodlines we already have. Will have to have a conversation with my cheque book first...yikes. Looking forward to next year!!!

8) 8)

Last edited by pooperscooper on Thu 02 Dec 2010, 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: So much to consider... this dog breeding   So much to consider... this dog breeding Icon_minitimeThu 02 Dec 2010, 10:38 am

Pooper, which ever dog you decide on for stud, I know the puppies produced will be a good representative of the breed in conformation and temperament. Looking forward to puppies next year. You know lady, you're really starting to get me hooked on the Havenese breed. lol
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: So much to consider... this dog breeding   So much to consider... this dog breeding Icon_minitimeFri 03 Dec 2010, 2:44 am

BigBrownEyes29 wrote:
Pooper, which ever dog you decide on for stud, I know the puppies produced will be a good representative of the breed in conformation and temperament. Looking forward to puppies next year. You know lady, you're really starting to get me hooked on the Havenese breed. lol

Hooked on Havs...I have been raking my brain for kennel name..."you know lady" (I found that amusing)...this might work for me. This finding a stud thing is not as easy as I thought it would be and it's a good learning experience weeding from the very limited selection of potential boys. I know many people stay away from co owned dogs because they think the breeder will control all aspects of "your dogs" but I have found it's just not like that with my breeder. By contract, she pays the stud fee and I have a say in the boy we select, I have second choice for the puppy I want should I want to retain one and if I don't want the pup it's already sold. I have no whelping responsibility as my breeder with 24 years of experience is by contract responsible for handling birthing and puppies for 12 weeks. Sounds good in theory but I have a niggling thought that Arriba won't like being away from home and us very much. Crap I was the same when she was away showing for a period of 3 weeks and she fared well without us... she was with her breeder for her entire life before she came here so there's no adjustment really for her but will be a huge difference in our lives without her here every day.

I know this goes on all the time but 12 weeks is a long time away. Here's me all concerned knowing that realistically she likely won't even be missing us as much as we will miss her. I know I'm a tad weird and she will be only 15 minutes away so it isn't like I wouldn't visit but I remember when my brother brought us Cailleach and her brother for me to baby sit at 4 weeks old for 3 weeks along with her parents. Puppy poop, feeding, cleaning up accidents, socializing, weaning. bathing, grooming, chewing up stuff etc. Ack!!! That was my first and I have always thought last experience with puppies. Really did enjoy them but what a lot of work to care for them. I never had these thoughts with the horses I bred, I think because they didn't live in the house and weren't ever such a major part of the "family". Didn't ever sleep in the bed with us either...lol. Arriba doesn't sleep in our bed , she's a crate girl, but still, you know what I mean.

dogsex
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: So much to consider... this dog breeding   So much to consider... this dog breeding Icon_minitimeFri 03 Dec 2010, 10:09 am

It will be a harder trasition for you than her,do you think you will keep a puppy Pooper?
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: So much to consider... this dog breeding   So much to consider... this dog breeding Icon_minitimeFri 03 Dec 2010, 10:19 am

When it's time to breed Arriba, couldn't the breeder come to your home instead when it's time to whelp? This way Arriba will be comfy in a familiar setting when it's time to whelp and you won't have to be away from her for 12 weeks. Some breeders are ok with this, I would bring it up to your breeder to see if she's ok. Puppies are a lot of work up until the 8 to 12 weeks when they are ready for their new homes. You don't get much sleep, but definitely worth it, especially getting to socialize them looks like the fun part.
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: So much to consider... this dog breeding   So much to consider... this dog breeding Icon_minitimeSat 04 Dec 2010, 2:40 am

yorkiemom wrote:
It will be a harder trasition for you than her,do you think you will keep a puppy Pooper?

I don't know but I rather doubt it, we'll see. I am one that is dicey about young puppies and prefer to make decisions about them when they are over eight months old and more mature. I spoke for Arriba when she was 5 months old but didn't make a commitment til she was a year old. Her breeder wanted me to have her and basically saved her for me as there were others wanting her but she thought I would be the best home for her. The others whom were interested in her but were denied are on the waiting list for offspring, they are show breeders and really want the bloodlines. Showing is a tad expensive so for me at this time I think someone else can own and show my puppy and I'll continue on showing the dogs I already have in the sports we are training for. Showing conformation dogs is crazy pricey...my breeder is showing in a week or two in BC and that's a $1,000.00 weekend for her for just one dog she's taking. Did that with the horses and my husband might divorce me...lol...if I started that again. Sad
Back to top Go down
dogwood
Settling in
Settling in

PostSubject: Re: So much to consider... this dog breeding   So much to consider... this dog breeding Icon_minitimeFri 10 Dec 2010, 3:04 pm

Oh Pooper, I am so glad you are doing this! You have such a gift in raising and handling animals. Dont forget to put your "bitch" face on around the snarky breeders. You probably remember this from your horse showing days lol.
PS you cant hide from a puppy looking for momma..probably smelled you were there long before you even saw her HaHa.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: So much to consider... this dog breeding   So much to consider... this dog breeding Icon_minitimeFri 10 Dec 2010, 5:59 pm

I had no clue showing was that expensive,
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: So much to consider... this dog breeding   So much to consider... this dog breeding Icon_minitimeSat 11 Dec 2010, 12:26 am

dogwood wrote:
Oh Pooper, I am so glad you are doing this! You have such a gift in raising and handling animals. Dont forget to put your "bitch" face on around the snarky breeders. You probably remember this from your horse showing days lol.
PS you cant hide from a puppy looking for momma..probably smelled you were there long before you even saw her HaHa.

I did have a special bitch face when I was showing horses come to think of it...lol. She was born the night before I picked up Julio...they all looked like mice...lol...her litter mates were all pintos and her was the most solid colored. Glad for your confidence in me. All of you.!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: So much to consider... this dog breeding   So much to consider... this dog breeding Icon_minitimeSat 11 Dec 2010, 12:51 am

yorkiemom wrote:
I had no clue showing was that expensive,

Yes it is costly...it's the last show of the year. Sega ( the half sibling) was #1 in Canada for our breed all year until May when in June when she had a litter but had to take 3 months off to cater to the pups. October as I have already said she took him back in and won the first ever regional show so this was the last kick at the can, so to speak, and the only hope is to win a Best in Show this weekend. Just checked the stats and he didn't place at all today. Two more days to go though. She went by herself and flew them there, hotels, entry fees, rental car, etc. It's in Chilliwack., BC and not that far really but it all adds up. Local shows that you just drive to, the entry fees I paid were I think if I remember correctly were around $30.00 a day per show, show being 3 consecutive days but that was just a lower level fee and not a "special" entry. Was anyone following the Kijiji thread...Breeding is Cruel. Some cost explainations were posted there and a few other threads. Go team Sega!!!

Smile
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: So much to consider... this dog breeding   So much to consider... this dog breeding Icon_minitimeMon 13 Dec 2010, 1:54 am

Sad Skunked, didn't place all weekend. Lesson learned, she made a big mistake at the Hav special in October and bred a bitch with him at the show... lol...not in the show ring itself of course. The bitch was from Nova Scotia and was in heat and the show date was a breeding, hit and miss opportunity, and it was a miss bitch not pregnant. He has lost his focus since then and isn't behaving in the ring like before...focused on tail now, typical male. :roll:
Back to top Go down
Kewl Chick
Kewl Chick

PostSubject: Re: So much to consider... this dog breeding   So much to consider... this dog breeding Icon_minitimeMon 13 Dec 2010, 9:32 am

Sorry about the lack of results but that is so funny about the boy being focused on a piece of tail.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: So much to consider... this dog breeding   So much to consider... this dog breeding Icon_minitimeMon 13 Dec 2010, 9:57 am

sorry to hear that,Pooper,
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: So much to consider... this dog breeding   So much to consider... this dog breeding Icon_minitimeTue 14 Dec 2010, 12:35 am

Kewl Chick wrote:
Sorry about the lack of results but that is so funny about the boy being focused on a piece of tail.

Silly BOYS. :lol:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So much to consider... this dog breeding   So much to consider... this dog breeding Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

So much to consider... this dog breeding
Page 1 of 1