Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Training question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

Training question Empty
PostSubject: Training question   Training question Icon_minitimeSun 11 Sep 2011, 8:57 am

I have been trying to teach my puppy to come back to me by calling her name and using the clicker.
It has been working great.
I click, she comes running and I give her praise and a tiny treat.(food)

She is coming back every time.
Here is my problem though.
When she comes back in the house after the click and the treat, she scratches at the door to go back out.
She just wants to go back out so I will call her back so she can get a treat.

I'm not knowing if she is going to the door to go "potty" or if she just wants to get called back in so she gets a treat.
What do I do?

I don't want to mess up a perfectly smart puppy. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Training question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training question   Training question Icon_minitimeSun 11 Sep 2011, 9:26 am

Jerseyfivedogs wrote:
I have been trying to teach my puppy to come back to me by calling her name and using the clicker.

When she comes back in the house after the click and the treat, she scratches at the door to go back out.

I'm not knowing if she is going to the door to go "potty" or if she just wants to get called back in so she gets a treat.
What do I do?

Jersey, are you clicking when she is away from you, then she comes running back to you to get the treat, or are you clicking and treating the moment she is sitting in front of you?

When she's in the house and you know that she doesn't have to go outside to potty. I would just ignore her or redirect her attention to something else when she's scratching at the door to go back out. I wouldn't personally treat for that.

Last edited by BigBrownEyes29 on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

Training question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training question   Training question Icon_minitimeSun 11 Sep 2011, 9:28 am

I'm clicking when she is away from me.
I click and call her name, she comes booting it to me.
She gets praise and a treat.

I'm doing it wrong aren't I?
It's only been three days, help me fix me.
Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

Training question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training question   Training question Icon_minitimeSun 11 Sep 2011, 9:33 am

I'm putting down the clicker-lol
Red was starting to teach me how to use it.
I guess I never got enough lessons.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Training question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training question   Training question Icon_minitimeSun 11 Sep 2011, 9:37 am

When I first started out training my dog, it was the first formal obedience that I had ever did with any dog I had ever owned. I always thought that the "come" command was when the dog was in the process of coming towards you. But was told by my dog trainer when I switched over to clicker training, that the "come" position is when the dog is sitting in front of you (toe to toe). That is the exact moment that you want to click and treat.

With my dog, when she was younger, I always practiced the "come" command using a 20 to 40 ft. long line. That way if she decided one day during her bratty adolescent stage that she didn't want to come, then I can reel her in. She would have no other choice but to come.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

Training question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training question   Training question Icon_minitimeSun 11 Sep 2011, 9:38 am

BigBrownEyes29 wrote:
Jerseyfivedogs wrote:

What do I do?

Jersey, are you clicking when she is away from you, then she comes running back to you to get the treat, or are you clicking and treating the moment she is sitting in front of you?

When she's in the house and you know that she doesn't have to go outside to potty. I would just ignore her or redirect her attention to something else when she's scratching at the door to go back out. I wouldn't personally treat for that.

I have never had issues with potty training but I SUCK with teaching recall.
I think I'll just go back to no clicker until I figure out how to use it properly.
I don't want to mess up potty training as I have never had issues with that before.
I'm getting confused, so I imagine I'm confusing her with the clicker and treats.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Training question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training question   Training question Icon_minitimeSun 11 Sep 2011, 9:41 am

Don't put down the clicker, definitely keep trying. When I started out clicker training, I had poor timing, and with some things didn't know at what point to click. The nice thing about clicker training is that you can mess up and re-fix it, and still end up with nice results from your dog. I wish you lived closer to me because I have a clicker training book you can have.
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

Training question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training question   Training question Icon_minitimeSun 11 Sep 2011, 9:51 am

Thanks for the encouragement BBE.
I wished I lived closer too.
If you happen to know the name of that book, I'll see if I can find it here.
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

Training question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training question   Training question Icon_minitimeSun 11 Sep 2011, 10:25 am

I agree the come command means straight to you face to face and then click and treat. It's good to have a pocket that always has a stock of treats and your clicker on hand. At first any time your dog comes within a few feet from you say Yes and click and treat...it's a good way to keep the come more voluntary than demanded and you can hone it from there. Makes it their idea to be near you and the click and treat encourages them to check in with you more often. For house breaking click and treat after they have done their business outside. If she's faking you out about going to the door to play and not pee then no click and no treat but if she did ask to go out then click and treat and make a fuss about how good she is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Training question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Training question   Training question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Training question
Page 1 of 1