Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Supermarkets in Britain under fire for selling reindeer meat

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Supermarkets in Britain under fire for selling reindeer meat Empty
PostSubject: Supermarkets in Britain under fire for selling reindeer meat   Supermarkets in Britain under fire for selling reindeer meat Icon_minitimeMon 15 Nov 2010, 6:05 pm

I don't see what the big deal is. As much as I try to eat less meat, I admit I just can't do it and carribou, if you've ever tried it is delicious. I don't think I could ever become a vegetarian, too hard for me. The first time I tried it, I was in my teens. I went on a school field trip to the Arctic and I stayed with an Inuit family. My exchange partners family had carribou every night for dinner. Embarassed

http://www.windsorstar.com/life/Supermarkets+Britain+under+fire+selling+reindeer+meat/3829504/story.html

LONDON - A supermarket chain was under fire Monday for selling reindeer meat in its British stores in the run-up to Christmas.

German discount chain Lidl is selling frozen Siberian reindeer leg steaks at six pounds (9.60 dollars, seven euros) for a 350-gramme pack as part of its deluxe range.

reindeer are traditionally associated with the festive season — the story going that Father Christmas travels around the world delivering presents on a sleigh pulled by a team of flying reindeer.

Animal rights campaigners blasted Lidl, which defended its decision to sell the unusual meat by saying the reindeer had been well treated.

"Lidl is destroying the magic of Christmas by selling dead reindeer," said Justin Kerswell, the campaigns manager for Vegetarians International Voice for Animals.

"What they term 'luxury cuisine' belies the truth behind an industry that exists to exploit wild animals," he told trade magazine The Grocer.

Siberian reindeer were often herded by snowmobiles and in some cases by helicopters and motorbikes, Kerswell said.

"This and lassoing them cause huge stress. They can become so distraught their muscle can waste away."

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals said: "The idea of 'Rudolph' being slaughtered and sliced into steaks for a novelty Christmas dinner is revolting.

"Christmas is supposed to remind us of peace and goodwill — and the rest of the animal kingdom could do with a taste of it, rather than being tasted."

Lidl, which has more than 530 stores in Britain, said the reindeer were fed on "local aromatic herbs and grass.

"They live in their natural habitat and have plenty of space to move around," a spokeswoman said.

The supermarket is also selling pheasant, venison and springbok in the Christmas build-up.

©️ Copyright (c) AFP
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Supermarkets in Britain under fire for selling reindeer meat   Supermarkets in Britain under fire for selling reindeer meat Icon_minitimeMon 15 Nov 2010, 6:24 pm

I need to shop at that store it all sounds yummy
Back to top Go down
Unhingedmom
Warmed up
Warmed up

PostSubject: Re: Supermarkets in Britain under fire for selling reindeer meat   Supermarkets in Britain under fire for selling reindeer meat Icon_minitimeMon 15 Nov 2010, 7:09 pm

BigBrownEyes29 wrote:

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals said: "The idea of 'Rudolph' being slaughtered and sliced into steaks for a novelty Christmas dinner is revolting."

© Copyright (c) AFP

Last night we ate some Bessie the Cow pot roast (shush, couldn't think of any famous male cow names), the day before some Piglet sliced thin on bread. Was thinking of Scrooge McDuck for Christmas dinner instead of dear Rudolph, but might settle for Donald or Daisy.

Nobody's broken the news to PETA about Santa yet?
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Supermarkets in Britain under fire for selling reindeer meat   Supermarkets in Britain under fire for selling reindeer meat Icon_minitimeMon 15 Nov 2010, 7:55 pm

I sent them a memo,maybe they didn't get it :lol:
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Supermarkets in Britain under fire for selling reindeer meat   Supermarkets in Britain under fire for selling reindeer meat Icon_minitimeTue 16 Nov 2010, 12:18 am

yorkiemom wrote:
I sent them a memo,maybe they didn't get it :lol:

:lol: They're still in shock. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Supermarkets in Britain under fire for selling reindeer meat   Supermarkets in Britain under fire for selling reindeer meat Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Supermarkets in Britain under fire for selling reindeer meat
Page 1 of 1