Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lets Talk MAGGOTS

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mini
Admin
Admin

Lets Talk MAGGOTS Empty
PostSubject: Lets Talk MAGGOTS   Lets Talk MAGGOTS Icon_minitimeMon 13 Sep 2010, 9:51 am

I love maggots.. love them

So my good friend called me last week. Saying she is a bad mom... I said why..

Her yard dog- who is a great dog.. I heart him.. Didn't eat his supper, he is an sheep dog.. Reminds me of Mr. mugs..

She is an RN.. so she checked him out.. and noticed he had a funny lump on his back near his butt. SHe used medical terms to test me. She thought he had a hot spot so she shaved him. She found an open wound down to the dermis level.. Covered in maggots. Which is a good thing. She cleaned the maggots off to find a nice fresh wound that is nice and bright red ( another good thing) She called me cause she didn't know the amount of antiboitic to give him. She couldn't get into see the vet until the next morning.. I told her to use my vets.. but oh well..

He had a cyst rupture. I calmed her down because maggots don't take long to go to a wound in this time of year. Less then 12 hours and they will clean the wound of pretty good in a short period of time. Because she checked on him in the morning and by the time she got back from town he wasn't Mr. mugs..

He also had another large cyste on his side. From what we can tell.. he likes to play with the coyotes. They probably nipped him.. and this does happen. They get an infection from the salvia and it produces and the infection comes fast. which produces puss and alot of water like substance. Happened with sadie. They have to drain the wound and insert tube like material to keep the wound drainning and use a round of heavy antiboitics..

But maggots are the best thing for open wounds. I know most of you will be grossed out. But in our medical society they use maggot therapy all the time. The maggots only eat the dead rotton flesh.. Which prevents secoundary infection that can lead into the blood stream..

But Mr. mugs ( my nickname ) is doing great.....
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

Lets Talk MAGGOTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk MAGGOTS   Lets Talk MAGGOTS Icon_minitimeMon 13 Sep 2010, 10:51 am

Mini, don't they also use leeches in medicine? Thought I had read somewhere that they are used to reduce 'pooled' blood under the skin surface to help with healing.

As gross as we think maggots might be, there's likely a lot of other things that we are so used to seeing/using that would gross us out too, if we really thought about it. Not like the maggots crawled out of your garbage can or sink drain......they are raised in sterile environments and more healthy than 'kiss and make it better'
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

Lets Talk MAGGOTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk MAGGOTS   Lets Talk MAGGOTS Icon_minitimeMon 13 Sep 2010, 10:54 am

can I just have the "kiss and make it better"?
Back to top Go down

Lets Talk MAGGOTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk MAGGOTS   Lets Talk MAGGOTS Icon_minitimeMon 13 Sep 2010, 2:23 pm

Lets Talk MAGGOTS 204537 I'm eating my lunch here!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lets Talk MAGGOTS Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lets Talk MAGGOTS   Lets Talk MAGGOTS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lets Talk MAGGOTS
Page 1 of 1