Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New project !

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

New project ! Empty
PostSubject: New project !   New project ! Icon_minitimeSun 12 Sep 2010, 3:34 pm

Dragged this home from my best friend's dad's.....he was going to chop it up for firewood. He's 86 and remembers it from his grandparents house when he was little.

Another relative painted it white/beige ( ?) and then added a thin, steaky coat of of brown over top. Got to strip and refinish and fingers crossed it turns out looking a little better ....oh, and they lost 8 of the original knobs too, so will try to make these match and I got 4 cobalt colored depression glass ones off ebay to go on the two smaller drawers to spice it up a bit Giggle

New project ! P9030014

Wish me luck!!!!
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

New project ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New project !   New project ! Icon_minitimeSun 12 Sep 2010, 7:09 pm

Oh can you see envy all over my face? Is that made of walnut or oak or do you know?
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

New project ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New project !   New project ! Icon_minitimeSun 12 Sep 2010, 7:50 pm

Beautiful. Luck!!
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

New project ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New project !   New project ! Icon_minitimeSun 12 Sep 2010, 8:42 pm

yorkiemom wrote:
Oh can you see envy all over my face? Is that made of walnut or oak or do you know?

Haven't got a clue yorkie. I'm not much good with figuring out what most woods are. The back is rough sawn board and the damn paint covers everything else so the only think I have to go by is from the dusty inside. Once I get the crap off it'll be easier to tell. The old sideboard I got and have yet to refinish is definitely oak, this one .......no idea.
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

New project ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New project !   New project ! Icon_minitimeSun 12 Sep 2010, 8:48 pm

Couldn't bear the thought of this going up in flames. It's going to replace my 25 yr old pressed board, plastic painted, wood look triple dresser.......which has already made it's way to my daughter's in exchange for her helping me unload and more this.

I have a special place in my heart for old wood furniture and if you remember the pics of my sideboard.....the quirkier the better. I've also got a little bedside table/cabinet that has a a hand cut design in the door, at least five different coats of paint and a charred back corner from some sort of fire.........once I get it redone daughter gets the matching bedside table to the dresser she hauled home.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

New project ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New project !   New project ! Icon_minitimeSun 12 Sep 2010, 9:02 pm

That will look really nice when you're done with it. Don't blame you, it's something that I wouldn't be able to see be made out of firewood. I wish more of today's furniture was made of solid wood, instead of that stupid cardboard / compressed crappola that falls apart after a couple of years.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

New project ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New project !   New project ! Icon_minitimeSun 12 Sep 2010, 9:56 pm

what do you use to strip your furniture with?
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

New project ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New project !   New project ! Icon_minitimeSun 12 Sep 2010, 10:49 pm

I picked up Circa 1850 after chatting with some folks on an antique forum I found last year. Got lots of advice on what to do with my sideboard.....now that I have some more space and can move it up to the bedroom with the chest of drawers I can drag them out onto the deck to work outside. Haven't used it yet, but it goes on like paint, wait 20 min or less, then use a scraper to peel it off. Won't be as easy with the sideboard because of all the carving detail. That's going to need a steel brush to get into all the grooves and curves. So not looking forward to that but can't wait to get them done so I can enjoy them.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=1694
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

New project ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New project !   New project ! Icon_minitimeSun 12 Sep 2010, 10:52 pm

sounds like the stuff I use,I love doing the antique furniture,I have a small oak table
I hope to get done soon,have it mostly stripped just have been so busy outside I haven't had time to do it yet

My other passion is old linens,pillow cases,dresser scarfs,all vintage makes me happy LOL
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

New project ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New project !   New project ! Icon_minitimeSun 12 Sep 2010, 10:57 pm

Then you need to attack my linen closet !! Aside from some pieces I sold years ago....before I knew their real worth (and when we seriously needed the money) I have pieces from the 30's and 40's. Linen napkins and table cloths that were worked by nuns in a convent here as well as handmade lace table cloths and hand embroidered scarves and table cloths. Rarely even take them out, let alone use them....but they were my mother's and aunt's and they each have their own stories.
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

New project ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New project !   New project ! Icon_minitimeSun 12 Sep 2010, 10:58 pm

Oh! and my mid to late 1800's Chinese silk embroidered tapestry
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

New project ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New project !   New project ! Icon_minitimeSun 12 Sep 2010, 11:08 pm

Oh I would love to get in your linen closet,I must admit that I use all of mine,as I feel
they add so much to my antique furniture,I have some things my grandmothers that
she embroidered,but those I actually framed and put in the 1901 room that I did

I recently went to a sale and found some of the old flour sack dish towels,and I love them,use them daily and enjoy every moment of them

Right now I am working on doing a replica of a 1910 room,I love the hunt for the right pieces for the dressers and things
Back to top Go down
rottnmom
Warmed up
Warmed up
rottnmom

New project ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New project !   New project ! Icon_minitimeMon 13 Sep 2010, 12:28 am

I'd love to see pics of your 1901 room! batting 1910 is the year my dad was born.

Can you just imagine what will be hauled out of closets and trunks 100 years from now? polyester, plastic and pathetic? 🚬
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

New project ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New project !   New project ! Icon_minitimeMon 13 Sep 2010, 1:18 am

Nice project. I do agree that the old stuff has so much character and adds warmness to a room. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New project ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New project !   New project ! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New project !
Page 1 of 1