Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Calgary Stampeded..

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mini
Admin
Admin

Calgary Stampeded.. Empty
PostSubject: Calgary Stampeded..   Calgary Stampeded.. Icon_minitimeTue 13 Jul 2010, 8:02 pm

This always turns into a good debate. I am hoping because of our membership we can have one of those..

So far 4 horses have died.

See news article

With four horses dead in a little more than 24 hours at the Calgary Stampede, organizers are facing a barrage of criticism from animal rights' groups.

The latest horse death occurred late Monday, when the animal broke its shoulder competing in the chuckwagon event.

Veterinarians treated the horse immediately, but decided its injuries were so severe, it needed to be put down.

Desiree Arsenault of the Calgary Humane Society said that society needs raise its voice to ask the Stampede to remove "high-risk" events such as chuckwagon races.

"It's just a matter of looking at the use of animals in the entertainment industry and deciding whether that's something society wants to continue," she told CTV Calgary.

The Vancouver Society and the U.K.-based group, League Against Cruel Sports, have been outspoken in their criticism of the Stampede throughout the last week.

Earlier on Monday, a horse died during the novice saddle bronc event, when it broke its back after bucking its rider off.

Another horse died of a heart attack Monday, as it trained for a chuckwagon run.

On Sunday, a horse died instantly of a heart attack during the team cattle penning competition. The female rider, Amy Carver, sustained a traumatic head injury when she was pinned under the horse as it fell to the ground.

Carver is still in intensive care.

Four animals -- one steer and three horses -- died last year at the Stampede.

Should the calgary stampede close it's doors. As Peta and some animal right activists want. Or should they just drop certain events. Or should they continue as planned

Thoughts on this?
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Stampeded..   Calgary Stampeded.. Icon_minitimeTue 13 Jul 2010, 8:08 pm

I don't think one can prove that the horses that died of heart attacks had that much to do with the stampede,however,rodeo has a deep history and I really don't think it will change in the near future

If we scrutinize the calgary stampede or any rodeo for that matter,I think one is stepping on a lot of peoples toes

I hate seeing the animals injured or dying though so as always I sit on the fence with this one
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Stampeded..   Calgary Stampeded.. Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jul 2010, 7:09 pm

So since this was posted.. another 2 horses have died...

no thoughts..
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Stampeded..   Calgary Stampeded.. Icon_minitimeSat 17 Jul 2010, 12:51 am

It's unfortunate these things occur but I don't think they should cancel the stampede because of it. So many animals die for varied reasons all the time out of the limelite and nobody gets overly concerned but because these type of instances are right out there in public they get more attention. Might be the farmer in me but to my mind these are working animals losing their lives doing their job as many do...pick any species including humans. There is always going to be animal activists that rise up against animals being used for competitions and advocate against everything...some the same people who protest in public and then stop at a restaurant for a burger...not all of them but you get my jist. Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Stampeded..   Calgary Stampeded.. Icon_minitimeSat 17 Jul 2010, 1:06 am

why couldn't I have said it that well pooper?
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Stampeded..   Calgary Stampeded.. Icon_minitimeSat 17 Jul 2010, 11:04 am

Pooper, YOu knwo that those are my thoughts.. too. You stole them right out of my head.. LMAO....

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Calgary Stampeded..   Calgary Stampeded.. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Calgary Stampeded..
Page 1 of 1