Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

IN the news....

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mini
Admin
Admin

IN the news.... Empty
PostSubject: IN the news....   IN the news.... Icon_minitimeSat 07 Nov 2009, 2:49 pm

I love to discuss things that are in the news... So lets post hot or not so hot news topics... and discuss the articles... ya I am in one of those moods...

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20091107/EDM_cab_091107/20091107/?hub=EdmontonHome

NOt a very good article... but I am starting to hate our justice system. Okay so lets say these individuals get jail time.. What are they going to get 6 months. NOw any high speed chase in downtown edmonton is dangerous. People can be killed. But who knows they will get a slap on the wrist and sent on their merry way. We will never know.. because the news will not do a follow up to this story. But it really gets me.. that I think there needs to be harder punishment for individuals. Even more so, in the younger generation. A slap on the hand teaches them nothing. But I think we need to have more boot camps... for these individuals.. in hopes that maybe they may think twice before committing the same offense
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
ivegotfleas1
Admin
Admin
ivegotfleas1

IN the news.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: IN the news....   IN the news.... Icon_minitimeSat 07 Nov 2009, 3:57 pm

Cut off their hands!
Back to top Go down
http://wgaf.smfforfree3.com/index.php
Mini
Admin
Admin

IN the news.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: IN the news....   IN the news.... Icon_minitimeSun 08 Nov 2009, 5:56 pm

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20091108/EDM_health_bill_091108/20091108/?hub=EdmontonHome

I think this bill is long overdue. To many americans do not have the proper medical coverage. IMO everyone has the right to medical care and not those who have deep pockets.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

IN the news.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: IN the news....   IN the news.... Icon_minitimeSun 08 Nov 2009, 6:04 pm

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090701/EDM_spellings_090701/20090706/?hub=EdmontonHome

Hmm I guess I don't spell like a Canadian, but the funny thing is. I was going through my daughter school work. Some of her " canadian books" are using the american spelling....

I wonder why, in this english language we spell words differently?
Back to top Go down

IN the news.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: IN the news....   IN the news.... Icon_minitimeSun 08 Nov 2009, 9:26 pm

Great post...I love to discuss stuff in the news. I posted this topic in another discussion forum in the TV category (many here would probably know that discussion forum I'm talking about....LOL).

Anyhow, I caught an episode of The Fifth Estate (Friday, Nov. 6/09) that documented in great detail the Greyhound bus beheading (Vince Li attacks & beheads carnival worker Tim McLean on the bus) that occurred July 2008. They interviewed a few people who were on the bus at the time + a trucker passing by (who inevitably ended up assisting others in containing Li in the bus). Tim McLean's mother was also interviewed (uuugghhh...my heart went out to this poor woman as she told her story).

What I found out through watching this program, (and was absolutely floored to discover), was the lack of response by the RC's at the site of this tragedy. There is now a multi-million dollar lawsuit being launched by the McLean family against the RCMP, for their obvious lack of wanting to get involved in this incident as Li was in the bus.

Apparently for 4 hours...yes 4 hours they (the RC's, and the people from the bus) stood outside the bus, as they watched Li defile the body of his victim....eating his eyes, ears, heart....and showing it all to onlookers. Huh?!?!....is this standard RC procedure? Even the trucker mentioned that they could have easily pumped tear gas inside the bus, to defuse the situation...rather than allow him to continue degrading the body.

I suppose this is why I wanted to (but never did) get into law enforcement....I'd have surely shot the son of a b!TcH...no innocent until proven guilty on that one....it's a slam dunk dead ringer closed case.

Oh...and btw...for everyone that likes to travel Greyhound....yes....that bus....it's now been refitted and reworked and is back out on the road in a totally different location of the country (which Greyhound refused to identify).

Such an unbelievable sad and sick story.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

IN the news.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: IN the news....   IN the news.... Icon_minitimeMon 09 Nov 2009, 12:42 pm

I wish I watched that...

What gets me about this whole situation.. Is why no one on the bus stopped him. He had a knife not a gun. But everyone just ran off the bus and yes watched for 4 hours while this I can not even call him an animal ( that would be negative to animals) mutilated this poor soul.

I don't know what has happened to our society... all I read is the me mentality and maybe I am cut from a different cloth...

But if I was on that bus... I would try to stop it.. I am not a super woman or anything but I was raised when someone is in trouble you help. I know most of you would say but you could get hurt.... oh well.. not like I haven't ever been stabbed before.

This whole sceniro just blew my mind.. even more so when you said the rcmps didn't do anything for 4 hours. What a load of shit.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

IN the news.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: IN the news....   IN the news.... Icon_minitimeMon 09 Nov 2009, 12:50 pm

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20091109/women_health_091109/20091109?hub=TopStoriesV2

Despite living years longer than men, women's lives aren't necessarily healthier because they often receive such poor health care, the World Health Organization says.

In a report out Monday, the WHO noted that women around the world often suffer from inadequate health care throughout their lives, but particularly in their adolescence and old age.

The report, entitled "Women and Health," says women's health care needs are often not met because men often exercise the political, social and economic control in many societies.

And while women provide the bulk of health care as nurses, nannies and caregivers in the home and the community, more often than not, they go unrecognized and unremunerated in this role, the WHO notes.

"We will not see significant progress as long as women are regarded as second-class citizens in so many parts of the world," said WHO Director General Margaret Chan in a statement at the report's unveiling.

The report cites as an example, childbirth. While birthing services are highly sophisticated in many countries, care can often hinge on a pregnant woman's social standing, the report notes.

"In many countries, sexual and reproductive health services tend to focus exclusively on married women and ignore the needs of unmarried women and adolescents," the report reads.

And while improvements have been made to provide women with safer childbirth, pregnancy-related conditions continue to be major killers of women aged 15 to 45 globally, says the WHO's Dr. Tonya Nyagiro.

"Despite the fact that we've seen improvements in maternal health care, there are still 500,000 women who die from complications from pregnancy and childbirth every year," she told Canada AM Monday.

As young girls, women face unique health issues that are often ignored by health systems, including sexually transmitted disease, high transmission risk for HIV/AIDS, anemia, and depression.

Low-income nations also have minimal screening and treatment services for cervical cancer, the second-most common type of cancer in women and one that has high fatality rates in underdeveloped nations.

Too often, the report contends, women run into roadblocks accessing health care for mental health problems and sexual violence, which many societies prefer to ignore.

As women age, they often find their health problems such as eyesight and hearing loss, arthritis and heart troubles untreated.

"Perhaps one of the greatest challenges faced by the individual woman as she ages and by the society which surrounds her, is the disintegration of the self that occurs with dementia," the report underlined.

The prevalence of dementia appears to double about every five years after the age of 65, the WHO found, when women in many societies enjoy an extended life expectancy compared to men.

Dr. Nyagiro notes that the solutions to the gaps in women's health care lie in major systematic changes.

"Raising the issue of women's health needs to go beyond the health sector. Certainly, health services are part of the solution but so are things like access to education, improving livelihoods for women and things to improve the status of women," she said.

To do that, changes need to be made to inequities in access to education, employment and fair wages, the WHO report said. This is especially crucial in markets where medical insurance is linked to work or where user fees are required to access basic services, it notes.

Chan called for urgent action both within the health sector and beyond to improve the health and lives of girls and women around the world, from birth to older age.

"If women are denied a chance to develop their full human potential, including their potential to lead healthier and at least somewhat happier lives, is society as a whole really healthy? What does this say about the state of social progress in the 21st century?" asked Chan.

Interesting article.. May explain alot.. I am glad that we live in a country where we all have the opportunity for medicine ect... But what about other countries where woman are 2nd or 3rd or 4th class citizens
Back to top Go down
*~Skittles~*
Warmed up
Warmed up
*~Skittles~*

IN the news.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: IN the news....   IN the news.... Icon_minitimeTue 10 Nov 2009, 7:41 pm

2 dead, 2 injured in Tualatin shooting

PORTLAND, Ore. -- A man and a woman were killed in a shooting at a Tualatin drug testing center Tuesday, according to Tualatin Police Department.

Police Chief Kent Baker said a man armed with a rifle entered the Legacy Metro Lab drug testing center at 7587 SW Mohawk St. and began firing.
Raw: Witnesses detail mayhem

Gunman's motive unknown

A woman was killed. At least two others were injured. The suspect was later found dead from what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot, Baker said.

Police, firefighters and medics from across Washington County and metro Portland responded after initial reports of a shooting were called in, sometime after 11 a.m., according to Jennifer Massey with Tualatin PD. SWAT teams from Washington County Major Crimes Unit were quickly on the scene, closing streets and evacuating many businesses in the business park.

Evacuees were transported to a nearby hotel, a witness told KGW. They were later released.

Schools in the Tigard-Tualatin School District were locked down as well.

Baker could not say for certain how many people were in the drug testing center when the shooter opened fire.

"I don't know. We don't know -- I just don't know how many," Baker said, adding that witnesses and bystanders were still being treated and debriefed by investigators.

The gunman's motive was unknown. It was unclear what relationship, if any, he had with the lab or anyone there.

A Good Samaritan who was driving by just after the shooting spoke with KGW early on. Mike McNeil said he saw a woman covered in blood running across the business park's parking lot.

McNeil said he stopped to help her. She told him that an armed man walked into the drug testing center, opened fire, and that three or four people had been shot.

Baker said that one victim was found across the parking lot, covered in blood, near the Subway restaurant.

Workers were allowed back in before 2 p.m. The superintendent of schools said all children were safe and that schools were no longer under lock down.

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/stories/kgw_111009_news_tualatin_shooting_.2a3049f68.html
Back to top Go down
http://amandamariewescott.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

IN the news.... Empty
PostSubject: Re: IN the news....   IN the news.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

IN the news....
Page 1 of 1