Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

This is for Jersey, Potbelly PIGS

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mini
Admin
Admin

This is for Jersey, Potbelly PIGS Empty
PostSubject: This is for Jersey, Potbelly PIGS   This is for Jersey, Potbelly PIGS Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jun 2010, 3:57 pm

Yes, I have a potbelly pig Who lives in my house. He shares a room with the pugs. He is free to walk around the house.. or if he wants to go into his kennel.. with his blanket and toys.

First thing to know. Is Pigs, are one of the cleanest and smartest animals. If I remember correctly they are ranked 3 right next to dolphins.

I never thought I would enjoy having a pig in the house. But if you really pay attention. They have several of differnt snorts. Joey also wags his tail- when he is happy. He doesn't have a regular tail like the Farm pigs. They have a long tail. He has a minimal hair.

There is 1 in a million chance for people to have allergies to a pig. They are one of the most animals that people do not react to. I had one of my piglets go to a home. Because her son couldn't haven any animals due to his severe allergies.

It is imperative that you watch the weight on your pig. Because they are very food motivated. If you have an over weight pig- they tend to have alot of leg/hip problems. ANother pet peeve of mine. Our pig is rationed. He is a very good size.

Because as pigs get older- they can not do stairs very well. So to combat this. Hubby made him a ramp off our stairs. He goes out into his pen.. throughout the day. He still can use the stairs. But he can make the choice.

Because Pigs can not sweat. It is imperative that you give them something to cool off in. A pool.. or a mud hole. A mude hole cools them off- but also provides them relieve from the bugs. We have a zapper on the back. Plus I use konk spray system.

They are very social animals. They love Belly rubs and scratches. They are a herd animals. They can not be kept alone without social contact or interactio from other pigs or animals....

If you are not careful. you have to baby proof your house. They can open doors.. fridges.. They have alot of power for such a small animal. They will take their snout and push and lift just with their snout.

They like to burrow... They do well in the winter without heat.. because they have thick skin. As long as they can burrow themselves into straw. They will be fine at temps in the -50. He has lots of blankets in his room

THey also can be destructive when they are bored. In our house.. we have pig toys. I have found the ball that dispenses treats invaluable. It provides him with exericise and pretty funny to watch him move it all around. he does like balls over other toys.

It is imperative to get your pig fixed. They do not do well under anthesia.. as they can die. When we casterated our pigs. A local spray was used and whamo.. my cats ate all the piggies balls. This is done at a very young age.

I am in the process of trying to halter train him.. and getting him to walk on a lead. I want to bring him into the nursing home. However, he is a bucking bronco piggy LMAO.. but I don't think it will take him long as they are really treat motivated. There are some really cute utube videos out there of well trainned piggies.

any questions. I willl post pics.. after I get home from work today....
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
Kewl Chick
Kewl Chick

PostSubject: Re: This is for Jersey, Potbelly PIGS   This is for Jersey, Potbelly PIGS Icon_minitimeSun 13 Jun 2010, 4:04 pm

woohoo, can't wait to see the pictures!!
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

PostSubject: Re: This is for Jersey, Potbelly PIGS   This is for Jersey, Potbelly PIGS Icon_minitimeThu 17 Jun 2010, 7:50 am

cheers cheers I thread with my name on it! cheers
I can't wait to see Joey's pictures.
That was a lot of good information.
Thank you Mini for posting that.
Weird...I wonder where the expression, "sweating like a pig came from?"
Pigs can't sweat.
Looking forward to seeing Joey. This is for Jersey, Potbelly PIGS 674383
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: This is for Jersey, Potbelly PIGS   This is for Jersey, Potbelly PIGS Icon_minitimeTue 22 Jun 2010, 11:09 am

Pigs are really smart animals, they're good at agility too (hint, hint). :lol:
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: This is for Jersey, Potbelly PIGS   This is for Jersey, Potbelly PIGS Icon_minitimeTue 13 Jul 2010, 2:03 am

geez I make all these promises..

update.. Joey has moved outside to my kidding pen. It has a little doorway and is attached to my kidding barn. He has hi own.. Yard. He is very happy out there. He still will come inside during winter and when the weather changes. but he is out there digging his holes. I am hopefully going to let him out in the yard. Hubby thinks it will be cool to have a yard pig. Like I don't stop enough traffic along side the roads....

But when the rain stops I will take pics of joey.. and take more video of my divas.. Just been so busy with the new trailer and other various projects out here. Plus taking a break and doing nothing but playing on the computer today .. doesn't help matters
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This is for Jersey, Potbelly PIGS   This is for Jersey, Potbelly PIGS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

This is for Jersey, Potbelly PIGS
Page 1 of 1