Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Are you shy?

Go down 
+12
smurry
BigBrownEyes29
*~Skittles~*
ChiaPet
SillyStorm
Mini
cureforboredom
Jerseyfivedogs
yorkiemom
HoodieCrow
Snitty
Kewl Chick
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Kewl Chick
Kewl Chick

Are you shy? Empty
PostSubject: Are you shy?   Are you shy? Icon_minitimeTue 18 May 2010, 7:17 pm

Well I am a pretty shy person and in two weeks I am scheduled to present at a large conference. I am pretty nervous about the whole idea and I hope I don't vomit. The chair of our session is a pretty well known and well regarded professor and I am feeling very intimidated about this. I think it will be a good experience but scared as hell...on top of my presentation I also offered to do the opening and closing of the Mohawk Thanksgiving address in the language...
Back to top Go down
Snitty
Warmed up
Warmed up
Snitty

Are you shy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you shy?   Are you shy? Icon_minitimeTue 18 May 2010, 7:19 pm

No.
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

Are you shy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you shy?   Are you shy? Icon_minitimeTue 18 May 2010, 7:30 pm

The last time someone asked me this question got me in trouble. :lol:

Sometimes, yes. It really depends.

I think I'm shy by nature, but circumstances have forced me to become a more social creature.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

Are you shy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you shy?   Are you shy? Icon_minitimeTue 18 May 2010, 7:33 pm

That sounds interesting KC the mohawk language would be interesting,I used to speak a fair bit of cree
Back to top Go down
Kewl Chick
Kewl Chick

Are you shy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you shy?   Are you shy? Icon_minitimeTue 18 May 2010, 7:38 pm

I think I would have been fine until I seen the name of the chair for our session. The language I am just learning but I know enough to do this and I feel that it is important to start and end our session with this as it is the words that come before all else in my teachings. I know many Cree people but I do not understand the language other than maybe basic greetings. Did you learn that when you were here in Canada?

Oh btw Hoodie, hopefully this doesn't get you into trouble.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

Are you shy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you shy?   Are you shy? Icon_minitimeTue 18 May 2010, 7:43 pm

Yes I did when I had so many native foster children,I found some of them that came off the reserves did better to start with if I could speak at least the basics in their language. I took lessons for a great lady who
taught me first to say in Cree_stupid yankee woman trying to speak cree with an accent LOL,then she would laugh and laugh when I could say it

She also taught me how to tan a hide the native way,so much learned and now not used and one forgets the language quickly,but I loved it when i was doing it
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

Are you shy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you shy?   Are you shy? Icon_minitimeTue 18 May 2010, 7:50 pm

KewlChick wrote:

Oh btw Hoodie, hopefully this doesn't get you into trouble.

I'm certain it won't. Completely different situation. :lol:
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

Are you shy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you shy?   Are you shy? Icon_minitimeTue 18 May 2010, 7:58 pm

Shy, no.
Insecure, yes.
Back to top Go down
Kewl Chick
Kewl Chick

Are you shy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you shy?   Are you shy? Icon_minitimeTue 18 May 2010, 8:01 pm

That's awesome Yorkie. It sounds like you had a good teacher!! I bet you made a big difference for some of those kids, and it is amazing that you wanted to learn the language to connect with them. You really have a good heart, I'm happy to have met you!!! (even if only virtually) I have never tanned a hide but from what I understand it is not an easy process.

I totally understand what you mean about losing the language as I don't really have anyone to communicate with so I can see myself forgetting things fast so I always try and speak what I do know even if only to myself. I don't think I will forget the Thanksgiving Address as I try and say it twice daily to keep it fresh. I can't wait for September to get back into the next intermediate level. I'm impressed with the basic level that I took and I hope they get a high enough enrollment to keep offering more.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

Are you shy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you shy?   Are you shy? Icon_minitimeTue 18 May 2010, 8:17 pm

That seemed to be a problem in Alberta,trying to find someone who will teach you to speak the language and then be willing to help you learn the traditions they live by.

I spent a fair bit of time on some of the reserves and came to be accepted on some of them,but not all. My proudest moment on one was
when the chief gave me a blanket,that is the ultimate acceptance on
some of the reserves

Went once for a meal on a reserve,I was ready to eat some fine Native cusine,they served me spaghetti LOL
Back to top Go down
Kewl Chick
Kewl Chick

Are you shy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you shy?   Are you shy? Icon_minitimeTue 18 May 2010, 8:31 pm

LOL about the spaghetti, I think it has become fine Indian cuisine...but the blanket was a significant traditional gift and IMO was quite an honour. I know exactly what you mean about the acceptance as I am not full blooded and there have been a few times where that matters to some but I never let it get me down. They don't need to know who I am, that is my job!!

I believe the hard part about the language and traditions has to do with the history and residential schools but that is JMO. I know the impacts and the hard part of trying to re-learn and take back what was lost and stolen. I never knew anything growing up other than I was Native and the teachings were never really passed down because it was better not to know for our own protection...or so they believed. I have accepted my responsibility to re-learn and share with my family but I have a long way to go.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

Are you shy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you shy?   Are you shy? Icon_minitimeTue 18 May 2010, 8:36 pm

I have to agree with you and unless you are lucky enough to find an elder that is willing to teach you it is difficult to learn.

I was so fortunate to be able to watch the dancing and be invited to some of the pow wows that were not open to the public

Most of my kids were native and they taught me a lot even when they
didn't know it.

My husband was Metis,and some accepted him on the reserves and some did not,he was raised by a native family that defintely held
on to some of the old ways.
Back to top Go down
cureforboredom
Settling in
Settling in
cureforboredom

Are you shy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you shy?   Are you shy? Icon_minitimeTue 18 May 2010, 9:03 pm

Good luck, Kewl. I'm sure you'll do grand. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

Are you shy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you shy?   Are you shy? Icon_minitimeTue 18 May 2010, 10:32 pm

who me.. shy... Yes.... LMAO..

No, I am not shy. I am blessed with the ability to stand up and speak. Now, on the reverse of the coin. My mouth throughout the years has gotten me in some tad tough situations.

I think as I age, I have come to realize that I can't change the world and sometimes a softer approach is necessary. I can't go about things like I used HA HAH... LIke a bull in a china shop.
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
SillyStorm
Settling in
Settling in

Are you shy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you shy?   Are you shy? Icon_minitimeTue 18 May 2010, 11:01 pm

Believe it or not I am a bit shy especially when meeting new people but boy can I ever relate to the "Bull in the China shop" haha Hubby don't like me and 'crowds' together lol but I think it's funny as hell.

Embarassed :face:

Good luck Kewlchick maybe try practising in front of your family would help. I once stood up for a girlfriend and shook worse than her and she was the one getting married LOL ... Never again hehe.

Again good luck girl hope it goes well for you.
Back to top Go down
ChiaPet
Warmed up
Warmed up

Are you shy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you shy?   Are you shy? Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010, 8:45 am

yes.
Back to top Go down
*~Skittles~*
Warmed up
Warmed up
*~Skittles~*

Are you shy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you shy?   Are you shy? Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010, 8:52 am

I don't consider myself shy, But I am cautious at first when meeting new people.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://amandamariewescott.blogspot.com/
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Are you shy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you shy?   Are you shy? Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010, 10:01 am

Am I shy, I used to be when I was younger.

KC, that sounds really cool doing a speech in the Mohawk language. I know you'll do awesome. Smile

D wrote:
No.

D, Are you sure your not shy? I always pictured you to be the shy and quiet type. :lol:
Back to top Go down
smurry
Settling in
Settling in

Are you shy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you shy?   Are you shy? Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010, 11:03 am

yes I'm shy, insecure and have low self esteem...I'm a real winner :lol:
Back to top Go down
Igloosukka
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
Igloosukka

Are you shy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you shy?   Are you shy? Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010, 11:05 am

VERY SHY!!!!!

NOT! affraid
Back to top Go down
Kewl Chick
Kewl Chick

Are you shy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you shy?   Are you shy? Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010, 11:24 am

LMAO Igloo, I knew you would try and trick us. Are you shy? 448652
Back to top Go down
Igloosukka
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
Igloosukka

Are you shy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you shy?   Are you shy? Icon_minitimeWed 19 May 2010, 1:22 pm

KewlChick wrote:
LMAO Igloo, I knew you would try and trick us. Are you shy? 448652

Ohhhh, spank me, spank meeee!

Iam not shy, but I am a high ranking introvert.
Back to top Go down

Are you shy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you shy?   Are you shy? Icon_minitimeThu 20 May 2010, 7:05 am

Usually I am not shy,I am open and friendly .

But if a Man flirts with me I become speechless , uncomfortable and find a reason to put distance between us .

I work with Men all day and am lucky they all respect me as a co worker would make my life miserable if they made sexual remarks all day .
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

Are you shy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you shy?   Are you shy? Icon_minitimeThu 20 May 2010, 9:31 am

Jersey fivedogs wrote:
Shy, no.
Insecure, yes.

+1
Back to top Go down
Snitty
Warmed up
Warmed up
Snitty

Are you shy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you shy?   Are you shy? Icon_minitimeThu 20 May 2010, 9:55 am

feathers wrote:
Usually I am not shy,I am open and friendly .

But if a Man flirts with me I become speechless , uncomfortable and find a reason to put distance between us .

I work with Men all day and am lucky they all respect me as a co worker would make my life miserable if they made sexual remarks all day .

Flirt back.. or throw him on the ground and have your way with him...

nevermind me my mind is in the gutter this morning Arrow
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Are you shy? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Are you shy?   Are you shy? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are you shy?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Yorkie's Place :: Chit Chat-
Jump to: