Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A WORD OF CAUTION.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

A WORD OF CAUTION. Empty
PostSubject: A WORD OF CAUTION.   A WORD OF CAUTION. Icon_minitimeFri 28 Jun 2013, 10:10 am

My daughters new debit card is connected to her visa account
2 Months ago she made a purchase at a dollar store in her area.
That dollar store's debit machine was defected, and you could only pay by swiping the card.
(not the chip),

Yesterday she received her visa statement whereby a outstanding balance is showing of $5500.00. She never made all these purchases.

She went to the bank manager and he explained never to swipe your card anywhere. they can copy all the information.

The OPP fraud department is investigating, a well known Real estate person lost $6000.00
on his American express. An other lady Son lost $20,000. The same way.

Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

A WORD OF CAUTION. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A WORD OF CAUTION.   A WORD OF CAUTION. Icon_minitimeFri 28 Jun 2013, 10:15 am

holy crap,I hope she gets hers cleared up. I am very careful with my debit card
Back to top Go down
Unhingedmom
Warmed up
Warmed up

A WORD OF CAUTION. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A WORD OF CAUTION.   A WORD OF CAUTION. Icon_minitimeFri 28 Jun 2013, 12:33 pm

Nero64 wrote:
She went to the bank manager and he explained never to swipe your card anywhere. they can copy all the information.

Easy for the bank manager to say, but there's a little problem with that advice.  

Some businesses don't have/haven't enabled the chip readers.  They don't work at our local Costco.

The chip reader part on the machines are notoriously dicey.  You have to insert the card all the way into the slot, and sometimes dust and grime gets in there as well.  Not sure if it affects the readability, but sometimes it affects being able to get the card in there "just so".

The chips may be more secure, but they do wear out almost as quickly and easily as the magnetic stripe.  It happens a LOT.  When it starts failing, people should just go to the bank and get new cards.  Nine times out of ten they just don't.
Back to top Go down
relaxin

A WORD OF CAUTION. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A WORD OF CAUTION.   A WORD OF CAUTION. Icon_minitimeWed 17 Jul 2013, 6:47 am

theres something to be said about CASH!!!
Back to top Go down

A WORD OF CAUTION. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A WORD OF CAUTION.   A WORD OF CAUTION. Icon_minitimeWed 17 Jul 2013, 9:09 am

Saw a show on tv, cover your cards with tin foil as they now have technology to get info from cards even when they are in your wallet/purse.Mad 
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

A WORD OF CAUTION. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A WORD OF CAUTION.   A WORD OF CAUTION. Icon_minitimeWed 17 Jul 2013, 9:13 am

I bought some little pouch like things that my credit and debit cards slide into,it protects them when the are in my wallet.
They are fairly cheap,bought mine from QVC
Back to top Go down
Yourkiedadeh
Settling in
Settling in

A WORD OF CAUTION. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A WORD OF CAUTION.   A WORD OF CAUTION. Icon_minitimeWed 20 Nov 2013, 3:19 pm

Cash no hassle.And I dont have to wait in line for you to get your card to work.Yeah all eight of you in front of me...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A WORD OF CAUTION. Empty
PostSubject: Re: A WORD OF CAUTION.   A WORD OF CAUTION. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A WORD OF CAUTION.
Page 1 of 1