Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in?

Go down 
+3
Jerseyfivedogs
yorkiemom
BigBrownEyes29
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? Empty
PostSubject: Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in?   Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? Icon_minitimeSat 15 Dec 2012, 10:12 pm

What are the pros and cons of both?
I've been researching the differences on these two technologies for the past few weeks and not sure which one is worth investing in.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in?   Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? Icon_minitimeSat 15 Dec 2012, 10:21 pm

I know the neighbour bought an LED and she loves it,I have been over a couple of times to watch it and the picture is crystal clear no matter if i am dead on it looking or off to one side or the other

That is all I know,do you mean they make a tv that isn't black and white and built into a box Giggle
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in?   Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? Icon_minitimeSat 15 Dec 2012, 10:36 pm

lol @ Yorkie. Up until 3 years ago, I still had an analog tv. So far from everyone I have asked with the exception of one person, it looks like LED is the better of the two television technologies.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in?   Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? Icon_minitimeSat 15 Dec 2012, 10:38 pm

Fleas probably knows more than any of us do or ever hope to know. I am electronicaly challenged
Back to top Go down
Jerseyfivedogs
Warmed up
Warmed up
Jerseyfivedogs

PostSubject: Re: Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in?   Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? Icon_minitimeSat 15 Dec 2012, 10:45 pm

LED.
It doesn't burn it as easily (games)

I dunno.
I asked Cory.

The screen gets image burn?

Way over my head.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in?   Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? Icon_minitimeSat 15 Dec 2012, 10:51 pm

Jerseyfivedogs wrote:
LED.
It doesn't burn it as easily (games)

I dunno.
I asked Cory.

The screen gets image burn?

Way over my head.

I've heard that about plasma TV's, the image burn. It seems everyone that I've asked with the exception of one person, says LED definitely over plasma. LED tvs tend to be more costly though. I may have to check out the prices on LEDs and see if there are any good Boxing Day deals.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in?   Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? Icon_minitimeSat 15 Dec 2012, 10:53 pm

how big a tv are you looking at ?
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in?   Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? Icon_minitimeSat 15 Dec 2012, 11:01 pm

yorkiemom wrote:
how big a tv are you looking at ?

I was thinking about getting the 60" 3D Samsung plasma tv 1080p, 600 Hz, 5 series. It may really really come down in price on Boxing Day. Early last year, they were around $2500. Then early this year it went down to $1000. I'm hoping that on Boxing Day it may go down to $600 to $800. LEDs are so expensive, but it looks like LED might be the better investment. A 47" to 50" 3D LED tv will be more than the 60" plasma. As frugile as I am, I like to keep things for a very long long long time until they die and LED seems like it might be the better choice. I'll have to wait until last Christmas day to see what the deals are to make the final decision. If no good deals, might just walk out of the store without no tv. Trying to find things around the home to entertain the kids and myself, trying to aggressively save by becoming a home body.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in?   Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? Icon_minitimeSat 15 Dec 2012, 11:06 pm

board games and a deck of cards are cheaper Laughing
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in?   Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? Icon_minitimeSat 15 Dec 2012, 11:12 pm

yorkiemom wrote:
board games and a deck of cards are cheaper Laughing

Laughing I know.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in?   Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? Icon_minitimeSat 15 Dec 2012, 11:16 pm

you know I have to ask,wouldn't the kids be just as entertained with a smaller tv?
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in?   Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? Icon_minitimeSat 15 Dec 2012, 11:41 pm

yorkiemom wrote:
you know I have to ask,wouldn't the kids be just as entertained with a smaller tv?

My kids wouldn't care if it were a smaller tv or whether it was 3D or not. I just thought the 3D effect if the price is right, would look nicer on a slightly bigger screen. To be honest, it's more for me but only a thought and only if the sale price happens to be a good deal. Once a year or every other year, I'll treat myself to a big ticket item if it goes on sale.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in?   Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? Icon_minitimeSat 15 Dec 2012, 11:47 pm

everyone is entitiled to that once in awhile

I don't do a lot of tv,so I have to ask,is there enough 3D programing or movies to purchase a 4D tv and don't you have to wear those funny glasses
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in?   Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? Icon_minitimeSun 16 Dec 2012, 12:08 am

More movies are coming out in 3D DVDs. You have to wear those funny glasses when the 3D is turned on. A friend has a 3D tv and I was by his place to see 15 minutes of a 3D movie. It's pretty cool, but I wouldn't have paid the price that he paid for his tv two years ago. I can wait to see if it comes down a lot in price by waiting for the model to become out dated, and if not, then my addiction for some electronics is not bad where I can't walk away.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in?   Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? Icon_minitimeSun 16 Dec 2012, 12:14 am

do you get some glasses when you buy the tv
Back to top Go down
ivegotfleas1
Admin
Admin
ivegotfleas1

PostSubject: Re: Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in?   Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? Icon_minitimeSun 16 Dec 2012, 12:33 am

The difference from what I understand these days is price. The plasma are warmer when on, but not a huge difference picture wise anymore. The burn in is a thing of the past, unless you are constantly playing.

If you buy 3D, go with an LG. They give you 4 pairs (at least) of glasses and you can use the theatre ones as well. The others you have to charge them....I don't get it. Oh, and they cost a shitload.

I had a 55" LG LED 3D Smart Tv, I loved it.

Sooooo, if it's strictly for tv/movie type use, you can't really go wrong with either imo.
Back to top Go down
http://wgaf.smfforfree3.com/index.php

PostSubject: Re: Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in?   Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? Icon_minitimeSun 16 Dec 2012, 9:53 am

ivegotfleas1 wrote:
The difference from what I understand these days is price. The plasma are warmer when on, but not a huge difference picture wise anymore. The burn in is a thing of the past, unless you are constantly playing.

If you buy 3D, go with an LG. They give you 4 pairs (at least) of glasses and you can use the theatre ones as well. The others you have to charge them....I don't get it. Oh, and they cost a shitload.

Sooooo, if it's strictly for tv/movie type use, you can't really go wrong with either imo.

You HAD, what happened to it?
Back to top Go down
ivegotfleas1
Admin
Admin
ivegotfleas1

PostSubject: Re: Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in?   Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? Icon_minitimeSun 16 Dec 2012, 12:10 pm

jamn53 wrote:
ivegotfleas1 wrote:

You HAD, what happened to it?

Sacrificed for the greater good. Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? 1371890812 Never had any issues with it, more important things needed to be done and it was one of many casualties.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in?   Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? Icon_minitimeSun 16 Dec 2012, 12:55 pm

ivegotfleas1 wrote:

Yorkie, the 3D TVs come with glasses. Some depending on where you buy your tv will come with only 2 pairs, some 4, and some 6 pairs.

Fleas, from what I was reading the plasmas have active 3D technology. With active 3D, you can only use up to a maximum of 4 pairs of glasses. They have to be charged, are heavy and some people are complaining of mirgraines 15 minutes into watching the movie. The glasses are around $150 each.

The LEDs seem to have the passive technology. Costco has either a 50" or 55" LG LED 3D TV with passive 3D technology, it comes with 6 pairs of glasses, and like you mentioned you can use the ones that you get from the movie theatre for them. The are also a lot cheaper than the active 3D glasses. This is the one I've been looking at (LG LED 3D TV ), but not sure of the size yet. It will all depend on the deals on the 26th.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in?   Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? Icon_minitimeSun 16 Dec 2012, 1:50 pm

Sounds like to me BBE that you have done the research
Back to top Go down
ivegotfleas1
Admin
Admin
ivegotfleas1

PostSubject: Re: Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in?   Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? Icon_minitimeSun 16 Dec 2012, 3:50 pm

The cool thing with the 3D is that you can use it on anything you watch/play. Obviously you won't get the full effect, but kinda fun to play with.

Yourkey is right, sounds like you did lots of research and are well prepared. If I was buying again, I'd definitely go LED. Good Luck!

PS. You should pick up two and have me test the second for you. Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? 1953002874
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in?   Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? Icon_minitimeSun 16 Dec 2012, 3:51 pm

I was thinking I should let her bring it to me and maybe then I would watch more tv and save the world from my outside presence
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in?   Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? Icon_minitimeSun 16 Dec 2012, 4:13 pm

If I ever win big in the lottery, I'll buy you each one. Smile
Back to top Go down
ivegotfleas1
Admin
Admin
ivegotfleas1

PostSubject: Re: Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in?   Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? Icon_minitimeMon 17 Dec 2012, 12:22 am

BigBrownEyes29 wrote:
If I ever win big in the lottery, I'll buy you each one. Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? 650269930

I really like the 90". Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? 364988687
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in?   Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? Icon_minitimeMon 17 Dec 2012, 12:26 am

That would give me wall to wall tv,I think I will pass
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in?   Plasma tv or LED tv, which one is better to invest in? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Yorkie's Place :: Chit Chat-
Jump to: