Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Genetically engineered children born to save the life of a sibling

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Genetically engineered children born to save the life of a sibling Empty
PostSubject: Genetically engineered children born to save the life of a sibling   Genetically engineered children born to save the life of a sibling Icon_minitimeSat 05 Dec 2009, 2:47 pm

I posted this on the other forum, but I know not everyone here frequents the other forum and thought I would get the thoughts / opinions from those on this forum about this topic.

This is a sensitive topic, so if it hits too close to home, skip this thread and move on to another topic. The purpose is not to post it to hurt another feelings but to get opinions from others, other than my own thoughts on this subject. Hoping everyone can have a good discussion / debate on this topic, without it getting too over heated.

Yesterday I needed a break from an exam that I'm studying for, so decided to watch a movie. I picked up the movie "My Sister's Keeper" and started watching it. The movie brought back something I remembered happening about 18 years ago, a real life case where a couple had a daughter who was diagnosed with leukemia. The parents and her older brother were not matches for a bone marrow transplant, and they were running out of time to find a donor match. Out of desperation to save their daughter's life, the couple decided to have another child to see if this child would be a match to donate bone marrow. This child was a match, and her bone marrow was voluntarily donated by the parents to save the life of their other child. Unlike the movie, this child wasn't genetically engineered to be a match. The couple just decided to try and see if having another child would be a match for their other child who was sick.

That was back in the news when I was kid, and at the time I thought what a nice gift of one sibling to give to save another siblings life. Now that I'm older and have kids of my own, I feel kind of differently about this.

To be honest I'm not so sure how I feel about this, a big part of me thinks that this should be illegal. Not even sure if it is now illegal. A small part of me doesn't know how I would react in the race and desperation to save my child's life.

Share your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Genetically engineered children born to save the life of a sibling   Genetically engineered children born to save the life of a sibling Icon_minitimeSat 05 Dec 2009, 2:53 pm

I read the book, I picked up the movie and haven't watched it yet. so no spoiling it.. LOL

I don't know how I would feel about this. I know after reading the book. TO ask another human being to be a guinea pig in order to save another child is wrong as well.

In my mind, we are putting 2 people through hell in order to try and save another ones life. Everyone dies. It isn't fair that some die early and have to go through so much pain and suffering. But I guess it goes on how a person believes. A believe we are all put on this world for a purpose. ( NOt talking god or religion in this statement)

I guess I am on the fence with that issue. Because You may have different thoughts when you are in that situation. From an outsider looking in. we could have different opinions..

Let me think on it for awhile.. lol cause I am going to go bake some gingerbread people ( to be politically correct LOL)
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
JJ
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes

PostSubject: Re: Genetically engineered children born to save the life of a sibling   Genetically engineered children born to save the life of a sibling Icon_minitimeSat 05 Dec 2009, 4:47 pm

As hard as it would be to lose a child, I can't see myself having another child for this purpose.
Even as much as I would love my child and would want them to get better, I have always believed that "most" things happen for reasons. Even to people.
Not that it's the right way to look at situations, but it's my way of dealing with the issue of illnesses and the loss of someone I love.
Of course not in this position, I am only saying how I feel now. If I actually were in this position, I might feel differently.
I really don't know. That's a hard one to answer.
Gosh you made me really think on this one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Genetically engineered children born to save the life of a sibling   Genetically engineered children born to save the life of a sibling Icon_minitimeSat 05 Dec 2009, 8:00 pm

Have there been very many reports how the children born to help save a sibling feel about it ?
I had a daughter born who suffered birth trauma there is nothing that can be done to help her , but I am not sure what I would have done or what I would do now if by chance there was a possibility she could be helped .

Is it wrong to use the knowledge we have ? Tuff call

I am sitting here with a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes now wondering what decision I would make how far would I be willing to go for her ?

I can see how a parent would want to do anything they could for the child they have , the child they have looked in the eyes and loved . The child they are thinking of conceiving to save the one they love all ready , how do they feel about that child having to suffer to save the other ?

I guess in a way I just answered my own question ..........no I couldn't ask some one to be born just to save another .

What age do you think another sibling should be before they are asked to help by donating ?
Back to top Go down
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

PostSubject: Re: Genetically engineered children born to save the life of a sibling   Genetically engineered children born to save the life of a sibling Icon_minitimeSat 05 Dec 2009, 11:40 pm

I want to see the movie/read the book. I can't really say what I would do in that position.
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Genetically engineered children born to save the life of a sibling   Genetically engineered children born to save the life of a sibling Icon_minitimeSun 06 Dec 2009, 12:30 am

Not the same situation but similar. My cousins youngest child got all lukemia in 2006 and a bone marrow transplant was the last hope for him. His older brother was the donor in December of 2008, and it was his decision to do anything to save his little brother. They both have exactly the same DNA now and so far the little brother is getting stronger healthwise and the whole family has a bond like cement having to endure all they went through. Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Genetically engineered children born to save the life of a sibling   Genetically engineered children born to save the life of a sibling Icon_minitimeSun 06 Dec 2009, 12:48 am

feathers wrote:
Have there been very many reports how the children born to help save a sibling feel about it ?

I only know of the one case where it was done, but I'm pretty sure there was more than one. Tried to do a Google search earlier today on news stories based on similar situations, but my internet was acting up and I could access the search results. Will have to try again tomorrow to see what comes up.

I had a daughter born who suffered birth trauma there is nothing that can be done to help her , but I am not sure what I would have done or what I would do now if by chance there was a possibility she could be helped .

Is it wrong to use the knowledge we have ? Tuff call

I'm not in favour of someone being able to pick their child's sex, eye and hair colour before they're ever conceived. I know we have to medical technology to be able to do that. With that I think people need to let mother nature take its course and whatever happens happens. I'm on the fence with someone having another child to save their other child's life. Only because though I say I would never do it, I've never been faced with that situation, and can't say 100% for sure what I would do.

I am sitting here with a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes now wondering what decision I would make how far would I be willing to go for her ?

When I saw the movie, I the same thing went through my mind. I had the lump in my throat, teary eyes because I can't imagine having to make a decision like that. I can't even watch 2 minutes of a St. Judes telethon on tv without crying and getting all depressed.

I can see how a parent would want to do anything they could for the child they have , the child they have looked in the eyes and loved . The child they are thinking of conceiving to save the one they love all ready , how do they feel about that child having to suffer to save the other ?

I guess in a way I just answered my own question ..........no I couldn't ask some one to be born just to save another .

What age do you think another sibling should be before they are asked to help by donating ?

Not sure another tough question.

Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Genetically engineered children born to save the life of a sibling   Genetically engineered children born to save the life of a sibling Icon_minitimeSun 06 Dec 2009, 12:55 am

pooperscooper wrote:
Not the same situation but similar. My cousins youngest child got all lukemia in 2006 and a bone marrow transplant was the last hope for him. His older brother was the donor in December of 2008, and it was his decision to do anything to save his little brother. They both have exactly the same DNA now and so far the little brother is getting stronger healthwise and the whole family has a bond like cement having to endure all they went through. Smile Smile Smile

I guess I just answered one of the questions Feathers brought up about the age to decide. If a child already born is a match, and wants to donate, then I feel they should be able to. Just as long as the child can communicate this. I know my sons would do this for each other, should ever the other one needed a marrow transplant and the other was a match.

I'm not sure if I could ask one of my kids to give up one of their kidneys to save the other sibling, if the other siblings kidneys were shutting down. Also if I was not a match or their dad.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Genetically engineered children born to save the life of a sibling   Genetically engineered children born to save the life of a sibling Icon_minitimeSun 06 Dec 2009, 12:51 pm

Deep thoughts...

Now, keep in mind it is difficult to try to see the other side when you are not in the situation because ones opinions can change depending on the circumstances.

But this situation, draws in ones beliefs as well. Denis and I discussed this after watching the movie. The term that was used was there is a line. That line would be drawn different in everyones own case depending on their beliefs.

How far do you go, in order to save one child and not jeopardize another child. You are torn between 2 children. No one wants to die. No one wants to watch someone they love suffer. As parents, we would rather take on that pain then watch a child that you gave birth to go through that. I couldnt imagine being so helpless and wanting to do what you can in order to save your precious gift.

But when drawing that line, do you jeopardize another childs future. Because in this case giving up a kidney comes with alot of risks for the other child.

I always go with the quality of life. I think that this should be in the basis of any decision.

I will give you an example not the same sceniro. When I was pregnant. Mikayla is our last child. I told my doctor that I wanted my tubes tied. She said I should wait. She said what happens if something happens to this baby. I told her. You cant replace a child by having another child. If that is the cards that I am dealt with. Then we deal with those cards.

Life is unfair at times. But I am a strong believer that we are all put on this earth for a reason.Some for shorter times.. some for longer times. But those are the cards that we are dealt with. Would I try to change the fate by chopping up another one of my children in order to save another one. Hard call. But if the children were old enough. Then it is their decision. Not mine. If they are young like in the movie. Then depending what is needed and the quality of life for BOTH children need to be in the equation. Such as a kidney. If the donated kidney failed and did not work. It did not solve the cancer.. just prolonged the life. For how long.. How long will the suffering continue. Because now you have 2 childrens quality of life being affected. So where is the line. A tough decision.

But looking in at this point, I would have to say no. I wouldnt have a genectically made child. Just as if I was in the same situation. I know my sibblings would line up at the operating table to donate an organ for me to save me. But I wouild deny them the opportunity if it would jepordize their quality of life.. Because if that kidney wouldnt save me and just prolong my suffering. I wouldnt do that.
Back to top Go down
https://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Genetically engineered children born to save the life of a sibling   Genetically engineered children born to save the life of a sibling Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Genetically engineered children born to save the life of a sibling
Page 1 of 1