Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

10 gallon tank...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

10 gallon tank... Empty
PostSubject: 10 gallon tank...   10 gallon tank... Icon_minitimeSun 24 Oct 2010, 7:46 pm

Does anyone know anything about tropical fish?

I had a 10 gallon tank that used to have orchids in, but my masdie died (my husbands fault grrrrr) so I filled the tank with water and got some spongebob decorations lol, put a filter in it and it has been sitting for about a month with nothing (kind of forgot about it). I have a covered hood with really nice bulbs for growing med to high level light plants (assuming this would work for aquatic plants as well)

Anyways the goal is to use the fish water from water changes to water my orchids with (so I can stop collecting rain water which is a pain in the winter time)

I don't have a heater, but I want live plants in the tank and some fish or something to make the water good and dirty for my orchids.

I was just reading about letting the tank "cycle" by getting 2 starter fish and letting the natural bacteria build up for 6 weeks before adding others. But whats a good combination for a 10 gallon tank with no heater?

Something fun for the kids and easy for me.

I was thinking guppies or frogs but IDK... any ideas?

Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

10 gallon tank... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 10 gallon tank...   10 gallon tank... Icon_minitimeSun 24 Oct 2010, 11:05 pm

mcpug wrote:
Does anyone know anything about tropical fish?

I had a 10 gallon tank that used to have orchids in, but my masdie died (my husbands fault grrrrr) so I filled the tank with water and got some spongebob decorations lol, put a filter in it and it has been sitting for about a month with nothing (kind of forgot about it). I have a covered hood with really nice bulbs for growing med to high level light plants (assuming this would work for aquatic plants as well)

Anyways the goal is to use the fish water from water changes to water my orchids with (so I can stop collecting rain water which is a pain in the winter time)

I don't have a heater, but I want live plants in the tank and some fish or something to make the water good and dirty for my orchids.

I was just reading about letting the tank "cycle" by getting 2 starter fish and letting the natural bacteria build up for 6 weeks before adding others. But whats a good combination for a 10 gallon tank with no heater?

Something fun for the kids and easy for me.

I was thinking guppies or frogs but IDK... any ideas?

I'd go with goldfish as they are pretty hardy... fantails are beautiful and come in many colors. From my experience which is limited, but I did manage to keep a tank of fish tropical healthy for 5 years, so that's not bad, tropicals need heated water, guppies and goldfish don't if you don't want to heat. A Plecostomus, algae control, is always really handy to put in the tank also. Smile
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

10 gallon tank... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 10 gallon tank...   10 gallon tank... Icon_minitimeMon 25 Oct 2010, 12:21 am

before you put anything in the tank that you really want to keep put in some small feeder fish(they most likely will die) but they get the levels right and some bacteria
in the tank before you put in your keepers
Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

10 gallon tank... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 10 gallon tank...   10 gallon tank... Icon_minitimeThu 04 Nov 2010, 6:46 pm

I ended up going all out and buying a master test kit, cycled the water with some tetras and then yesterday got some balloon mollies (thought they were cute and the kids would like them which they do)

Anyways one just gave birth to about 30 babies.... oye vey

what do I do with the babies?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

10 gallon tank... Empty
PostSubject: Re: 10 gallon tank...   10 gallon tank... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

10 gallon tank...
Page 1 of 1