Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Peekaboo!!!

Go down 
+8
rottnmom
Kewl Chick
BigBrownEyes29
Unhingedmom
yorkiemom
kbullet
Jerseyfivedogs
HoodieCrow
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
kbullet
kbullet

Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Sep 2010, 11:18 am

He is a pretty baby... And bigger than I expected
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Sep 2010, 3:47 pm

yorkiemom wrote:
OH WOW,the baby is beautiful,now how does the mom react if you try to touch or handle the babies
as you can see I know very little about snakes

Milks don't maternally incubate like Pythons, so the eggs were taken out of her enclosure shortly after they were laid so I could maintain the correct temps.

Smile

In short, she doesn't even know they are here.
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Sep 2010, 3:49 pm

Boston: Must have missed your comment. Thank you! I think they are beautiful animals.

Bullet: I think so! They are about 4 inches long and little noodles.

I'm surprised that nobody has remarked on the difference between the babies and the adults. ;)
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Sep 2010, 5:49 pm

HoodieCrow wrote:
Boston: Must have missed your comment. Thank you! I think they are beautiful animals.

I'm surprised that nobody has remarked on the difference between the babies and the adults. ;)

I noticed the difference in the colouring but didn't say anything. Why is there a difference?
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Sep 2010, 6:26 pm

I also noticed,but assumed that the babies would go that colour as they
matured
Back to top Go down
Unhingedmom
Warmed up
Warmed up

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Sep 2010, 8:11 pm

I'm such a hick, I didn't notice. Was too busy looking at the egg and saying "Oh COOL!!!!"

Did you say something about video?
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 24 Sep 2010, 9:33 pm

HoodieCrow wrote:

Beautiful snakes. Every time I come on here, I'm at work and the pictures are blocked from the network. Why is the colouring different between the babies and adults?
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Sep 2010, 8:55 pm

Black Milksnakes go through an ontogentetic colour change. They start out with the banding typical of most species of Milksnake. It's a theorized that the red, black and white bands deter predators because of their similarity to some venomous snakes (like corals).

Each shed the babies go through, brings them closer to black. By the time they reach the two-year mark (give or take) they are virtually solid black. Some retain faint markings, especially around the face.

Because Black Milks live in the higher altitudes of Costa Rica and Panama, their dark colour helps attract the sun and it is easier for them to retain heat.
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Sep 2010, 9:00 pm

Ok, final tally is 9 healthy babies, one dud egg. Smile

I think I have 3 males, 6 females, but I'll sex them again after they shed out.

Here are some individual pics:

Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 0PEKA012010F
Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 0PEKA022010F
Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 0PEKA042010F
Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 0PEKA032010M
Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 0PEKA052010F
Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 0PEKA062010M
Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 0PEKA072010F
(My favorite. She had just tipped her water dish)
Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 0PEKA082010F
Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 0PEKA092010M
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Sep 2010, 9:13 pm

Those are awesome pics Hoodie
Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Sep 2010, 9:37 pm

cool

what do you feed the babies?

Assuming the adults eat mice and stuff...
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 27 Sep 2010, 11:14 pm

mcpug wrote:
cool

Babies will be fed mouse pinks (newborn mice), my adults are on small rats. All frozen/thawed prey.
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Sep 2010, 10:47 am

Thanks Yorkie. Glad you enjoyed them!
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Sep 2010, 10:59 am

I like snakes,well some of them
Back to top Go down
ivegotfleas1
Admin
Admin
ivegotfleas1

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Sep 2010, 11:14 am

I didn't realize you were a snakelady either.

Junior would love it at your house, shes a big fan of snakes.

Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 IMGP0211-1

Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 100_3159600x450
Back to top Go down
http://wgaf.smfforfree3.com/index.php
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Sep 2010, 12:11 pm

ivegotfleas1 wrote:
I didn't realize you were a snakelady either.

Junior would love it at your house, shes a big fan of snakes.

Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 IMGP0211-1

Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 100_3159600x450

The next generation of snake lovers. Smile

Great pics! Looks like a Yellow Anaconda and a Burmese Python?
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Sep 2010, 6:40 pm

Fleas, I think little fleas wants a pet snake. <<hint, hint>>

Hoodie, Those are really good pics, you can see the details of the baby snakes. I have pic I think somewhere on my FB of my kids holding an albino python at the Colassantis (sp?). They really want a pet snake, unfortunately my fear of rodents won't go over well (even if they are dead) as feed.

Now my million questions. How can you tell the males from the females? Which sex is easier to own, are the females easier as pets than the males or vice versa? What do you look for in good potential owners of snakes when rehoming the babies?
Back to top Go down
Unhingedmom
Warmed up
Warmed up

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Sep 2010, 8:34 pm

HoodieCrow wrote:
mcpug wrote:
cool

Babies will be fed mouse pinks (newborn mice), my adults are on small rats. All frozen/thawed prey.

Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 Rat1-1

*I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening*

I know..... fact of life, but.......

*I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening*........

Btw Fleas, my junior met the same snake your junior met:

Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 Snake
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Sep 2010, 10:10 pm

BigBrownEyes29 wrote:
Fleas, I think little fleas wants a pet snake. <>

Hoodie, Those are really good pics, you can see the details of the baby snakes. I have pic I think somewhere on my FB of my kids holding an albino python at the Colassantis (sp?). They really want a pet snake, unfortunately my fear of rodents won't go over well (even if they are dead) as feed.

Now my million questions. How can you tell the males from the females? Which sex is easier to own, are the females easier as pets than the males or vice versa? What do you look for in good potential owners of snakes when rehoming the babies?

Yes, feeding can be an issue for a lot of would-be reptile owners.

Sexing at this point can be done by a method called "popping", which is to apply a firm, gentle pressure on the base of the tail toward the cloaca. In males, the hemipenes will "pop" out and become apparent. In females, nothing will happen. As they get older, popping becomes obsolete and "probing" can be used instead. Instruments with rounded tips are inserted gently into the cloaca. Males will probe more sub-caudal scales than females, as a rule. I've never probed my animals myself, I don't feel comfortable doing it. A third method can be used with boids (pythons and boas) in which a firm pressure with the thumb from the cloaca toward the tail will yield two little bumps to the touch or not. Bumps = male.

I find very little difference as far as temperament regarding sex in snakes. It seems to be on an individual to individual basis. In some species, males tend to stay a smaller size, which is desireable to a lot of people.

I let my babies go to homes that are either knowledgeable about the husbandry of the species they are interested in already, or those who are willing to learn/ask the right questions. The nice thing about the species I work with, is that many of the people who would be interested, aren't fly-by-nighters. (Your Burmese, Ball and Reticulated Pythons, Boa Constrictors and Cornsnakes often fall into that category, sadly.) They're typically people who are into snakes already.
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Sep 2010, 10:17 pm

UnhingedMom wrote:
HoodieCrow wrote:
mcpug wrote:
cool

Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 Rat1-1

*I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening*

I know..... fact of life, but.......

*I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening* *I'mnotlistening*........

I completely understand where you're coming from. As someone who kept pet Rats for YEARS, (even doing rescue), and loved them to the ends of the earth, it was hard at first for me to reconcile my love of Rats and love of the Snakes that had to consume them.
After I really looked at the bare bones of it all, I made my peace. Rather like my love of Chickens, and my love of chicken sandwiches. Razz

Your girls are adorable, by the way! I love Blues. I wish I had the heart to have pet Rats again, but I can't bear their short lifespans and health issues. : (
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 28 Sep 2010, 10:18 pm

Fed the little ones their first meals this evening. Fingers crossed that everyone eats! I'll check in the morning.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep 2010, 10:29 am

Beautiful snakes! Smile
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep 2010, 11:01 am

Will they all just eat one? or how does that work,you will have to share pics of these
guys for a long time

How old would a snake baby be before it left its mom and went to new homes?
Back to top Go down
ivegotfleas1
Admin
Admin
ivegotfleas1

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep 2010, 12:16 pm

HoodieCrow wrote:

The next generation of snake lovers. Smile

I think it was the same snake in both pics, but can't be sure since it was different years. I do know that it was a reticulating python if that means anything. I'm so pet stupid, lol.

Dare I ask what a pet snake would cost? She has been on me for a pet for months.
Back to top Go down
http://wgaf.smfforfree3.com/index.php
Unhingedmom
Warmed up
Warmed up

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 29 Sep 2010, 12:31 pm

ivegotfleas1 wrote:
HoodieCrow wrote:

The next generation of snake lovers. Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 177108

I think it was the same snake in both pics, but can't be sure since it was different years. I do know that it was a reticulating python if that means anything. I'm so pet stupid, lol.

Dare I ask what a pet snake would cost? She has been on me for a pet for months.

Greyhounds are nice pets.

Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 294427
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Peekaboo!!!   Peekaboo!!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Peekaboo!!!
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next