Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Shelters, rescues and pounds ... Oh my

Go down 
AuthorMessage
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Shelters, rescues and pounds ... Oh my   Sun 18 Jul 2010, 4:07 pm

Ok, yes, I was reading a long heated debate thread on the dark side. Someone mentioned that shelters and rescues keep dogs kenneled all day. That was mind boggling to me :lol:, as there is a big difference between shelters and rescues and dog pounds.

I though it would be neat to post this topic here and get everyone's opinion as to what they think the differences are.

Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

PostSubject: Re: Shelters, rescues and pounds ... Oh my   Sun 18 Jul 2010, 4:19 pm

I just posted this on kijiji

GOD that lookn is one crumbled cookie lol

I will re post to save my fingers

Pounds and shelters are 2 different things

The HS is a shelter, they take stray dogs, owner surrenders and usually are pretty diligent about screening homes and providing proper vet care. Adoptions fees vary from 100 to 300 (depending on age, and location of the shelter). Shelters are usually run by private donations although some city pounds are pretty good at screening homes and providing vet care so I would put them in the "shelter" category. Our local animal care and control used to be a 7 day pound type facility but has recently changed and now they provide routine vet care and have adoption counselors to screen homes.

Pounds or "animal care and control" are places where usually hired city workers collect stray dogs for the city. The dogs are provided no vet care, usually PTS in 7 days if not adopted and adoptions are not screened, the pound here charges 25 bucks to take a dog. There is a town about 20 minutes from the city I live in and they have an awful dog pound, the dogs are kept in a shed like building with no temperature control, NO vet care is provided and even if an animal is suffering they will not PTS until the 7 days are up. They also sell to research. The last dog our rescue pulled from this particular pound had a severely damaged eye and was in great pain although the city run pound did NOTHING for him but leave him in an outdoor pen exposed to the elements in the dead of winter. You also often don't see animals from pounds advertised in anyway (using petfinder for example).

Most people who are active in rescue know the difference and there is a big difference.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Shelters, rescues and pounds ... Oh my   Sun 18 Jul 2010, 4:30 pm

:lol: I read your response McPug. You hit the nail on the head.

I told you who lookn is, it's Speed / Cam and whatever other name she went by. She was turned down because every dog trainer, rescue, and shelter in my area knows her by name and what she's about.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Shelters, rescues and pounds ... Oh my   Sun 18 Jul 2010, 4:49 pm

The humane society has a policy that they don't put down dogs unless they are very ill or display severe aggression. Their policy on cats is different, only because they are so over flooded with cats, there just isn't the room for them and not a lot of people are adopting them. They come already spayed / neutered and with vet care. Their adoption fee is anywhere from $125 to $300 depending on the age of the pet. From the rescue dog of the day section, you can see that the shelter advertises their adoptions. The dogs here get walked once a day and get outside kennel time for an hour, and are thoroughly temperament tested for safety.

The local dog pound only keeps dogs for 7 days. They have recently started working with rescues to put these dogs in foster care, but when a rescue cannot take them in within the 7 day limit, they are pts. They also come with no vet care and can be adopted for $15. The adoption fee may have changed since 3 years ago, but not by much if it has. No website, do not advertising. The dogs here get some outside kenneled time, but are not walked, and their temperament testing is very limited. Sometimes it takes the lady at the kennel to get bit once or twice to find out the dog needs to be pts, may not be safe to adopt out.

Rescues take in animals to be fostered in people's homes, they become a part of the family and even get to join in family activities. They get walked more than once day for an hour. They are not kept kenneled and only crated depending on the issue the dog has and for the dog's safety when not supervised (as the dog may be new to the household). They get more training than the other two because they get to experience real life situations and how to properly respond to them.
Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

PostSubject: Re: Shelters, rescues and pounds ... Oh my   Sun 18 Jul 2010, 5:13 pm

I thought the typing sounded like hers......

But she didn't mention police training yet (maybe she is getting a little smarter with her age lol)

Obviously getting sick of eatamouse's chat.... or maybe they kicked her out too

:roll:
Back to top Go down
Boston
Warmed up
Warmed up
Boston

PostSubject: Re: Shelters, rescues and pounds ... Oh my   Sun 18 Jul 2010, 6:39 pm

Damnit I went over there and was sucked into posting. Someone please tie my hands together behind my back.

We accept the love we think we deserve.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Shelters, rescues and pounds ... Oh my   Sun 18 Jul 2010, 7:01 pm

I WILL NOT GO OVER THERE... LMAO..

However, I belive mcpug said it best...

LMAO
Back to top Go down
http://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shelters, rescues and pounds ... Oh my   

Back to top Go down

Shelters, rescues and pounds ... Oh my
Page 1 of 1