Yorkie's Place
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Uh Oh ~ Diabetes

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

Uh Oh ~ Diabetes Empty
PostSubject: Uh Oh ~ Diabetes   Uh Oh ~ Diabetes Icon_minitimeSat 17 Jul 2010, 11:51 pm

So all of my posts about the hubby refusing to take care of himself with diet and exercise has reared it's ugly head and now forcing better habits on him. It is hard for me to understand that he really has no idea about proper regime with diet and exercise still after ignoring me for over 3 decades...picked up nothing...obviously not much of a good nagger.

Has had high blood pressure for about 5 years and took pills to regulate that problem but diabetes is different. Went to his doc after full annual blood work and came home to announce he now has type 2 diabetes...he had all the symptoms for a t least 3 months, but he didn't believe me when I diagnosed him. He's lucky sort of that I am his partner because I know the fat content, calories, salt levels, nutritional value, portions and food values of most everything off by heart. Now he's finally listening, which is great. I want him to be around a long time. cheers
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

Uh Oh ~ Diabetes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uh Oh ~ Diabetes   Uh Oh ~ Diabetes Icon_minitimeSat 17 Jul 2010, 11:57 pm

can he control it with diet pooper or will he need insulin? Sorry to hear because it is a pesky disease.My husband was diabetic and I did his shots minimum twice a day
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

Uh Oh ~ Diabetes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uh Oh ~ Diabetes   Uh Oh ~ Diabetes Icon_minitimeSun 18 Jul 2010, 1:04 am

It's only been a few days and frankly I have zero experience with the disease, at present he is using medication and not yet insulin dependant, it's type 2 so can be regulated hopefully with diet and exercise. He's always had atrocious eating habits and isn't one to actually purposefully exercise. What worries me is that even people like me can suddenly die as he constantly reminds me (marathon runners and such)so I can't be self righteous but I have had a bevy of complicated thoughts about the future and my animals. affraid
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

Uh Oh ~ Diabetes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uh Oh ~ Diabetes   Uh Oh ~ Diabetes Icon_minitimeSun 18 Jul 2010, 1:07 am

Sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis. Even though we know what the right thing to do it, it's easier said than doing it. He's listening to you now and hopefully will not need insulin injections.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

Uh Oh ~ Diabetes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uh Oh ~ Diabetes   Uh Oh ~ Diabetes Icon_minitimeSun 18 Jul 2010, 9:50 am

losing weight will certainly help,also eating several small meals a day as opposed to a couple of big ones. Sugar in any form is is enemy any ingredient that ends in TOSE as lactose fructose is sugar in disgluise
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

Uh Oh ~ Diabetes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uh Oh ~ Diabetes   Uh Oh ~ Diabetes Icon_minitimeThu 22 Jul 2010, 12:10 am

This is going well for hubby, the new diet, but I have come to the realization that "I" need food. His blood glucose has come way down from 22 to the lower ranges and that's good. I have been cooking him the diabetic based meals and as I said it works well for him but not for me. I had been trying to eat what he does but the meal portions are way too small for me and I am abandoning the support idea. Back to my regular eating schedule or I'll end up 80 pounds. I need food...lots of it!!! Smile Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
RedyreRotties
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
RedyreRotties

Uh Oh ~ Diabetes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uh Oh ~ Diabetes   Uh Oh ~ Diabetes Icon_minitimeThu 22 Jul 2010, 8:22 am

Wishing you all the luck in helping him get on a regimen and stay there.

I watched my FIL die of diabetes related illnesses, and it is not pretty. He was cavalier about taking care of his diet and blood sugar.

He had a serious heart attack in 2007. Recovered from open heart surgery and gall bladder removal. Endured the death, and subsequent amputation of both his lower legs.

He continued to be careless about watching his blood sugar, and his diet. His next event was a lack of blood flow to his intestinal tract, and he died from it. It was very ugly.

I miss him every day, and wish I could have helped him more.

Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.redyre.com
Sponsored content

Uh Oh ~ Diabetes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Uh Oh ~ Diabetes   Uh Oh ~ Diabetes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Uh Oh ~ Diabetes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Yorkie's Place :: Health and Wellness-
Jump to: