Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Keep Your Cats INSIDE

Go down 
AuthorMessage
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Keep Your Cats INSIDE   Sat 10 Jul 2010, 11:22 am

Dear neighbour,

If you kept your cat indoors, it would not have been run down on Thursday by a car that couldn't see him in the rain. He would not have lain there in the road with a broken back, still alive, terrified and in agony until we moved him to our porch, crying out, to get him the help he needed.

The Humane Society would not have had to take him in to be humanely euthanized to end his terrible suffering.

The man who hit him would not have had to endure the guilt, upset and shock that came when he realized what had happened, stating that he "had two (cats) at home" and didn't see him, and had NEVER hit an animal, and couldn't believe it. He wouldn't have had to stare on white-faced as your cat was dying in our arms, or go knocking at your door to no avail since you weren't home.

Even though you had been told in the past that your cat had some near misses with vehicles, you couldn't be bothered with him. "He has fleas", you said... well, most outdoor animals tend to. Easily remedied with a vet- visit. A small price to pay, really.

If you had kept your cat inside, he'd be likely curled up on some piece of furniture, warm and content, never knowing dehydration, bitter cold, pain or fear instead of being erased from existence in a few horrible minutes, away from you and perishing in a stranger's arms.

This is one of the MANY reasons (shall I list them all??) that keeping your cat indoors is the responsible thing to do. I don't want to see needless loss of life like this anymore... it happens ALL OF THE TIME.

Don't think that because you live in a residential area with low traffic volume your pet is safe. The only reasonably safe place for your cat is inside your home.
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Keep Your Cats INSIDE   Sat 10 Jul 2010, 12:49 pm

I am sorry you had to witness that.... It pains me to even read it. The really sad thing is, they will likely get an other cat to replace that one..which will also end up hit.

Learning the Ropes
GypsyJazmine

PostSubject: Re: Keep Your Cats INSIDE   Sat 10 Jul 2010, 1:16 pm

That is so sad...All of my cats are strictly indoors...It would make me too worried to let them out to fend for themselves!
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: Keep Your Cats INSIDE   Sun 11 Jul 2010, 2:56 pm

kbullet wrote:
I am sorry you had to witness that.... It pains me to even read it. The really sad thing is, they will likely get an other cat to replace that one..which will also end up hit.

I'm anticipating this. Sad
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: Keep Your Cats INSIDE   Sun 11 Jul 2010, 2:57 pm

GypsyJazmine wrote:
That is so sad...All of my cats are strictly indoors...It would make me too worried to let them out to fend for themselves!

My two are indoor cats as well, for a wealth of reasons.

I can't, for the life of me, understand the double standard regarding dogs at large vs cats...
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keep Your Cats INSIDE   Tue 13 Jul 2010, 1:37 am

hmmmm I have outside kitties... They keep the mice out of the barns... I have lost a few.. none on the road. But so far.. knock on wood.. nothing in a little while. I call them with their treat bag nightly....
Back to top Go down
http://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: Keep Your Cats INSIDE   Tue 13 Jul 2010, 9:07 am

Mini wrote:
hmmmm I have outside kitties... They keep the mice out of the barns... I have lost a few.. none on the road. But so far.. knock on wood.. nothing in a little while. I call them with their treat bag nightly....

I know that outdoor/barn cats are common in the farming world. I still don't agree with it under any circumstances (and not just regarding the safety of the cats themselves), but I do understand why the farming community feels that they have to do this.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Keep Your Cats INSIDE   Tue 13 Jul 2010, 10:03 am

We always had outside cats when I lived on the acreage,someone needed to keep the mice down

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Keep Your Cats INSIDE   Tue 13 Jul 2010, 11:30 am

The problem rodents cause if you don't have cats far outways keeping cats inside.

My cube bags are worth 60bucks or so a bag. Hold 500 pounds in cubes. Mice and other rodents love to chew them. They chew feed bags causing the feed to spoil. They chew bale twine- cause bales to break apart and more havioc. That is just damage.

But mice can kill you. You may laugh. Our area is very well known for Deer Mice. Deer mice for the most part carry hanta virus. Which is shed in their feces. Mice love to make their homes in buildings and barns. All a person does is have to breath in the dust of mice feses. or get bit by a mouse. Young kids have to touch the feces on their toys. Then as we know kids stick their fingers in their mouths. Yes you can die from hanta virus. All the mice my cats bring home. Our Deer mice. Since I have cats.. it is rarely that I see a mouse in my barns or buildings.

Now with that said. I don't agree with just letting your cats out. Mine are all fixed and have their shots yearly. THey also have automatic feeders. They have bedrooms.. A hay loft where they keep warm..

I do understand how most people feel. But most of your unwanted cat population gets dumped out here. Most of these barn cats wouldve of been put down because of overpopulation. If there were laws against outside cats. Imagine the numbers. Just my 2 cents
Back to top Go down
http://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
Mousey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Mousey

PostSubject: Re: Keep Your Cats INSIDE   Tue 13 Jul 2010, 11:48 am

Crying or Very sad I accidently hit my uncles cat when I was a teen. I had no idea what to do (it was still alive) when a neighbor came out to see what was going on he mentioned it was my uncles and scooped the cat up in a bag and brought him to my uncles house Shocked I have one outdoors cat and no matter how hard I try to keep him indoors he escapes. Sorry but he likes to go outside and no matter how much we try he will get out.
Back to top Go down
GypsyJazmine
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
GypsyJazmine

PostSubject: Re: Keep Your Cats INSIDE   Tue 13 Jul 2010, 11:51 am

We have an occasional cat take up residency in our barn but my dogs always run them off. Sad
Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: Keep Your Cats INSIDE   Tue 13 Jul 2010, 8:36 pm

Mini wrote:

I do understand how most people feel. But most of your unwanted cat population gets dumped out here. Most of these barn cats wouldve of been put down because of overpopulation. If there were laws against outside cats. Imagine the numbers. Just my 2 cents

Again, I understand. The barn where we keep our horses has the same problem. They try and keep up with fixing and vaccinations, but the cats get dumped and reproduce faster than they can afford to remedy the situation.

Honestly, and this is going to sound callous, I'd much rather see feral cats put to sleep humanely than see them slowly die of disease, get hit by vehicles, or suffer one of the many other fates that await them. I realize this isn't a popular opinion, but it's one I stand by.
I love cats, but overpopulation is a HUGE problem, and it began with people allowing their unaltered cats to roam loose.

Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: Keep Your Cats INSIDE   Tue 13 Jul 2010, 8:37 pm

Mousey wrote:
Crying or Very sad I accidently hit my uncles cat when I was a teen. I had no idea what to do (it was still alive) when a neighbor came out to see what was going on he mentioned it was my uncles and scooped the cat up in a bag and brought him to my uncles house Shocked I have one outdoors cat and no matter how hard I try to keep him indoors he escapes. Sorry but he likes to go outside and no matter how much we try he will get out.

That must have been awful for you. Sad I'm sorry.
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Keep Your Cats INSIDE   Wed 14 Jul 2010, 1:14 am

Mini wrote:
The problem rodents cause if you don't have cats far outways keeping cats inside.

My cube bags are worth 60bucks or so a bag. Hold 500 pounds in cubes. Mice and other rodents love to chew them. They chew feed bags causing the feed to spoil. They chew bale twine- cause bales to break apart and more havioc. That is just damage.

But mice can kill you. You may laugh. Our area is very well known for Deer Mice. Deer mice for the most part carry hanta virus. Which is shed in their feces. Mice love to make their homes in buildings and barns. All a person does is have to breath in the dust of mice feses. or get bit by a mouse. Young kids have to touch the feces on their toys. Then as we know kids stick their fingers in their mouths. Yes you can die from hanta virus. All the mice my cats bring home. Our Deer mice. Since I have cats.. it is rarely that I see a mouse in my barns or buildings.

Now with that said. I don't agree with just letting your cats out. Mine are all fixed and have their shots yearly. THey also have automatic feeders. They have bedrooms.. A hay loft where they keep warm..

This is the page I am on also. The cats we have been through (and seriously hundreds including kittens over the years) have never been "our Cats". Feral cats can't be kept indoors...it's impossible, even the most mild mannered of them at some point are prone to serious house damage, being mostly window screens and curtains to get out, and get out they do. Here also we fix/vaccinate every cat we can catch or we would once again be overrun with cats. The barn cats often get killed by predators and frankly that pisses me off after spending a small fortune of sneutering them but IMO tis a no win situation for me nor the dam cats. Could put a bullet in them but personally I don't feel that is the right thing to do. May sound harsh but everything has some type of fate and everything dies...it's rather up to the cats to do what comes naturally to them which is rodent control. We have cats that are smart and have been with us for 5-7 years so far and have survived very well, some others have not. They get fed daily and get love and attention... these cats are certainly not ones we wanted but they ended up here so we do the best we can with them and it's up to them if the survive or not. I have a love hate relationship with cats, the few we have actually wanted were kept indoors and wanted to be inside were missed when their lifespan expired...average 17 years. We will never get another indoor cat, all of our existing felines have different needs, they are housed in the shop or the barn, well taken care of but if they meet their demise that's up to them and their instincts to survive or not. Pretty much bottom line and that's the way it is.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Keep Your Cats INSIDE   Wed 14 Jul 2010, 10:53 am

While I understand where Hoodie is coming from, in a way I feel the same way, all my cats have been indoor ones with the exception of one currently. It's not easy for me to do. When I caught Miss Kitty and her kittens, they are all semi-feral. Miss Kitty is too aggressive to my senior cat to be kept indoors, and some what aggressive to my dog. She's semi-feral and is the only cat of mine that I keep outdoors with a nice warm, comfy place to sleep under the enclosed porch. She has plenty of safety spots to run too to keep away from the coyotes, she keeps the other stray cats, and keeps the rats that come from both of my next door neighbours off my property. She's utd on vaccs and spayed (spayed with other kittens aborted - long story). Also doesn't appear in the 2 years that I've had her to go near the road, or lounge around on my neighbours property and be a pest to them.

When I couldn't rehome her three kittens because they were not tame enough for people to want to adopt, but ok with my kids and I handling them, I made the decision to keep them but make them indoor cats. Rather than a one way trip to the vets office. They are the dirtiest and most destructive 3 pets that I have ever owned. Though I'm very attached to them, they have turned me off from wanting to ever own any more cats. Keeping ferals as indoor pets like Pooper stated is not a good idea.

The people of this poor

Back to top Go down
HoodieCrow
Warmed up
Warmed up
HoodieCrow

PostSubject: Re: Keep Your Cats INSIDE   Wed 14 Jul 2010, 1:52 pm

I agree that feral cats rarely make good indoor 'pets', and I respect those of you who are trying to do what you feel is the right thing.

I still, to my core, think it's wrong to allow cats the freedom to impact our native wildlife and become a nuisance or destructive to the properties of other people.

I don't judge those who feel differently. I just can't see how it's fair, ecologically, to allow this to go on, nor how it is fair to have a double standard for cats vs dogs at large.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keep Your Cats INSIDE   

Back to top Go down

Keep Your Cats INSIDE
Page 1 of 1