Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Minimum Wage discussion / debate

Go down 
AuthorMessage
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Minimum Wage discussion / debate   Fri 09 Jul 2010, 10:21 am

On the other forum there is a debate / discussion going on, on whether or not minimum wage $10.25 an hour is too much money for a high school student working in a fast food establishment in Ontario.

My question is, do you think it's too much money for a high school student working in a fast food establishment and your reason why?

I'll share my views later.
Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Wage discussion / debate   Fri 09 Jul 2010, 11:05 am

I don't think its too much money for minimum wage. My reason being not everyone that is making that much is a high school student, and adults cannot support much on that much money.

Students shouldn't be working full time anyway so they won't make that much in a week either way.

Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Wage discussion / debate   Fri 09 Jul 2010, 11:34 am

I don't think it's too much either. The reasoning on the other forum was that it will help keep the cost of living low. My reasoning is the government is going to want a raise to be able to afford their $5 million dollar home, probably another $5 million dollar home, private jet, fancy vacations and designer clothes. So the cost of living is going to go up so that they can afford these things, whether the rate for minimum wage is increased or not. There are some kids at 14 years of age whose parents make them buy their own necessities (ie. clothing, and not the designer labels, shampoo, soap, deodorant, tooth paste, tooth brushes). This would help them provide for their own necessities, plus save up for post secondary education.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Wage discussion / debate   Fri 09 Jul 2010, 1:59 pm

It is not that high here,but the cost of living is also much cheaper,I think the high school students work as hard as an adult and see no reason why they should not be paid the same

Admin
ivegotfleas1

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Wage discussion / debate   Fri 09 Jul 2010, 2:00 pm

My sister has been at her job for like 12 years and she's just now making over min. wage. The only reason she is, is because they raised it. Unionized too, :lol: .

Back to top Go down
http://wgaf.smfforfree3.com/index.php
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Wage discussion / debate   Fri 09 Jul 2010, 7:19 pm

As an employer a lot of people don't realize all the extra cost there are besides just wadges.

We have 4 part time employees right now, and pay about 2,500 worth or wadges per month.

On top of that I pay about 300 in to the government for CPP, EI, taxes on wadges ect. (employers have to match 50% of your CPP and pay it out of their own pocket)

Plus WSIB which for me is 3.5 % of all wadges paid every 3 months, so usually 300 to 400, or 75 to 100 per month.

On top of that 4% vacation pay.......

So for every 500 I pay an employee I am paying about an extra 60 some odd dollars out of my pocket just to be able to pay them that, and if I give them a raise that means I have to pay more on top of that.

When you are not a large company that extra money adds up quickly.......

Sometimes I feel like I work for less then minimum wage while my employees make more then me and complain to me about it lol.

Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Wage discussion / debate   Sat 10 Jul 2010, 12:27 am

It is interesting to see it from an employers point of view,I know I really never gave it any thought

Warmed up
mcpug

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Wage discussion / debate   Sat 10 Jul 2010, 10:11 am

yorkiemom wrote:
It is interesting to see it from an employers point of view,I know I really never gave it any thought

Really its crazy....

And add taxes on top of that, gez I had to re mortgage my house to pay my personal taxes this year lol. It was an outrageous amount, and because I own my own company I have to pay DOUBLE the CPP, I think I paid close to 5 grand in CPP alone.........Small business was supposed to get these huge tax breaks YEA RIGHT.

Now with the HST I will be paying more taxes despite what the government says about it being good for companies, its not. I am trying to compete in an industry where there are so many who do things under the table, they have no insurance, no WSIB, they don't charge or pay taxes and they only accept cash.

So their prices are cheaper, but customers think that I pocket all the extra money I charge to pay the government LOL...... I WISH. Cause if I did I would be very wealthy.

And they wonder why small businesses have trouble.

Anyways that's my rant about the government.

ETA scratch the 5 grand I was 7,500 for CPP last year LMAO...... I must be dreaming.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Wage discussion / debate   Sat 10 Jul 2010, 10:36 am

yorkiemom wrote:

It is, I never really gave that any thought either.

Don't get me started on the HST. :lol:
Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Wage discussion / debate   Sat 10 Jul 2010, 11:25 am

too late lol

The thing about HST (for service based businesses) is they say that the bonus is you can write off whatever HST you spend on goods to use for your business............

I could do that with GST too........

and I never came out on top, If I am spending all the money I am making on supplies for the company (so I can write off the HST) then I have no money for personal taxes, wadges, insurance or WSIB (none of which you can write off for HST purposes)

So to break even I would have to spend every single nickle profit on supplies for the company and catalog each receipt..... and even then I could not have employees because I can't write off the HST for their wadges or the business they generate.

Plus I have to pass the extra 8% along to my customers (who already pay at the top of the price range), we have already had 1 customer leave due to the rise in prices.

So its more bullshit, more collections, more receipts kept, more paperwork, and if the government thinks that the public is just going to eat the entire HST form a service provider without the business seeing any drop it revenue they are 100% wrong.

i will be paying more taxes then I was last year with less profit for me then last year..........

Pretty much my cost of business just went up lol

GREAT where is the party

Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Wage discussion / debate   Tue 13 Jul 2010, 12:25 pm

Great information.

I see no problem raising minimum wage.

However, my question are.. What happens to the people who have climbed the wage ladder through hard work and raises. Do they get the increase as well.. Or do they still make the same amount of money they did before. I think it would only be fair if minimum wage is increased.. their levels should be increases as well. I do understand this will cause employers more grief
Back to top Go down
http://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
dr_strange
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
dr_strange

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Wage discussion / debate   Wed 14 Jul 2010, 7:32 am

Raising minimum wage, raises manufacturing costs, and that in turn creates inflation. Giving a minimum wage increase is going to hurt people working at minimum wage, as the prices rise the standard of living goes down. Most middle class peeps usually make between $15-$22 per hour this is going to hurt them too.

Manufacturers/retailers and other businesses will be paying more in "minimum" wages, which means they can ask for more out of their workers, they will need to charge more for their products as the cost of goods goes up.

Suddenly employers would rather train some yokel off the street to do highly technical jobs than to pay a college or university student who's going to want more than minimum wage to start. And why not? It's costing them more for unskilled labour and educated people are going to want more than minimum wage.

I can see this being a really bad thing in the long run.

Also take a look at the job bank at college required level entry jobs, like exec assistant, accounts clerk, and management, and look at the duties. Employers want more because they are paying more.

Welcome to Canada, where the educated are serfs working at Tim Hortons.

I mean if there's more competition for shitty jobs, you are going to need a phd in engineering to clean toilets.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Wage discussion / debate   Wed 14 Jul 2010, 4:54 pm

Everyone has brought up some really good points and information on this subject.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Minimum Wage discussion / debate   

Back to top Go down

Minimum Wage discussion / debate
Page 1 of 1