Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Lakeshore Dog Pound

Go down 
AuthorMessage
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Lakeshore Dog Pound   Sun 20 Jun 2010, 2:27 pm

FYI -- Just wanted to remind those who live in the Windsor / Essex County area, that if you are looking to add another fur member to your family or if you know of someone who is, please check out the Lakeshore Dog Pound first. Not to take away from the city Humane Society, but these guys at the pound are only on a 7 day time frame (sometimes kept a little longer depending on shelter space) whereas at the HS, the dogs there are not on a time limit. Even if you live in the Chatham / Kent county area or London area, take a drive out one summer to see them.

I was there the other day. They had a beautiful what looked to be a purebred female GSD. I thought at first she was shy, but after sticking my hand in the kennel to touch one of her paws (with the permission of the kennel staff there), noticed it was more stress from all the dogs barking in their kennels and being in a strange place. I wanted to take her home and if I had the room, I would have applied to adopt her. Note: Not sure if the procedures there have changed, but a few years ago they adoption fee was $15 to adopt a dog, and you were put on a heavily enforced spay / neuter contract as I think they only give the rabies vacc there. They also have a fawn coloured Pug, it looks like one of his eyes was removed not sure of the reason why though. He's a little on the cranky side :lol:, he growled and barked at me, but it could be more from kennel life and that he appears to be a little older dog. There was also a black Shih Tzu mix with the energy of a JRT. So if you're looking for a good agility and rally-o dog, or even just a walking buddy (Lord knows he has the energy to do long walks) this little guy would be perfect in your home. They also had about 4 to 5 Beagles, a couple Malamute mixes but the dominant breed looked Malamute, a GSD / Lab mix, a little mixed dog about the size of a Basenji, and a young black lab.

Even if you know of a rescue who can pull them out and find someone to foster. They do try to get these dogs into a rescue when their time is up, but if they can't find any rescues to take them in due to not enough foster homes, then they have no other choice then to pts.
Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

PostSubject: Re: Lakeshore Dog Pound   Mon 21 Jun 2010, 9:22 pm

Sorry I missed this.

If the pug is still there I can get him/her out for sure.

PM me or email me if you have any more information.
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Lakeshore Dog Pound   Mon 21 Jun 2010, 11:49 pm

McPug, I just pm'd you the info.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Lakeshore Dog Pound   Mon 21 Jun 2010, 11:54 pm

Sadly our humane society here is looking for a home for 15 little dogs from a puppy mill,about 3 months ago they took 150 chihauhaus from a woman and managed to place them all

Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Lakeshore Dog Pound   Tue 22 Jun 2010, 12:08 am

yorkiemom wrote:
Sadly our humane society here is looking for a home for 15 little dogs from a puppy mill,about 3 months ago they took 150 chihauhaus from a woman and managed to place them all

I've noticed on petfinder in my area, you don't see a lot of Chihuahuas. The Humane Society which is about a 20 to 25 minute drive from the county dog pound, doesn't put dogs to sleep unless they are deemed unsafe for adoption or if they are very ill with no chance of surviving their illness. The dogs there have a much better chance of getting adopted. The ones at the dog pound are on a 7 day limit, unless a rescue steps in to pull them out or someone looking to adopt thinks to stop by there. The Humane Society is located on a busy street in the city where people drive by a lot, so they are more noticeable. The Lakeshore dog pound is located on some concession out in the middle of nowhere, the building is hidden behind some trees and and tall weeds, and is located next to the county dump. Crying or Very sad So it's very easy for people to miss. I see a lot of different breeds that I would like to one day own up for adoption at shelters in the U.S. Example: An English Bulldog is a lot easier to find and adopt in a shelter in the U.S., you would be lucky if you found even a mix of one in any shelter in Canada.
Back to top Go down
yorkiemom

PostSubject: Re: Lakeshore Dog Pound   Tue 22 Jun 2010, 12:25 am

i know what you are saying,here it is so many little dogs,often yorkies and it just kills me to leave them there

Warmed up
mcpug

PostSubject: Re: Lakeshore Dog Pound   Tue 22 Jun 2010, 11:32 am

We are having the same problem with pugs.

I just got an email this morning from the St Thomas city pound there is a little pug mix there.
Sadly this pound sells to research so I am going to see about springing this little one.
If anyone knows anyone who may be interested let me know, jugs and puggles are notoriously bad to find homes for there are just too many of them.

ETA there is also a little shitzu (sp lol) looks really desperate yet friendly, it says he is in desperate need for grooming......... the pull fee for this pound is 20 dollars but they provide NO vet care and the dogs are kept in a shed like building so they are exposed to the elements its really awful.
Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

PostSubject: Re: Lakeshore Dog Pound   Tue 22 Jun 2010, 12:29 pm

Pugalug pug rescue is taking the pug from lakeshore
Back to top Go down
pooperscooper
Admin
Admin
pooperscooper

PostSubject: Re: Lakeshore Dog Pound   Tue 22 Jun 2010, 12:34 pm

Here in Alberta, in the Edmonton area, a private rescue flies 200 chi and chi mixes from puppy mills up from California about every month or so and rehomes them. A few of my friends have adopted some but they all had kennel cough and had to be treated. Nasty thing was they had other dogs and they caught the cough also. $250.00 adoption fee and a they all came sneutered and with shots, unfortunately not treated for kennel cough which is dumb being it's so cheap and easy to do. :cyclops: :cyclops: :cyclops:
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Lakeshore Dog Pound   Tue 22 Jun 2010, 1:54 pm

mcpug wrote:
Pugalug pug rescue is taking the pug from lakeshore

That's awesome news!

Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Lakeshore Dog Pound   Tue 22 Jun 2010, 1:54 pm

pooperscooper wrote:
Here in Alberta, in the Edmonton area, a private rescue flies 200 chi and chi mixes from puppy mills up from California about every month or so and rehomes them. A few of my friends have adopted some but they all had kennel cough and had to be treated. Nasty thing was they had other dogs and they caught the cough also. $250.00 adoption fee and a they all came sneutered and with shots, unfortunately not treated for kennel cough which is dumb being it's so cheap and easy to do. :cyclops: :cyclops: :cyclops:

That is weird that they don't treat for kennel cough.
Back to top Go down
mcpug
Warmed up
Warmed up
mcpug

PostSubject: Re: Lakeshore Dog Pound   Tue 22 Jun 2010, 2:52 pm

They are picking him/her up on the weekend if you want to read updates they will be here www.pugalug.com
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Lakeshore Dog Pound   Tue 22 Jun 2010, 4:25 pm

aww you guys this is so cool... about the pup being pulled from the slammer

NO, I do not need any more dogs
Back to top Go down
http://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Lakeshore Dog Pound   Tue 22 Jun 2010, 4:32 pm

mcpug wrote:
We are having the same problem with pugs.

I just got an email this morning from the St Thomas city pound there is a little pug mix there.
Sadly this pound sells to research so I am going to see about springing this little one.
If anyone knows anyone who may be interested let me know, jugs and puggles are notoriously bad to find homes for there are just too many of them.

ETA there is also a little shitzu (sp lol) looks really desperate yet friendly, it says he is in desperate need for grooming......... the pull fee for this pound is 20 dollars but they provide NO vet care and the dogs are kept in a shed like building so they are exposed to the elements its really awful.

Awe... he is cute... I would so cuddle him.

Warmed up
mcpug

PostSubject: Re: Lakeshore Dog Pound   Tue 22 Jun 2010, 5:01 pm

Still working on the jug......

they are so hard to find homes for, all the pug specific rescues don't have room.

I am hesitant to take in any more dogs, the last dog we took in bite one of my children and I haven't taken one in since. But I am still working on it..........
Back to top Go down
BigBrownEyes29
Admin
Admin
BigBrownEyes29

PostSubject: Re: Lakeshore Dog Pound   Tue 22 Jun 2010, 5:15 pm

mcpug wrote:
Still working on the jug......

they are so hard to find homes for, all the pug specific rescues don't have room.

I am hesitant to take in any more dogs, the last dog we took in bite one of my children and I haven't taken one in since. But I am still working on it..........

I'll keep an eye out for anyone who may be interested in this little guy. I'm guessing the St Thomas dog pound is like the Lakeshore one, not a lot of temperament testing like they would do at a humane society, but enough to know that the dog is safe to be adopted out. If you get any tidbits of information on his energy level, if he's good around kids and cats and other dogs, that would help me to pass the word out to more and not limit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lakeshore Dog Pound   

Back to top Go down

Lakeshore Dog Pound
Page 1 of 1