Yorkie's Place

A place to relax, kick back and talk about all things positive and negative in life.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Dog fight

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
rotncorso
Settling in
Settling in

PostSubject: Dog fight   Wed 16 Jun 2010, 11:03 am

My girls got into a fight this morning. We have to burn some of our garbage. I was looking at my flowers when I heard the commotion and they were at the burn barrel fighting. I grabbed a rake (closest thing to me). I(t probably took about 30 seconds to separate them but it felt like forever. thank god there were no serious injuries, I thought for sure there was but Sophie just had a little cut on her ear. I've finaly stopped shaking. And of course when it happened my husband had just pulled out of the driveway so I was alone. When he got back I told him what happened and actualy started to cry.

It's been so long since we have had this happen, I guess I let my guard down. Big mistake. I will have to be much more diligent.
My fear is having to keep them separated forever. These are girls that can be best buddies.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dog fight   Wed 16 Jun 2010, 11:47 am

Don't blame yourself

I know how it feels...

Your adrenaline kicks in. Having multi dogs.. sometimes can lead to fights. Shit happens. Heck I have been there and still working out some kinks.
Back to top Go down
http://kibblesandbits.forumotion.net
GypsyJazmine
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
GypsyJazmine

PostSubject: Re: Dog fight   Wed 16 Jun 2010, 12:20 pm

I have two male Pyrs that fight...It is never fun & not uncommon in my breed...I feel for you!
Here is an article for breaking up a dog fight that I've had to use more than once...With docked breeds they say you can use the back legs instead of the tails.
http://sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library/dogfight.htm
Back to top Go down
Tookey
Warmed up
Warmed up
Tookey

PostSubject: Re: Dog fight   Wed 16 Jun 2010, 12:42 pm

Ive had to break up a few "dog fights" here. My Akita is bad for any other female dog to enter our household so its mind boggling here at times when she gets into her "bitch mode" with other female dogs.

I have been lucky enough though in which my "Hey" separates the dogs. According to many (even my landlord) my "Hey" is blood curdling. My landlord even stated to me that with his machines going (plasma cutter, welder, and band saw all going at once) he can hear my "Hey" clear as day. He joked around the one day and stated who needs guard dogs when we have you living on the shop property!

lol!

But never once blame yourself! like Mini stated Shit happens!
Back to top Go down
rotncorso
Settling in
Settling in

PostSubject: Re: Dog fight   Wed 16 Jun 2010, 2:09 pm

Thanks guys and thanks for the link. I do blame myself, I knew better but messed up. We talked about this in chat this morning and I brought the cattle prod up from the shed and will buy pepper spray tommorow. these girls are usualy best freinds but I never leave them alone together. I had sophie out in the yard with Bella in her kennel and they acted like nothing ever happened. Dont know when I will be ready to have them together again though.
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dog fight   Wed 16 Jun 2010, 2:14 pm

rotncorso wrote:
Thanks guys and thanks for the link. I do blame myself, I knew better but messed up. We talked about this in chat this morning and I brought the cattle prod up from the shed and will buy pepper spray tommorow. these girls are usualy best freinds but I never leave them alone together. I had sophie out in the yard with Bella in her kennel and they acted like nothing ever happened. Dont know when I will be ready to have them together again though.

Don't

as a person who has some issues with fights lately.. Crap. Bosco and Drake and this alpha roll is going to kill me. But we are working on that issue

My pyrs were fighting everyday when I had them on raw. Damn mistake that was.
Back to top Go down
RedyreRotties
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
RedyreRotties

PostSubject: Re: Dog fight   Wed 16 Jun 2010, 2:16 pm

From experience, if it's a real fight, they won't hear ANYTHING. The last fight I had here I sprayed the 2 bitches from a distance of about 36" 3 times with bear pepper spray before they decided to stop. They had bitten each other and my husband up already before I got to them with the pepper spray.

A true dog fight is a very dangerous emergency and if you don't handle it right, you can get hurt badly.

Dogs in the frenzy of the fight have been known to band together and redirect on the person(s) who are trying to break them up. This is how people get killed by their own dogs.

Most people have seen SCUFFLES in dogs, but not a real, high drive, no holds barred fight. In particular when it's between bitches, they are fighting to kill.

Glad everyone is ok, rotncorso, and BE CAREFUL! I know you will.
Back to top Go down
http://www.redyre.com
GypsyJazmine
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
GypsyJazmine

PostSubject: Re: Dog fight   Wed 16 Jun 2010, 2:19 pm

RedyreRotties wrote:
From experience, if it's a real fight, they won't hear ANYTHING. The last fight I had here I sprayed the 2 bitches from a distance of about 36" 3 times with bear pepper spray before they decided to stop. They had bitten each other and my husband up already before I got to them with the pepper spray.

A true dog fight is a very dangerous emergency and if you don't handle it right, you can get hurt badly.

Dogs in the frenzy of the fight have been known to band together and redirect on the person(s) who are trying to break them up. This is how people get killed by their own dogs.

Most people have seen SCUFFLES in dogs, but not a real, high drive, no holds barred fight. In particular when it's between bitches, they are fighting to kill.

That's really scary...When they are tearing the hell out of each other & there is no noise. Shocked
Back to top Go down
rotncorso
Settling in
Settling in

PostSubject: Re: Dog fight   Wed 16 Jun 2010, 2:23 pm

I probably yelled by instinct or panic but I know that would never faze them.
On another forum today I saw a news article that said a 30 year old man was killed by his dogs.I think there were 7 of them.
You wonder what happened and if he could have possibly been trying to break up a fight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dog fight   Wed 16 Jun 2010, 4:17 pm

I only have ankle bitters but they get into sometimes, over nothing. It's so quick to start, then a couple more will join in. I hear noise though. The other day three got into it and I picked one up to save his ass and he bit me...this is unlike him. Guess he was still in fight mode?

I can put the two fighters together in a large pen, and they never fight each other, but when they get with another male, I can't trust them.

I use the garden hose if outside, but not much works inside unless I want to soak the house with a hose.

Pepper spray, don't know if I could do that, but sure would save some nasty bites happening. Vet bills too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dog fight   Wed 16 Jun 2010, 4:43 pm

oh yeah thoes little ones can be vicious, relentles fighters, we think we have it bad , imagine people with the big guyes, i have scars on my arm where i pulled two standards apart. thoes girls ment business. how are your guyes doing nicki
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dog fight   Wed 16 Jun 2010, 4:57 pm

Good thanks Dachsiedude, but those two nasty tempered ones, went after my smallest male and it could have been a kill, if I hadn't been standing there watching. Makes me shake all over when they fight like that. They go for the groin everytime. Then the ears, these little ones can do damage to each other. I'm seriously cosidering pepper spray, I just need more info, like how long it takes to stop stinging, do they howl and scream??? I've never used the stuff, but am tired of throwing water everywhere, and sometimes that doesn't work.

How you doing.. How's that gorgeous "cream girl" ... you lucky...@#$%^... LOL - can you post some pics??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dog fight   Wed 16 Jun 2010, 5:00 pm

RedyreRotties wrote:

I know we don't like each other, but knowledge is knowledge, so please tell me more about the silent fights, I'm interested to know why this happens. Is this a more dangerous fighting, than the noise ones...?

How long does pepper spray last before the dog re-coops from it? And do they yell and scream for long? Would you advise it for dachshunds??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dog fight   Wed 16 Jun 2010, 5:13 pm

i must agree pack fights are the worse, and they hold a grudge. i am trading honey for a choc / tan, out of great lines, and i have another cream breeding done, so there will be cream babys in2 mos. i think my friend down south wants one in jan, so i will have to keep a couple back. my black/ cream female is related to your cujo. should be nice litter. maybe a little wee squirt of that pepper spray would divert them from a fight, i would like to know more about that too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dog fight   Wed 16 Jun 2010, 5:50 pm

Black/cream related...ooooh, c'mon, you're killing me.. I gotta get down your way. I'll bring my "doggie"...

Creams in a couple of months...oh, again, I'm jealous. Good for you though Dach...pleased you have the creams.
And your dream is coming true!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dog fight   Wed 16 Jun 2010, 5:55 pm

dachiedude wrote:
i must agree pack fights are the worse, and they hold a grudge. i am trading honey for a choc / tan, out of great lines, and i have another cream breeding done, so there will be cream babys in2 mos. i think my friend down south wants one in jan, so i will have to keep a couple back. my black/ cream female is related to your cujo. should be nice litter. maybe a little wee squirt of that pepper spray would divert them from a fight, i would like to know more about that too.

Yes, that pepper spray sounds like it might beat the damned water all over the floor... I grab whatever I can to stop them, but it's so quick and they are moving so fast, and...they don't let go of each other, they just keep on going, takes me a few minutes to stop a fight. Damage gets done, I've been to the vets a few times because of bitten legs,ears,groin...

It's hard to catch them as they can get in and under places and keep fighting...then I have to stick my head and hands in to grab at them...not a good idea at times. I just might try pepper spray, but have never used it before, so, a wee bit, then if that doesn't stop them ... I guess, another wee bit til they release each other.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dog fight   Wed 16 Jun 2010, 11:22 pm

RR aka RED, I speak to you nicely and you won't answer me. I ask a genuine question and you go mute...kk, I can deal with that. You're no expert anyway, many people know the answer to "silent fights" if there is really such a thing.

Back to top Go down
kbullet
kbullet

PostSubject: Re: Dog fight   Wed 16 Jun 2010, 11:24 pm

Nicki wrote:
RR aka RED, I speak to you nicely and you won't answer me. I ask a genuine question and you go mute...kk, I can deal with that. You're no expert anyway, many people know the answer to "silent fights" if there is really such a thing.

You need to re-read her post.. it doesn't say that the dogs are quiet.. it says that if it is a true dog fight, they can't hear you.... So, when you yell at them, it does nothing.

Learning the Ropes
GypsyJazmine

PostSubject: Re: Dog fight   Wed 16 Jun 2010, 11:31 pm

Nicki wrote:

In a fight to kill there is no noise from the dogs...They have too full of a mouth of each other to make any noise...It is very eerie....There is such a thing they are just few & far between in general & if you see one you never forget it. Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
Mini
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dog fight   Wed 16 Jun 2010, 11:43 pm

GypsyJazmine wrote:
Nicki wrote:

In a fight to kill there is no noise from the dogs...They have too full of a mouth of each other to make any noise...It is very eerie....There is such a thing they are just few & far between in general & if you see one you never forget it. Shocked Shocked

NO you wont or if you see one dog. with the fight to kill. he is silent with his attacks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dog fight   Thu 17 Jun 2010, 12:18 am

kbullet wrote:
Nicki wrote:

You need to re-read her post.. it doesn't say that the dogs are quiet.. it says that if it is a true dog fight, they can't hear you.... So, when you yell at them, it does nothing.

Yeah, she did say that..sorry... Embarassed But it appears there are silent dog fights..scary!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dog fight   Thu 17 Jun 2010, 12:22 am

Oh, no thanks, I don't want to ever experience that. I have never heard of it, but now I know...

Learn something new everyday.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dog fight   Thu 17 Jun 2010, 9:10 am

my males will fight if there is a bitch coming into season, easy to remidy, remove the bitch, now the bitches of paradise is another story, they get pissed off if someone is having, pups, thinking a bout pups, or even seen on out the corner of her eye. the girls are jelly belly bitches, each one wants all the puppies, even some of the fixed ones participate,
Back to top Go down
RedyreRotties
Learning the Ropes
Learning the Ropes
RedyreRotties

PostSubject: Re: Dog fight   Thu 17 Jun 2010, 9:51 am

Nicki wrote:

I know we don't like each other, but knowledge is knowledge, so please tell me more about the silent fights, I'm interested to know why this happens. Is this a more dangerous fighting, than the noise ones...?

How long does pepper spray last before the dog re-coops from it? And do they yell and scream for long? Would you advise it for dachshunds??

Good god, your avatar is amazing. I had no idea that someone could actually look that insane in a photo.
Back to top Go down
http://www.redyre.com
rotncorso
Settling in
Settling in

PostSubject: Re: Dog fight   Thu 17 Jun 2010, 10:35 am

Very Happy That made me laugh out loud.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dog fight   

Back to top Go down

Dog fight